By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will be the first to hit 50 million (HD consoles only)

HD console race first to 50 million console sales:
XBox 360 sits on 35.80 million
PS3 sits on 30.10 million
360 needs to sell 14.20 million in 18 months. (average of 788, 889 units per month)
PS3 needs to sell 19.90 million in 18 months. (average of 1,105,556 units per month)

Sales per week to reach 50 million console sales:
360 needs to sell on average 177,500 units per week for the next 80 weeks.
PS3 needs to sell on average 248,750 units per week for the next 80 weeks.

Around the Network

You Don't really think that its going to have an effect like the wii did do you? The masses? ok let me explain this to you

elderly people play the wii
a lot of Females love the wii
kids love the wii
Blokes mostly like the wii because they know if they get it to make the wife happy they might get "some" that night.

That is the mass audience the wii sold too, my nan plays the wii, can you imgine what games and elderly person would like to play on NATAL? can you imagine your nan playing halo reach???

do you imagine lots of women who like the wii wanting to jump ships really?
and what happens to the blokes who can't be arsed to get up jump around and pretend to shoot after a hard days work, the people that just want to use a controller, Yes nintendo took the chance and make it well, Microsoft is blatantly copying because they saw the sucess but its really not going to work out the same, like i said. yes it will sell and it will find and audience but nothing in comparison to what the Wii found

The Gap right now should be 5.3 / 5.4M, and by the end of 2010, it will be 2M, with PS3 at 46M and 360 at 48.

So, 360 will be the first to reach 50M, just my forecast, don't quote it !

Anyway, it's meaningless, as PS3 is now selling a lot better than 360 worldwide, and we all know that 360 was launched 1 full year before PS3 in America and Japan, and nearly 16 months before in Europe.  Now, if you consider this, and the fact PS3 has already a bigger user-base than 360 in Japan, Europe and Others(check the charts), we have a winner!   The only place where 360 has a bigger user-base is America; in all other territories PS3 has a bigger user-base, not bad for a console released later than the MS one. see above.

numonex said:
HD console race first to 50 million console sales:
XBox 360 sits on 35.80 million
PS3 sits on 30.10 million
360 needs to sell 14.20 million in 18 months. (average of 788, 889 units per month)
PS3 needs to sell 19.90 million in 18 months. (average of 1,105,556 units per month)

Thats pretty much what the sales where before the holiday sales came in , Which is why i think this will be a very close race indeed
thanks for working that out.

phinch1 said:
You Don't really think that its going to have an effect like the wii did do you? The masses? ok let me explain this to you

elderly people play the wii     No controller makes casual games even less confusing... +elderly
a lot of Females love the wii   Fitness games that track complete body movement and use Xbox Live to compare workout stats, etc... +females
kids love the wii  Kids will love Milo & Kate... +kids
Blokes mostly like the wii because they know if they get it to make the wife happy they might get "some" that night.  See above... +"blokes"

That is the mass audience the wii sold too, my nan plays the wii, can you imgine what games and elderly person would like to play on NATAL? can you imagine your nan playing halo reach???  No but does she like game shows?  What about bowling?  What about playing with her nephew from afar and being able to see him!

do you imagine lots of women who like the wii wanting to jump ships really?  Yes I can actually when new fitness software that emphasis group experiences is released.  That's the power of Natal + Xbox Live.

and what happens to the blokes who can't be arsed to get up jump around and pretend to shoot after a hard days work, the people that just want to use a controller, Yes nintendo took the chance and make it well, Microsoft is blatantly copying but its really not going to work out the same Blantantly copying?  Do you mean with a "wand" like controller?  Or can you show me all the hands free gesture driven Nintendo games? 

Responses in red...

"Shame on Sony for being made a fool of twice!" -Anonymous gamer in 2011

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
phinch1 said:

elderly people play the wii     No controller makes casual games even less confusing... +elderly
I'd love to see an elderly person get past the dashboard

a lot of Females love the wii   Fitness games that track complete body movement and use Xbox Live to compare workout stats, etc... +females
what fitness games have been announced or are you making assumptions? if they do make fitness games, will people who already own a wii and wii fit buy the copy cat version so they can have both?
Milo was scripted
Blokes mostly like the wii because they know if they get it to make the wife happy they might get "some" that night.  See above... +"blokes"
see above his wife would probably hit him for wasting money in this recesion on something they already have

