By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony fighting back?

It is something they have needed to do for quite a while really, but better late then never. I just hope this isn't about a holiday ad ramp up only for them, as I think it would be very smart for them to continue this throughout '08 as well.

I'm not sure how big of an impact this sort of thing has, but anything Sony does to raise the appeal of the console and increase its value in the public perception is a win for them.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

I see mostly PS3 ads myself. I've seen like 3or4 versions of the one with the Salivia song already. The 60 second about as much as the 30 second ones combined no less... these are mostly on the sports channels.

The HS adds still run. EOJ adds show up late at night. Ratchet and Clank adds are everywhere. Simpsons adds are all over the place, only with PS3 that i've seen. Assassains Creed a couple times... with PS3 only.

I see a lot of 360 adds too... but only the one where you hardly see any gameplay, you see the cover of Mass effect.... and a bunch of people are setting up an 360 and having fun, while kids sing.

My favorite thing is that the commercial starts with "For mature audiences only" then they break in directly with the kids singing. It's just unintentiaonally hilarious.

Haven't seen a Wii add in a while... that I can remember, MP3 was the last i remember. Then again with Wii adds I zone out. The "Wii would like to play" was hilarious and fun... but it's getting old.

I'd say it's 70-20-10 that I see advertising wise.

Yep, but the only ad I see around here is the PS3 ad for the 40GB of 399 Euro ;) And a lot of DS commercials these days.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Dallinor said:
madskillz said:
Sony is focusing on winning the U.S. market. It's no secret that Sony is tanking in the U.S., so they are using their ad bucks here ... and not so much overseas. They have already figured Euro and Asian gamers are gonna buy their crap anyhow ... in the U.S.? Not so much ...

At least try not to sound biased.

ROTFL ... that came out wrong ... 

Nice avatar, btw ... I love it! 

Here in France most of the multisupport games ads only mention Sony systems, and it's been the case for months. The latest one is the Simpsons which shows PS3, PS2 and PSP versions.
But overall, most of the TV ads are for the Wii (Metroid Prime 3, Brain Academy, Wii Sports, Mario Strikers, Mario Party... these ones are airing all the time). Then there are a few 360 ads (Bioshock, PGR4, Halo3), a few DS ads (Brain Training 1&2, Pokemon, New SMB), and a few PS2 ads (Singstar, Buzz). The only PS3 ad that I've ever seen is Heavenly Sword.
So I think that even with the multi games counted for the PS3, there are still more 360 ads, and a lot, lot more Wii ads.

Around the Network

Seems Sony has realized it must do the same as last generation with advertising etc and that it cant just rely on brand name alone .Its a good time to unleash a advertising media like this ,with the PS3 at 399 and a lot of good games coming (Ratchet and Clank ,Assasins Creed ,Call of Duty 4 plus mediatic ones as the Simpsons etc ) .

TWRoO - Half way through the add it shows all three playstation versions, not just the PS2 version.

Third party exclusive ads don't necessarily translate into much power. For example, Nintendo basically had all the EA ads in 2004-2005 for Madden and NCAA and SSX On tour and all that, and what most people did was go out and buy the version for the PS2.

It doesn't help much, trust me,

Deguello said:
Third party exclusive ads don't necessarily translate into much power. For example, Nintendo basically had all the EA ads in 2004-2005 for Madden and NCAA and SSX On tour and all that, and what most people did was go out and buy the version for the PS2.

It doesn't help much, trust me,

I thought the same thing when I went and bought the Simpsons game for 360. It 's funny how my cousins friends saw the Assassins Creed commercial and then said "I need to hurry up and get a 360!" Don't get me wrong though, I do think these commercials will make a diference. I just don't see it causing mass sales. Then again what commercial does?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Sony should be consolidating the territories it is strong in with the PS3, namely Japan and PAL territories. I dont think Pub's and Dev's will have problems in making thier multi platform releases PS3 region specific exclusive in Japan and E.U.
Once PS3 gains a hold in these territories, multi platform pub's will start treating the PS3 versions with more respect.

Ace Combat 5 could have gone multi platform or PS3 exclusive had Sony given some sugar to Konami. Ubisoft could have retained Assassins Creed as PS3 exclusive in E.U & Japan. Mercenaries 2, Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 4 etc .. could still have been region specific exclusive's if sony would have tried.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>