By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu FF XIII imperfect score explained

Acevil said:
perpride said:
lestatdark said:
@perpride

FFXII is indeed one of the best FF games ever made, but your reasons, and every reason that we who liked the game can show to those who hate the game, will fall into deaf ears. Those who hated the game, hated it with a passion, like it was something personal sometimes.

But I'll never be able to understand why. It was easily one of the best plots they've had in the entire series!!!

you know what before I just go off on another rant about how good the game is I'll just give up.

The plot was actually the only thing I liked, and yes it was one of the best plots in the entire series (excluding Final Fantasy IX and VI and IV!), but the problems for me and many gamers were the characters and their development . I remember Basch being labeled as the main sometime and that would have totally worked. Vaan could have been a character that wants to challenge Basch and actually try his hardest to defeat Basch.

Edit: Vann would obviously join the team once he learns the truth...so on.

Also the music wasn't as awesome as final fantasy before it. Gameplay is mixed back, while I liked it early on, it made the game way to easy, and sometimes I didn't even have to do anything because of the gambit system.

Edit: In the end I believe it lacked the hook that final fantasy games had.

It does have awesome music, I say this everytime I can, its just that it wasnt catchy enough for people who dont have good ears.

Around the Network

I keep coming back to that FFXII score..

I mean, it's just different times now. Famitsu is a lot more forgiving than they used to be, which is fine. But you can't compare their scores of now, especially of big franchises, to the ones they used to give 5+ years ago.

Anyone who defends FFXII needs to be fucking shot.

Azelover said:

I mean, it's just different times now. Famitsu is a lot more forgiving than they used to be, which is fine. But you can't compare their scores of now, especially of big franchises, to the ones they used to give 5+ years ago.

I need to be shot?

Why?

Azelover said:

Oh really?

EDIT: you could elaborate more, that statement is rather basic.

"Final Fantasy XII- 40"

Wow. It was the WORST FF in my opinion. Yuck.

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Around the Network

I dream of a time when a reviewers don't have to justify a 9/10.

For not having anything new in it essentially? Really I must say FF got lucky. Lots of games get that and usually they are brutally criticized for it. Last big brand though was Twilight Princess by a select few reviewers. Although Zelda is always in the face of someone wanting attention because they complain if its too radically different or not different enough haha.

Personally I think it is the silliest excuse ever. A game should be good in its own right first and the compared second. If it truly is a fantastic game then why not let that be the judge. For the sake of Uncharted 2, sure the Uncharted franchise is a knockoff game from that of RE4, but that doesn't mean we have to go back and say every time how it is worse off because of it (reviewers don't say this because they wouldn't dare do it on in the west haha for big brands). I personally think the majority of a review score should be based on a video game's own merit and then a little shove for how it represents the industry and makes strides or doesn't. Now I could agree with not giving a game a perfect score because of it (Majora's Mask at IGN got taken down for this as the gameplay setup was exactly the same despite being a radically different game to begin with).

But hey what ya going to do about it. I got issues with the review system anyways and I don't think they do their job correctly. A game is about how much pleasure it gives to that of the player and then you can start discussing whether or not it deserves to go higher than that based on outside things. But never should be the sole reason you bash a game being because it is too like another game. Not speaking directly at FF13 right now but you get my point.

Famitsu though has really worked themselves in a whole by giving out way too many perfect scores. It's not to say the recipients weren't deserving, but the problem of saturating the "perfect score" is you provide a range for what "perfect" is. When you only have a perfect game a year or a decade or whatever you keep that range to an idealist perception of perfection rather than a range between certain previous recipients.

I thought it was going to get a perfect score as well. Nevertheless the game seems to be very good and apparently meets the hype, so gamers win.

Khuutra said:
Azelover said:

I need to be shot?

Why?

Yah, 12 was the best since 7 & stands as my secound longest gameplay ever. 

lestatdark said:
@perpride

FFXII is indeed one of the best FF games ever made, but your reasons, and every reason that we who liked the game can show to those who hate the game, will fall into deaf ears. Those who hated the game, hated it with a passion, like it was something personal sometimes.

I agree. I think XII deserved the 40/40. It was not a perfect game but it was new in a stale genre, and was made with amazing quality.

Notice how this has given Famitsu some credibility around here, where a perfect 40 would have gotten them flamed to hell far worse than this? Maybe that's why the guy did it.

Once again, I say, it requires LUCK to have 4 different people believe your game deserves a 10/10, so all the 40/40's from Famitsu have been very, very lucky.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.