By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should any fan of the FF series be worried about FF XIII?

As long as it is not like VIII, I'm not worried

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
the_bloodwalker said:
And I know many that have regrets of purchasing FFX, it happened with XII too

I suspect there will be some that will regret buying FFXIII.

Alot of people loved FFX.  It was FFXII that people regret buying.  It might seem like FFX gets a lot of hate but that is only because haters are the most vocal.

@Op

FF will be fine. 

I will nitpick one part of the comment. FF is linear. Do you know what Linear means. I'm sure you do. Linear means that you cannot progress the story without having to meet earlier requirements. All FF games are linear in that the player must progress the story scenes in order with no choice. Linear does not mean your railroaded in traveling. 

ANyways

the_bloodwalker said:

"Alot of people loved FFX.  It was FFXII that people regret buying.  It might seem like FFX gets a lot of hate but that is only because haters are the most vocal."

You might be surprises if you check out a comparison of FF sales from FF7 to FF12. I was. It also pretty much throws a wrench into the FF12 being bad.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

The reviews on Amazon JP show basically "you love it or you hate it" reception.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

If you are a fan of the series, check it out. And see for yourself if you enjoy it or not. It doesn't really mattter what reviews say. When it comes out in your area pick it up. if you don't like it return it.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
reaver_x said:
riecsou said:

I have read a lot of bad review about FF XIII saying the game is linear (Which FF isn't), no towns (I heard you can still buy stuff on save point so not going to miss the towns that much) and a lot of other things.

I know that if you are a true FF series fan, than there is a high probability that you will enjoy FF XIII. I am a big fan of the series since FF1 on the NES. As a FF series fan this is what I really care about in a FF game:

1) Story: If the story and the plot is good then no problem for me and FF stories has always been good so far in my opinion

2) Battle: If battles are strategic skill and character building then good for me

3) Side Quest: If there are things that can make me stronger and do a little detour to get thoses things and if the challenge is worth the price then I am good

4) Grinding sometimes a MUST: I don't usually run from battle in order to reach higher levels

5) The plot twist: I like them to be unexpected

6) And the most important of them all, an AMAZINGLY CRAZY Villain (My favorites are: Kefka, Sephirot, Kuja)

If the game has those six parts mentioned above then I am pretty sure that I will totally enjoy this game.

out of all the points u said. number 1 the story, strikes me as the most important. FFXII was IMO the worst in the whole series b/c the story was so terrible. This game however will most likely be superior concidering the FFX team is developing this(and FFX was one of my favourite games ever so it counts for something lol) plus everything ive seen up till now in the trailers and what not, has made me even more hyped up for this game. So im probably going to enjoy it and it will rediem my view on the series in a positive way that was tarnished thanks to FFX-2 and FFXII.

You are right I meant to say in the 6) Lets not forget the importance of an AMAZINGLY Villain ( will edit right now)

Every FF after VII has been "love it or hate it" because it continually reinvents itself. Truth is, like every FF before it, it will be a great game that many will absolutely love, but it won't be what many expect, and because it is not what many expect, some people will hate it.

Once again, one of the few series' that continually reinvents itself, and it has such a huge fanbase, that no iteration is going to please them all. Plus, the FF series has a tendency to indulge itself a bit, which means that it won't just barely stray from what fans want, it will turn those expectations on their head.

Basically, Final Fantasy is like a Tarentino movie. You never know what you're going to get, and if you go in with certain expectations, you will be dissapointed, but the end results is pretty much always great, becasue in the end, the guy just knows what the hell he's doing.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

.jayderyu said:
the_bloodwalker said:

"Alot of people loved FFX.  It was FFXII that people regret buying.  It might seem like FFX gets a lot of hate but that is only because haters are the most vocal."

You might be surprises if you check out a comparison of FF sales from FF7 to FF12. I was. It also pretty much throws a wrench into the FF12 being bad.

I know people from both sides: those who love and defend FFX as the best ever, and the ones, like myself, who hated it and even regret a purchase.

The real reason behind the hate is that FFX does not meet expectations of what you expect in FF game in terms of gameplay. The game is good, but compared to what many of us expect it falls way short. I stopped buying FF games ever since. The thing is that FFX had in a smaller scale what people had playing FFVII, it was the first RPG to many (believe it or not) so it's saved from more hatred

FFXII does not have that luck, this is why it has more regrets

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Every FF after VII has been "love it or hate it" because it continually reinvents itself. Truth is, like every FF before it, it will be a great game that many will absolutely love, but it won't be what many expect, and because it is not what many expect, some people will hate it.

Once again, one of the few series' that continually reinvents itself, and it has such a huge fanbase, that no iteration is going to please them all. Plus, the FF series has a tendency to indulge itself a bit, which means that it won't just barely stray from what fans want, it will turn those expectations on their head.

Basically, Final Fantasy is like a Tarentino movie. You never know what you're going to get, and if you go in with certain expectations, you will be dissapointed, but the end results is pretty much always great, becasue in the end, the guy just knows what the hell he's doing.

/thread

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Still, No FF has ever matched the sales of VII, sales has declined since. This means Square must be doing something wrong.

I LOVE ICELAND!