By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will be the first to hit 50 million (HD consoles only)

playstation 3 and it pretty simple aswell if you look at it it. the 360 is on its 5th year and dont get me wrong the sales are great for the 360 if you look at the first xbox but then you look at the ps3 and how its trending at a much faster pace. it took the 360 quite a while to hit 35 million, the ps3 will probably be past 50 million before its 5th year even starts! the 360 on its 5th year and already very affordable, i dont see anything giving it a major sustained boost. maybe it has 1 more price cut in it

Around the Network
eliasg said:
If you play MW2 on XBOX360 you will find out why XBOX360 is going to hit this target first...

*Yesterday 900K gamers were playing this game (online) in the same time...

Just 14 millions away from this goal, just...

if you played the playstation version you would also see a similar numbers, so what was your point, the more people play call of duty online  the faster it will hit 50 million?? come back with some logic and good reason please.

Always puzzles me why I see people posting beliefs that the 360 has dropped price very quickly and the PS3 has held the line. Fact of the matter is when the 360 launched in 2005 the SKUs were 2.

1 without any memory device at all sold for $299
1 with a HDD and HD cables sold for $399

Fast forward to 2009

1 with a memory card, but no HDD sells for $199
1 with a HDD and no HD cables sells for $299

The 360 is going to have an awesomely profitable quarter with profitable hardware (both skus), very profitable accessories, very profitable software. A high percentage of every Arcade sold will turn into a profitable HDD sale in the future. The 360 business will have the resources in 2010 to cut the retail price of the Arcade by $50-$70 and the Elite by $100 and then revamp the whole line with a new redesigned line at the end of the year that is built with the ability to have the Natal processing inside the box. This will result in a new SKU with Natal built in as well as Natal available as a standalone accessory. Something like the following:

Arcade $129-$149
HDD SKU $199 - Doesnt make sense calling it Elite any longer
Natal SKU $249-$299

Standalone Natal selling for $99

360 marketshare will start increasing again and will be first HD console to hit 50 million. GT5 is Sony last premium IP to release that has any chance of pushing hardware sales and its power to do that has been diminished by GT5P, hardware sales already 32+ million. Look at FFXIII in Japan for instance the PS3 sales increased by about 150K the first week over what the naturally occuring increase whould have been simply because of holiday spending. GT5 will have less of an impact.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

xbox 360 will get there first because when natal releases the 360 will sell 50 million in one day! time to get your head outta ur asses guys. natal aint gonna do shit and neither is the sony wand thing. both of them are gonna flop. only the wii can pull of motion controls.

eliasg said:
If you play MW2 on XBOX360 you will find out why XBOX360 is going to hit this target first...

*Yesterday 900K gamers were playing this game (online) in the same time...

Just 14 millions away from this goal, just...

what the hell are you talking about?

Around the Network
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
xbox 360 will get there first because when natal releases the 360 will sell 50 million in one day! time to get your head outta ur asses guys. natal aint gonna do shit and neither is the sony wand thing. both of them are gonna flop. only the wii can pull of motion controls.

I don't believe natal will do that much either, I mean sure it will sell, but nothing amazing. which is why  im glad Sony isnt putting there all into the wand

phinch1 said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

I don't believe natal will do that much either, I mean sure it will sell, but nothing amazing. which is why  im glad Sony isnt putting there all into the wand

(I wonder if your comments will resemble this in a year or two...)

I don't believe Wii will do that much either, I mean sure it will sell, but nothing amazing.  Which is why im glad Sony isnt putting there all into the Sixaxis.

Legend11 said:
phinch1 said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

I don't believe Wii will do that much either, I mean sure it will sell, but nothing amazing.  Which is why im glad Sony isnt putting there all into the Sixaxis.

I didnt get where you where going with that at all, Sony never put much into Sixasis

At this rate: PS3, but Rol's logic is smart

phinch1 said:
Legend11 said:
phinch1 said:
SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

I didnt get where you where going with that at all, Sony never put much into Sixasis

Nintendo took a big gamble and Sony played it safe and paid the price for it.  Now history appears to be repeating itself with Microsoft taking the big gamble and Sony playing it safe.  Even both E3s (for Sixaxis and Sony Wand) resemble each other (during both Sony presentations they demonstrated their motion controllers with core games while Nintendo and now Microsoft clearly aim their motion controllers at the mass market).  It's amazing how Sony seems to have learned absolutely nothing from the Wii. not even from its brilliant marketing.