By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will be the first to hit 50 million (HD consoles only)

Which Console will be the first to hit 50 million units worldwide. Will it be the 360 or the PS3??

Try to give as many reasons as you can to back up yours explanation like games that are releasing, hardware devices

Around the Network

if one of them does, it will be the ps3. Mainly due to (a) has alot more momentum at the moment and going into the future than the 360 and (b) has more room for further price cuts.

However, alot depends on how consumers react to the wand/gem and Natal.

PS3

Momentum
Higher demand
Bigger future releases
More high profile releases
Some still waiting for that magic cost mark
360 already hit that point where the majority can afford
Price cut particualrly in others is boosting sales dramatically and ultimatly ahead of 360

PS3

Its out selling it right now
GT5 will kill 360 in Europe
Br adoption increase
Better value
More big games (GT5 GoW3 FFVersus)

PS3.

It will overtake 360 no longer than March 2011 and from then onwards, 360 won't be able to outsell PS3.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The 360.

1) It still has a lead of more than 5m units.
2) I expect Microsoft to drop the price next year, while Sony most likely won't. This is going to shift the momentum back in Microsoft's favor before the PS3 has caught up.
3) Currently the 360 is only 14m away from the 50m mark.
4) By selling roughly another 10m units next year, the 360 will be only 4m away from the target while still being in the lead over the PS3 by at least 2m units with the gap increasing in Microsoft's favor or remaining stagnant.
5) Selling about 4m should be doable in the first half of 2011 and even a price drop of the PS3 in spring won't be enough to overtake the 360 before it hits 50 million.
6) Exclusive games and motion controls from both sides will most likely offset each other, so they don't have to be taken in consideration.

This man speaks the truth, as always!

I think it will be very close between the 2, but i can see it being the PS3

I agree with hus, Blu ray will eventually become the norm in house holds, now that a lot of people are buying HD tv's they will want to watch films in high deff too which is where blu ray comes in, This will definitely help Ps3 sales and push it in their favor

Good library of games to keep those sales high including some giants such as gt5 and ff13

I think we will be seeing an almost photo finish to this race.

My mind says Xbox 360.
My heart says Playstation 3.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

RolStoppable said:
The 360.

2) I expect Microsoft to drop the price next year, while Sony most likely won't. This is going to shift the momentum back in Microsoft's favor before the PS3 has caught up.
4) By selling roughly another 10m units next year, the 360 will be only 4m away from the target while still being in the lead over the PS3 by at least 2m units with the gap increasing in Microsoft's favor or remaining stagnant.
5) Selling about 4m should be doable in the first half of 2011 and even a price drop of the PS3 in spring won't be enough to overtake the 360 before it hits 50 million.
6) Exclusive games and motion controls from both sides will most likely offset each other, so they don't have to be taken in consideration.

110% agree

RolStoppable said:
The 360.

So so wrong and you know it, i guess its to be expected on here.

GT5 will be a massive hardware mover, MS has nothing of that sort left.  They have nothing at all to counter this juggernaut, A 4th Halo wont move hardware.  First full GT of the gen will.