By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Famitsu FF XIII imperfect score explained

@Dazkarieh

Ahem, when did I ever said in my two comments that Wii Music or Wii fit aren't quality games or that I don't like them?

Please don't put words in my text, thank you very much :)

I have no opinion in both games since I haven't played both. My friend enjoys them and I was commenting on that because of what Acevil said.

Edit - Now that I had a chance to re-read your comment here's two points I would like you to think about:

1 - You preach against the "following the leader" mentality, yet you also advocate that anyone who doesn't find that game to be of quality are the ones who follow it. Isn't it a bit ironic that you fall into the same "following the leader" mentality with those reasoning skills? I suggest you work on that.

2 - When I said that my friend only plays Wii Music and Wii fit, I meant exactly that, he doesn't like games very much, yet he was offered a Wii this summer with those two games and he loves them. I suggest that next time you want to jump the gun and bash someone, you actually take time to read the content of that persons comment, unless you make a fool out of yourself like you did.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

maybe i'm getting impatient now lol^^ i forgot ffx was that long and i completed it, i think i enjoyed ffx more, and liked the characters better, that's probably why i was not bothered about the length.
so really me hating ffxii all comes down to vaan lol.

Edit: also i did understand the story, as i have had to work out svereal other plots in FF7 annd FF8 without any problems, but it always felt to me like vaan was a last minute thought if you know what i mean, the rest of the characters seemed to fit in fine though.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

@jneul

You're right about that, the idea of Vaan did come out in the last moments, the original main character was supposed to be Balthier at the start of the game development, then focus shifted towards Basch.

They only decided to use Vaan as a main a few months before the game launched in Japan, so that's why he's a bit rushed.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

^^ that probably explains why a lot of people still consider Balthier to be the main character then, ok, i think i may finally motivate myself to complete this game before ffxiii comes out hehe

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

@jneul

Yeah, the developers even joke with that ingame, when Baltheir says that he's the Leading character :P

I'd have prefered for Basch to be the main, his story is pretty awesome, and the feud he has with Gabranth is one of the best i've seen in a game ;)

Current PC Build

Around the Network
Do ylestatdark said:
@jneul

You're right about that, the idea of Vaan did come out in the last moments, the original main character was supposed to be Balthier at the start of the game development, then focus shifted towards Basch.

They only decided to use Vaan as a main a few months before the game launched in Japan, so that's why he's a bit rushed.

Do you know why they made this sin? Balthier is a much better character than the emotion-less Vaan.

I like FFXII, the problem with the plot is because we can differ 2 different moments pretty easily

In the beginning when the world is presented it's just "WoW". When the party is formed, and the game really start. Til there it's ok, but, once you go after the stones the game just dies, many things were initiated in the beginning  of the game were just are leaved to the stone hunt, like the romance between Vaan and Ashe, the development of Basch, their fight with Arcadia, everything was just forgotten to hunt stones, and the stone hunting was just going into a dungeon, solving some (silly) puzzles and defeating a boss.

And then the end was so rushed, I mean, the Bahamut thing was so an unnatural way of ending the main quest.

invetedlotus123 said:
Do ylestatdark said:
@jneul

Do you know why they made this sin? Balthier is a much better character than the emotion-less Vaan.

I like FFXII, the problem with the plot is because we can differ 2 different moments pretty easily

In the beginning when the world is presented it's just "WoW". When the party is formed, and the game really start. Til there it's ok, but, once you go after the stones the game just dies, many things were initiated in the beginning  of the game were just are leaved to the stone hunt, like the romance between Vaan and Ashe, the development of Basch, their fight with Arcadia, everything was just forgotten to hunt stones, and the stone hunting was just going into a dungeon, solving some (silly) puzzles and defeating a boss.

And then the end was so rushed, I mean, the Bahamut thing was so an unnatural way of ending the main quest.

They decided that Vaan should be the main character when they switched focus from the war of Archadia and Rosaria to the struggle for Dalmasca's freedom.

There are some parts of the plot that feel disconnected, that's true, but if you look carefully into the compendium entries, you'll see all the story bits and pieces that the game doesn't tell ;)

Basch to me is the best developed character, mainly because his story is intimately tied to Gabranth's one, so you'll have to understand one to learn about the other.

Bahamut's was a with rushed, It was a huge drop from pacing after the Giruvegnan/Pharos arch (The Ocurria Civilization), but I think that was to properly put Vayne as the main evil in the game.

Current PC Build

for what it's worth, i tend to enjoy games that don't have perfect scores. a perfect score gives you the impression that the game is perfection when it is far from it and gives you extremely high expectations. 39/40 is nothing to get mad about. it's still an incredible score in any respect. besides, you can't always trust reviewers, since how does their opinion really outweigh the consumers. i never expect any game to get perfect scores. ff13 shouldn't get a 40 based on pedigree alone, which i feel is why people may disagree with the score and think it should have full points. besides, i don't really trust famitsu anyway.

Severance said:
that guy just wanted attention

OFC HE JUST WANTED TO GET ATTENTION THIS IS MY FIRST FF GAME AND HE CANT INSULT IT IM SOO HYPED FOR THIS LOLZ!!!!!!!

lestatdark said:
But people hate it, mainly for two reasons, from what I gathered from comments around this site: Story (Too complex for them, most of the times), Battle System (Too easy or too boring, because most people played always with Gambits on, never knowing that you could turn them off and control the entire party yourself, adding a huge amount of challenge in the most complex battles of the game)

I've heard the story reason, and thought it to be BS, but what you're saying about the gambits does up my interest in the game significantly. I did a tiny bit of CS, and as a result, the gambit system seemed horribly limiting to me from what I saw of it; this compounded with the limited number of lines I would be allowed. If I can truely ignore it, then this game seems like it would be a blast!

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...