By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu FF XIII imperfect score explained

Rawnchie14 said:
The only 40, had gone to one of the worst FF in my recollection?

Thats EXACTLY what i thought.

If its different from XII, its allright. :P

@FFXII lovers: No, XII is a good, very good RPG - but a bad final fantasy. (imo) The Story was nothing special, but the Story is what counts in RPGs.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
@Acevil

Music is a valid complain, I actually agree that it is far from what other FF's have accomplished, even though it does have on or two actually good scores. Basch has the best character development in the game, especially once you understand his blood feud with Gabranth.

@Jneul

FFXII total completion lenght pales in comparison to FFVII and FFX, especially if in FFX you do the entire Monster Arena and Dark Aeons/Penance sidequest, that could go to 200+ hours.

FFXII could easily be finished, getting an Order of Ambrosia ranking and all the rare weapons like Danjuro and Yagryu Darkblade with 130/140 hours tops.

About Vaan, he was annoying, true, but his reasons and character development I explained in the above post ;)

About the gambits, that's exactly what I said, turning them off added to the awesome battle system of FFXII and was actually a challenge unto itself, making the game harder than most FF games.

People always do self-imposed limits with FF games. Beating the games/hard optional bosses at as low of a level as possible, no sphere grid runs, etc. I think it's cool that people do things like that, but I don't have fun unless I play the game as intended. Just kind of my own thing. So I could never turn off ALL gambits and try and control the whole party, that's just too chaotic for me.

@r505Matt

I know that most people had troubles with the gambits turned off, I just use that example when people say that FFXII is too easy because of the gambits themselves, when it isn't an actual complain.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

i really want this game and 39/40 is an excellent score
but i just notice they give the same score to FFX and in my opinion FFX was pure crap
the worst in the series
wheres the score for FFX-2 ?

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

lestatdark said:
@r505Matt

I know that most people had troubles with the gambits turned off, I just use that example when people say that FFXII is too easy because of the gambits themselves, when it isn't an actual complain.

I know =) I think I just like to over-respond sometimes -.- haha.

FFXII was too easy for me because I overleveled too much =P I went a little crazy in the sewers when you first get the limit break thing (forgot what it's called in that game) Being level 50 when all the mobs you're fighting in the story are level 10 makes it not so challenging.

Maybe I'll pick up the game again though, I've always wanted to give it a second chance.

Around the Network

Howcome there's the need to explain why why there's 1/40 points left in a score... it blows my mind.

Is there any contract where it says this title needs to have a perfect score? And the fans questioning... did they play the game?

Jeez...

r505Matt said:
lestatdark said:
@r505Matt

FFXII was too easy for me because I overleveled too much =P I went a little crazy in the sewers when you first get the limit break thing (forgot what it's called in that game) Being level 50 when all the mobs you're fighting in the story are level 10 makes it not so challenging.

Maybe I'll pick up the game again though, I've always wanted to give it a second chance.

You should, the game is really amazing :)

Yeah, you could overlevel too much in the game, that's true. I remember using the T-Rex on Dalmasca West Desert to power level from 10 to 35 in a few hours xD But once you reach the Henne Mines B1, not even being at level 100 is going to save you from impending doom :P

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
r505Matt said:
lestatdark said:
@r505Matt

You should, the game is really amazing :)

Yeah, you could overlevel too much in the game, that's true. I remember using the T-Rex on Dalmasca West Desert to power level from 10 to 35 in a few hours xD But once you reach the Henne Mines B1, not even being at level 100 is going to save you from impending doom :P

I actually really want to now, I think I need to take a month long leave of absence and beat some games =)

Haha I totally can't afford to do that, but I want to.

Here's my list of RPGs I want to play again and/or finish.

Lost Osyssey (about 10 hours from the end), Eternal Sonata (halfway through hard mode), Fable 2 (didn't finish 1 playthrough), Too Human (to finish and throw away haha), Tales of Vesperia (barely even in, but I play this with friends so that's fine), Infinite Undiscovery (didn't even start), Phantasy Star 4, Shining Force 1 2 and 3 (part 1 is all I have), Xenosaga, FFXII, and Borderlands (not in that order). I'm probably missing some too.

And, I play an MMORPG (Champions Online) and I just got Scribblenauts, L4D2, LBP, MW1 and 2 (for achievements, MP got kind of meh for me), Halo 3: ODST, GOW Collection, and I'm getting Demon's Souls, Valkryia Chronicles and maybe Disgaea 3 and MGS4 soon.

Anyone want to come over and play Xbox games for me while I play PS3 games so I can be ready for FFXIII? =)

@r505Matt

Great list of RPG's you've got there ;)

I haven't played both Fable 2 nor Too Human, but from that list, I didn't appreciate Tales of Vesperia at all (Mainly because my favourite of the series is Tales of Phantasia and I was replaying it at the same time), Lost Odyssey has one of the best dramatic stories ever concieved for a JRPG, Eternal Sonata was so-so, good battle system and good Chopin Story, but all the rest was flat, and haven't finished Infinite Undiscovery as well.

Phantasy Star 4 is the best in the saga, by far ;) From Shining Force, I recommend the 2 vividly, it's by far the best SRPG ever created, Xenosaga was a good saga, but in comparison to it's predecessor game, Xenogears, pales totally and haven't played Borderlands yet.

The current games that i'm playing are: Demon's Souls (Not for two weeks, unfortunatly, since my PS3 broke :S), New Super Mario Bros Wii, Dragon Age (on my second playthrough), Sacred 2 and Forza 3.

Current PC Build

How the hell can people complain about a 39/40?... no f-ing wonder the reviews nowdays are a complete mess.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints