By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will be the first to hit 50 million (HD consoles only)

RolStoppable said:
The 360.

1) It still has a lead of more than 5m units.
Yes a disadvantage but since the slims launched it shaved off over 2 million of the origional gap within 3 months Playstation has a lot of catch up to do, but its nothing impossible
2) I expect Microsoft to drop the price next year, while Sony most likely won't. This is going to shift the momentum back in Microsoft's favor before the PS3 has caught up.
I dont think they will cut the price, if they do not by a lot becuase I think they will start to makes themselves look cheap, I think they will bundle together will natal
3) Currently the 360 is only 14m away from the 50m mark.
Ps3 is 19.10 away, but with Final fantasy in europe to come along with gt5 I think we will se a major jump in sales
4) By selling roughly another 10m units next year, the 360 will be only 4m away from the target while still being in the lead over the PS3 by at least 2m units with the gap increasing in Microsoft's favor or remaining stagnant.
You have me stumped here touche :P
5) Selling about 4m should be doable in the first half of 2011 and even a price drop of the PS3 in spring won't be enough to overtake the 360 before it hits 50 million.
where have I heard before the price drop for the ps3 won't do much :P a lot of people ate crow for this you know
6) Exclusive games and motion controls from both sides will most likely offset each other, so they don't have to be taken in consideration.
Yeah i guess it depends on whos comes out with the best motion control games or the more apealing

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Hus said:

So so wrong and you know it, i guess its to be expected on here.

GT5 will be a massive hardware mover, MS has nothing of that sort left.  They have nothing at all to counter this juggernaut, A 4th Halo wont move hardware.  First full GT of the gen will.  

Fine, I'll give you a full extra million of PS3 sales due to GT5. But if GT5 is indeed that big, Microsoft may drop the price of the 360 in late spring instead of September and we both know that price drops had much bigger effects on 360 vs. PS3 sales than anything else.

$179 $250 price wont have 1/4th the affect Slim had.

So what price do you see the 360 at, if a cut happens.

360 as of now....unless the following senario happens.

*MS releases their next console next year and drop support for 360.
*Sony continues to outsell the 360 massively and over take 360 by 2010.
*If natal fails to be the monster console mover.

I believe Sony will always outsell 360 y 70k weekly from now on. So the difference is 5.7 million and should be like 5.4 or so in Jan 1. So I see it as 50 weeks= 3.5 million -5 million less. I think It'll be like 48 million 360/ and 46 million.

But I would think 360 first. Though I wouldn't be surprised other wise and it'll be a close race either way. With Natal/ Gem
its hard to tell.

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

Go America. Boo Japan

Repent or be destroyed

Around the Network
XxXProphecyXxX said:
360 as of now....unless the following senario happens.

*MS releases their next console next year and drop support for 360.
*Sony continues to outsell the 360 massively and over take 360 by 2010.
*If natal fails to be the monster console mover.

I don't think it was ever suppose to be a monster console mover, It has a very limeted audiance... yes the wii sold very well, but its a very fun console and has a larger audiance, ask most families what consoles the females of the house want, and i bet 95% of the time it would be the wii, the 360 and ps3 have blatently jumped on the motion control band wagon, but at least Sony isnt putting there all into it as they know from first hand expirience it will sell, but nothing to great maybe just a little phase

RolStoppable said:
phinch1 said:
RolStoppable said:
The 360.

1) It still has a lead of more than 5m units.
Yes a disadvantage but since the slims launched it shaved off over 2 million of the origional gap within 3 months Playstation has a lot of catch up to do, but its nothing impossible
2) I expect Microsoft to drop the price next year, while Sony most likely won't. This is going to shift the momentum back in Microsoft's favor before the PS3 has caught up.
I dont think they will cut the price, if they do not by a lot becuase I think they will start to makes themselves look cheap, I think they will bundle together will natal
3) Currently the 360 is only 14m away from the 50m mark.
Ps3 is 19.10 away, but with Final fantasy in europe to come along with gt5 I think we will se a major jump in sales
4) By selling roughly another 10m units next year, the 360 will be only 4m away from the target while still being in the lead over the PS3 by at least 2m units with the gap increasing in Microsoft's favor or remaining stagnant.
You have me stumped here touche :P
5) Selling about 4m should be doable in the first half of 2011 and even a price drop of the PS3 in spring won't be enough to overtake the 360 before it hits 50 million.
where have I heard before the price drop for the ps3 won't do much :P a lot of people ate crow for this you know
6) Exclusive games and motion controls from both sides will most likely offset each other, so they don't have to be taken in consideration.
Yeah i guess it depends on whos comes out with the best motion control games or the more apealing

1) In 2008, the price drop of the 360 had a similar effect on the gap between the two HD consoles. The next price drop of the 360 might not have an effect of the same scale, but an effect nonetheless.

2) It has been a long time since the last significant 360 price cut and if Microsoft really wants to beat Sony, they won't mind being perceived to be cheap by a small group of people on the internet. The mass market most likely won't care and will be happy to get something for less money than before.

3) I also expect quite some good PS3 sales next year and the gap closing over the next twelve months despite a price cut from Microsoft later in 2010, see point 4.

5) See your response to point 1. The PS3 managed to shave off two million of the gap during the holiday quarter, the best time of the year for video game sales. It's unlikely that the PS3 can do the same thing during the slower spring period.

I think that is why gt5 and ff13 are released then, it wont be a slow spring season at all :)

I'm going 360 early 2011 and ps3 early 2012. Mainly because I'm anticipating 360 to outsell ps3 in fall 2010 by a significant margin because of the natal launch and a price cut which will certainly be at least a $50 cut.

RolStoppable said:
Hus said:
RolStoppable said:

Fine, I'll give you a full extra million of PS3 sales due to GT5. But if GT5 is indeed that big, Microsoft may drop the price of the 360 in late spring instead of September and we both know that price drops had much bigger effects on 360 vs. PS3 sales than anything else.

More like $149 Arcade, $199 Elite. Or at least one (maybe even two) permanently bundled game(s) in case the Elite remains at a price above $200.

not gonna happen, look at original xbox pricing. 

RolStoppable said:
Hus said:
RolStoppable said:
Hus said:

More like $149 Arcade, $199 Elite. Or at least one (maybe even two) permanently bundled game(s) in case the Elite remains at a price above $200.

not gonna happen, look at original xbox pricing. 

Which had a price drop from $299 to $199 in a single step? What is your point?

Its already $199 genius.