By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony fighting back?

Harry Potter showed for the 360 here ... on the other hand PES08 is showed only for Sony consoles ( here is still a big Sony culture ) .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Fonzerelli said:
Sony should be consolidating the territories it is strong in with the PS3, namely Japan and PAL territories. I dont think Pub's and Dev's will have problems in making thier multi platform releases PS3 region specific exclusive in Japan and E.U.
Once PS3 gains a hold in these territories, multi platform pub's will start treating the PS3 versions with more respect.

Ace Combat 5 could have gone multi platform or PS3 exclusive had Sony given some sugar to Konami. Ubisoft could have retained Assassins Creed as PS3 exclusive in E.U & Japan. Mercenaries 2, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 4 etc .. could still have been region specific exclusive's if sony would have tried.

It could be a little too expensive for Sony to start buying multiplatform games as exclusives. And since internet exists, people will pretty soon get the idea of "publisher fucking with us" and it would hurt the publishers sales. And besides, i don't think that Sony want's to start fighting with money with Micro$oft, or even with Nintendo (i think also Nintendo would have more money to put on money race on games, than Sony at the moment). Just look at the big titles gone multiplatform from PS3 exclusive, if they can't even keep the game exclusive, how would they afford (even timed) exclusivity to a planned multiplat title. Resident Evil 4 is a great example, IMO, about the situation where Sony is at the moment. It indeed was a planned exclusive, but eventually Capcom decided to go multiplatform with the game. So it stayed only as timed exclusive, and as soon as the contract with Nintendo expired, they ported the game for PS2. Only difference this time is, that Sony is the one losing the exclusives to more popular platforms. Anyway, focusing to European market, would lead majority of NA and Japanese developers to focus more on 360 and Wii, since they sell a lot better (PAL region is the least problem for PS3). It could bring a lot more focus on Buzz/Singstar type of games on PS3, and most of the European developers aim at the North-American market (and are often owned by NA companies). So focusing to PAL regions, may even lead to PS3 eventually leaving without games.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Every time you think about how Sony can use their money in this fight, remember the following:

Microsoft paid $50 million to get exclusive content for GTA4. Not a game, just additional episodic content.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I don't see the 3rd party platform specific commercials... but I see the PS3 commercial (where it shows off all of it's features, and transforms at the end) very often

Here (America) I've seen the Assassin's creed ad with the PS3 logo at the end, and the new PS3 ad with it transforming (much better than previous ads IMO).

The 360 ad where they setup a 360 on the side of the road and show the covers of Bioshock, Halo3, and ME (not very good IMO). But, what I have noticed, is that the 360 has been showing up in TV shows and Movies more, the most notable was the last episode of Scrubs where Turk's storyline revolved around beating a game on the 360 that was supposed to be Halo, but wasn't.

For Wii, I've only seen a few "Wii would like to play" ads.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

Uh, a few days ago gamesindustry.biz had a story on Sony's campaign for the 40g model which was billed as one of the biggest advertising campaigns that they have done. So, given the importance of a new hardware product versus individual titles, I would concentrate on the hardware as well for now. Anyway, Sony is also putting out a big "I do Blu" campaign to promote Blu-ray as well. The marketing is there y'all.

oh yeah, also just saw this on joystiq:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/05/european-ps3-ad-takes-a-step-back-into-crazytown/

I don't understand why it seems so hard to make a decent console comercial, IMO, you just need 3 things:

1) Video Montage
2) Music (preferably metal)
3) Logo at the end

The only exception would probably be the Wii, where you would replace Video Montage with groups of people playing and laughing montage.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

altimus said:
Uh, a few days ago gamesindustry.biz had a story on Sony's campaign for the 40g model which was billed as one of the biggest advertising campaigns that they have done. So, given the importance of a new hardware product versus individual titles, I would concentrate on the hardware as well for now. Anyway, Sony is also putting out a big "I do Blu" campaign to promote Blu-ray as well. The marketing is there y'all.

I wonder what happened to red, which they used to use. Maybe they left it to Micro$oft. Play b3yond. Anyway, Sony does have good (=efficient) marketing, although this far with PS3 they have pretty much fucked it up. Maybe new campaign with new slogans will help boosting the sales. Problem is, that people who saw the PSX ads, and thought they were cool, have grown up, and therefore need new kinds of ads and the people who have seen PS-family ads since a little kid, don't get the "cool" factor, they have grown numb to the "traditional" PS ads.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I have noticed a lot more PS3 ads, but the thing that may be confusing is the two diffrent Simpsons ads to non gamers, as one shows PS3 games only, and the other shows allplatforms non PS# with focus on 360.

right now the ps3 favoring ones run about 3 times as often, but still seems like a strange stratagy

I have yet to see an assassins creed ad. the black hand/gameplay ad has to be the ps3s best

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

king_of_the_castle said:
Here (America) I've seen the Assassin's creed ad with the PS3 logo at the end, and the new PS3 ad with it transforming (much better than previous ads IMO).

The 360 ad where they setup a 360 on the side of the road and show the covers of Bioshock, Halo3, and ME (not very good IMO). But, what I have noticed, is that the 360 has been showing up in TV shows and Movies more, the most notable was the last episode of Scrubs where Turk's storyline revolved around beating a game on the 360 that was supposed to be Halo, but wasn't.

For Wii, I've only seen a few "Wii would like to play" ads.

Yeah, I thought it was COD until they started mentioning aliens.