That is the mass audience the wii sold too, my nan plays the wii, can you imgine what games and elderly person would like to play on NATAL? can you imagine your nan playing halo reach???  No but does she like game shows?  What about bowling?  What about playing with her nephew from afar and being able to see him!
If she likes bowling i think everyone would recomned to her the wii> 360 any day of the week

do you imagine lots of women who like the wii wanting to jump ships really?  Yes I can actually when new fitness software that emphasis group experiences is released.  That's the power of Natal + Xbox Live.
No use common sense its a waste of money on what they already have

and what happens to the blokes who can't be arsed to get up jump around and pretend to shoot after a hard days work, the people that just want to use a controller, Yes nintendo took the chance and make it well, Microsoft is blatantly copying but its really not going to work out the same Blantantly copying?  Do you mean with a "wand" like controller?  Or can you show me all the hands free gesture driven Nintendo games?  like i said earlier in the thread yes microsoft and sony are copying, but sony knows from first hand expirience not to put there all into it, which seems to be what they are doing with natal.

Responses in red...
thanks for the update captain obvious "my responses to your responses in yellow"

"how the hell does that quote even fit in here" not an anonymouse gamer but phinch made on vg chartz

I can do quotes too you know.

Some people are really underestimating the PS3.

phinch1 said:
Legend11 said:
phinch1 said:

The system can be set up to not go into the dashboard

what fitness games have been announced or are you making assumptions? if they do make fitness games, will people who already own a wii and wii fit buy the copy cat version so they can have both?
People never buy whatever the latest fitness craze is right?  That's why there's no fitness industry anymore...

Milo was scripted
And...?  Do you think kids are really expecting the next AI breakthrough?  They'll be happy to finger paint witha character on the screen.

see above his wife would probably hit him for wasting money on something they already have
No worries since it'll probably be the wives buying it anyways.

If she likes bowling i think everyone would recomned to her the wii> 360 any day of the week
Wait, the same nan that couldn't bypass a dashboard earlier is going to prefer trying to figure out a Wii remote over using just her body?

Is that why the fitness and weight loss industries are so big? 

and what happens to the blokes who can't be arsed to get up jump around and pretend to shoot after a hard days work, the people that just want to use a controller, Yes nintendo took the chance and make it well, Microsoft is blatantly copying but its really not going to work out the same Blantantly copying?  Do you mean with a "wand" like controller?  Or can you show me all the hands free gesture driven Nintendo games?  like i said earlier in the thread yes microsoft and sony are copying, but sony knows from first hand expirience not to put there all into it, which seems to be what they are doing with natal.
Yeah Sony learned from the last time but Microsoft hasn't learned anything.  That's why Sony promotes their motion controller to core gamers and Microsoft to casuals, because they learned from Nintendo's success (it's Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition that is responsible for the Wii's amazing sales success not Wii Sports, right?!?).

Responses in red...
thanks for the update captain obvious "my responses to your responses in yellow"

"how the hell does that quote even fit in here" not an anonymouse gamer but phinch made on vg chartz

sabby_e17 said:
Some people are really underestimating the PS3.

exactly, lets look at what numonex said

This is pretty much what it was selling at even before the holiday period, grand turismo release and final fantasy will help chew those bad boy numbers down too NOM NOM

but yes as you said sabby a lot of people are underestimating the ps3
everyone underestimated the slim sales
everyone underestimated black friday numbers
everyone doubted the slim would sell 1 million in one week
everyone doubted it would hit 30 million by the years end

Legend11 said:
phinch1 said:
Legend11 said:
phinch1 said:

The system can be set up to not go into the dashboard

People never buy whatever the latest fitness craze is right?  That's why there's no fitness industry anymore...

Milo was scripted
And...?  Do you think kids are really expecting the next AI breakthrough?  They'll be happy to finger paint witha character on the screen.

see above his wife would probably hit him for wasting money on something they already have
No worries since it'll probably be the wives buying it anyways.

Wait, the same nan that couldn't bypass a dashboard earlier is going to prefer trying to figure out a Wii remote over using just her body?

Is that why the fitness and weight loss industries are so big? 

Yeah Sony learned from the last time but Microsoft hasn't learned anything.  That's why Sony promotes their motion controller to core gamers and Microsoft to casuals, because they learned from Nintendo's success (it's Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition that is responsible for the Wii's amazing sales success not Wii Sports, right?!?).

Responses in red...

When sony introduced casual motion sensing and exercising together this happend it had some successand the other eye toy games after it but still some idea like this (NATAL) won 't catch the Wii success