By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FFXIII first shipment is only 1 million???

Acevil said:
psrock said:
The problem is GAF, everything they say seems to be the law.
They have been wrong so many times.

They expected NSMB Wii to sell no more than 700k first week and maybe 60k for the Wii.

Well Darth's good old buddy Zorro, also believed it would do less, as did a bunch of fans from a "certain" fanbase.

But he's crazzy man

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
Acevil said:
psrock said:

They expected NSMB Wii to sell no more than 700k first week and maybe 60k for the Wii.

Well Darth's good old buddy Zorro, also believed it would do less, as did a bunch of fans from a "certain" fanbase.

But he's crazzy man

I already knew, but whats with perma-banned users coming back all of sudden...even more funny is Darth defends majority of them.

Acevil said:
psrock said:
Acevil said:
psrock said:

But he's crazzy man

I already knew, but whats with perma-banned users coming back all of sudden...even more funny is Darth defends majority of them.

The numbers are like drugs to them, and the PS3 is doing better too.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Hmm... I can't really see any blame on S-E in this situation.

Starting with the console bundles, I'm leaning on the limiting of those being a Sony factor more than a S-E thing. Sony has created artificial system shortages in the past, and my thought is that people who are looking for a FF13 PS3 and can't get one might settle for a regular PS3 (in the event they don't have one), one that Sony doesn't have to pay royalties to S-E on.

As for the game, if there's a shortage, I think it's going to be from retailers under-ordering. S-E knows the used game market in Japan, and won't want to short-ship games. If after the first week, 1.3m are shipped, but, say, 1.5m are wanted, those 200k are going to watch both the new AND the used markets. With the quick turnover in Japan to the used market, I can see some copies being turned in after a week, and the resale of those will be new copies that S-E can no longer sell. Since they need the sales, they won't want to force people to look at the used market right away. (Of course, some people still will, but that's another story.)

Meanwhile, the retailer's side. They've been burnt by many games on multiple platforms recently, the biggest example being the stand-alone version of Monster Hunter Tri. To prevent further losses from a highly-hyped game, they're ordering enough for preorders and a few extra, rather than plenty extra. Upon sellout (which I do think some stores are going to do), they will be quick to order more. How much more, of course, is another variable, and it's one that I couldn't firmly guess at. I would guess that they'll stay low, since the retailers that do the worst short-ordering will stay low from lost potential sales to other retailers.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say that egg is on many of our faces from the first day predictions...

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

FF is not a game you undership, because unlike some games there will be tons of used copies flooding the shelves before the weekend is even over. This is the reason it never has legs, I don't see any reason why the PS3 version will be different. Of couse many people still buy the game after the first 2 weeks, used copies of the NES and SNES FF games are still being sold at most game stores in Japan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Tallgeese101 said:
Has anyone who reads Japanese checked the source article:
http://ruliweb3.nate.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=69825&table=game_ps04&main=ps

Doesnt sound right to me. Surely this is the game that people in Japan have been buying PS3s for the last 3 years for.

Haven't read through the thread yet so someone might've answered this already, but that's not japanese. It's korean.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Tallgeese101 said:
Has anyone who reads Japanese checked the source article:
http://ruliweb3.nate.com/ruliboard/read.htm?num=69825&table=game_ps04&main=ps

Doesnt sound right to me. Surely this is the game that people in Japan have been buying PS3s for the last 3 years for.

Haven't read through the thread yet so someone might've answered this already, but that's not japanese. It's korean.

I bet stof could read it.

Hey darth! Go bother stof!

Read through the thread now, and babelfish is no way to go. Let me translate that japanese article myself. I'll post as soon as I'm done.

why are you guys even trusting an article in Korean anyways. There is no reason an article about the shipment of FF in Japan should only be available in Korean. Go look for another source.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Some comments on GAF make it seem like retailers in Japan just dont want to order more copies of the game. Which isnt surpsiring since they have just recently got burned with Monster Hunter 3. And as far as I am concerned no console game in Japan this gen has opened with more than 1 million.

That's still dissapointing that the game will only sell like 1.5m copies in Japan overall. FFXV going to next gen handhelds sound rather likely now.