By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should any fan of the FF series be worried about FF XIII?

Danm,now I'm worried I didn't care for FFX due to the extreme linearity. If its made buy the same team I think I might be dissapointed. Still its hard not to dissapoint long time fans of any series.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
KungKras said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Every FF after VII has been "love it or hate it" because it continually reinvents itself. Truth is, like every FF before it, it will be a great game that many will absolutely love, but it won't be what many expect, and because it is not what many expect, some people will hate it.

Once again, one of the few series' that continually reinvents itself, and it has such a huge fanbase, that no iteration is going to please them all. Plus, the FF series has a tendency to indulge itself a bit, which means that it won't just barely stray from what fans want, it will turn those expectations on their head.

Basically, Final Fantasy is like a Tarentino movie. You never know what you're going to get, and if you go in with certain expectations, you will be dissapointed, but the end results is pretty much always great, becasue in the end, the guy just knows what the hell he's doing.

Still, No FF has ever matched the sales of VII, sales has declined since. This means Square must be doing something wrong.

You can't blame the declining Japanese gaming market or the userbase of the PS3 on Square-Enix. If Square is doing something wrong, it certainly isn't in the quality of their Final Fantasy games, because game quality has little to nothing to do with sales of a game this big. Period.

That isn't a waterproof argument. Final Fantasy has declined ever since it peaked with FF7 on  PS1. I still stand by my point that perhaps square is doing something wrong that is turning off some of the FF7 audience. It doesn't have to be the quality of the game, perhaps it's the design choices or the story. It is something though.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
KungKras said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Every FF after VII has been "love it or hate it" because it continually reinvents itself. Truth is, like every FF before it, it will be a great game that many will absolutely love, but it won't be what many expect, and because it is not what many expect, some people will hate it.

Once again, one of the few series' that continually reinvents itself, and it has such a huge fanbase, that no iteration is going to please them all. Plus, the FF series has a tendency to indulge itself a bit, which means that it won't just barely stray from what fans want, it will turn those expectations on their head.

Basically, Final Fantasy is like a Tarentino movie. You never know what you're going to get, and if you go in with certain expectations, you will be dissapointed, but the end results is pretty much always great, becasue in the end, the guy just knows what the hell he's doing.

Still, No FF has ever matched the sales of VII, sales has declined since. This means Square must be doing something wrong.

You can't blame the declining Japanese gaming market or the userbase of the PS3 on Square-Enix. If Square is doing something wrong, it certainly isn't in the quality of their Final Fantasy games, because game quality has little to nothing to do with sales of a game this big. Period.

That isn't a waterproof argument. Final Fantasy has declined ever since it peaked with FF7 on  PS1. I still stand by my point that perhaps square is doing something wrong that is turning off some of the FF7 audience. It doesn't have to be the quality of the game, perhaps it's the design choices or the story. It is something though.

Be realistic here. It would be almost impossible for another Final Fantasy to match the impact that game had.

Worry not,the fans will like it :D

KungKras said:

^ Sales are subjective?

I was refering to the "must be doing something wrong" part. For all it matters I like FF8 more than FF7. So yes, it's subjective.

Around the Network
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:

^ Sales are subjective?

I was refering to the "must be doing something wrong" part. For all it matters I like FF8 more than FF7. So yes, it's subjective.

Yet 8 sold less than 7 wich means that something about the game turned off fans of FF7. And thus, Square did something wrong with it.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:

^ Sales are subjective?

Yet 8 sold less than 7 wich means that something about the game turned off fans of FF7. And thus, Square did something wrong with it.

No they didn't. You can't expect every final fanatasy so have as many sales as the best seller of the series because every FF is set on a different world and gameplay system. FF8 and 7 are so different that you can't really compare them. It's not like comparing SSBB with SSBM or GT5 and GT4. Sales don't reflect the overall quality of the game and as far as I'm concerned FF7 sold so much because it was the first 3D FF, on playstation with huge advertisement and hype. That's my opinion at least.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
KungKras said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
KungKras said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Be realistic here. It would be almost impossible for another Final Fantasy to match the impact that game had.

(This is a reply to both you and Kirameo)

Why? Why can't square make a game that would sell just as well? FF7 was a bestseller and the sequel, FF8 had tons of hype and sold more in it's opening weeks AND the install base of the PS1 was much larger. Yet the momentum of the game died out faster than FF7. Something about FF8 must have turned people off. Something must have reduced word of mouth and made less people buy it.

I have my own complaints about FF8 but that's not the point. The FF series has been declining since FF7. FF games aren't selling as well as FF7 and that has to be because the franchise appeals to less and less people.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Kirameo said:
KungKras said:
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:

^ Sales are subjective?

No they didn't. You can't expect every final fanatasy so have as many sales as the best seller of the series because every FF is set on a different world and gameplay system. FF8 and 7 are so different that you can't really compare them. It's not like comparing SSBB with SSBM or GT5 and GT4. Sales don't reflect the overall quality of the game and as far as I'm concerned FF7 sold so much because it was the first 3D FF, on playstation with huge advertisement and hype. That's my opinion at least.

See the reply I made to OkeyDokey

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:

^ Sales are subjective?

See the reply I made to OkeyDokey

Maybe it wasbecause the changeswere too dramatical and people expected something along the lines of FFVII-2.