By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should any fan of the FF series be worried about FF XIII?

Kirameo said:
KungKras said:
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:
Kirameo said:
KungKras said:

^ Sales are subjective?

I was refering to the "must be doing something wrong" part. For all it matters I like FF8 more than FF7. So yes, it's subjective.

Yet 8 sold less than 7 wich means that something about the game turned off fans of FF7. And thus, Square did something wrong with it.

No they didn't. You can't expect every final fanatasy so have as many sales as the best seller of the series because every FF is set on a different world and gameplay system. FF8 and 7 are so different that you can't really compare them. It's not like comparing SSBB with SSBM or GT5 and GT4. Sales don't reflect the overall quality of the game and as far as I'm concerned FF7 sold so much because it was the first 3D FF, on playstation with huge advertisement and hype. That's my opinion at least.

See the reply I made to OkeyDokey

Maybe it wasbecause the changeswere too dramatical and people expected something along the lines of FFVII-2.

My theory is this. Final Fantasy 7 was an incredibly impressive game with accessibility enough to create new fans, and depth and innovation enough to keep people entertained and please fans of the series. Perhaps this balance was disrupted by the later games.

Just so you know, I'm a total noob to the JRPG genre. The first JRPG I played was tales of symphonia and I loved it, then I tried PhantasyStar II and got stuck and stopped playing it, and then I played FFVIII and absolutely hated it. I really liked the story, it was different from any game I had played before, but there was tons of other stuff that made me go WTF!?!?!? because it seemed so stupid, like how I have to junction a giant monster to a character just so I can use ITEMS. And of course the magic system...

I am still interrested in FFVII though, and I will try to get it when I can because it seems like a cool game. What I do know about the FF series is some sales data, wich seems to support my theory that newer FF games doesn't have as strong an ability as FFVII to make new fans. FFVIII did not make me a fan of the series, it was too complex and well there were too many "WTF!?!?!?!?!?" moments. FFVIII had immense hype, and sold faster than FFVII in the first weeks/month on a bigger install base than FF VII did, but then sales went down faster. It only makes sense that something about FFVIII turned some people off. And later FF games, even FF on the PS2 hasn't been able make that many new fans either, so I guess something is broken in the newer games compared to when the series peaked.

I think square is focusing too much on constantly reinventing a gameplay system that never had to be reinvented, but that's just my guess.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Kirameo said:

Maybe it wasbecause the changeswere too dramatical and people expected something along the lines of FFVII-2.

My theory is this. Final Fantasy 7 was an incredibly impressive game with accessibility enough to create new fans, and depth and innovation enough to keep people entertained and please fans of the series. Perhaps this balance was disrupted by the later games.

Just so you know, I'm a total noob to the JRPG genre. The first JRPG I played was tales of symphonia and I loved it, then I tried PhantasyStar II and got stuck and stopped playing it, and then I played FFVIII and absolutely hated it. I really liked the story, it was different from any game I had played before, but there was tons of other stuff that made me go WTF!?!?!? because it seemed so stupid, like how I have to junction a giant monster to a character just so I can use ITEMS. And of course the magic system...

I am still interrested in FFVII though, and I will try to get it when I can because it seems like a cool game. What I do know about the FF series is some sales data, wich seems to support my theory that newer FF games doesn't have as strong an ability as FFVII to make new fans. FFVIII did not make me a fan of the series, it was too complex and well there were too many "WTF!?!?!?!?!?" moments. FFVIII had immense hype, and sold faster than FFVII in the first weeks/month on a bigger install base than FF VII did, but then sales went down faster. It only makes sense that something about FFVIII turned some people off. And later FF games, even FF on the PS2 hasn't been able make that many new fans either, so I guess something is broken in the newer games compared to when the series peaked.

I think square is focusing too much on constantly reinventing a gameplay system that never had to be reinvented, but that's just my guess.

If they didn't reinvent themselves we would not have FF7 so it's a double edged sword IMO =P

Kirameo said:

If they didn't reinvent themselves we would not have FF7 so it's a double edged sword IMO =P

As I said, I haven't played FFVII yet, but the gameplay wasn't THAT radically different from FFVI was it?

Oh well, maybe after a few tries, Square will be lucky enough to strike gold again.

I LOVE ICELAND!