By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Software Sales Ratios (Attach Rates) by Console

Joystiq:

Comparing current hardware to software sales ratios shows Xbox 360 leads with nearly seven games sold for every system. PS3 and Wii, in terms of this ratio, are practically equal, although the Wii has sold 2.6 million more units. The hard numbers:

• Xbox 360: hardware to software ratio: 6.59 (hardware total sold = 6.8 million; software total sold = 44.8 million)
  • PlayStation 3: hardware to software ratio: 3.58 (hardware total sold = 1.9 million; software total sold = 6.8 million)
  • Wii: hardware to software ratio: 3.44 (hardware total sold = 4.5 million; software total sold = 15.5 million)
The data can be manipulated in numerous ways, but the one factor we feel obligated to point out is Wii Play's impact. Wii Play is considered "software" on the sales chart even though it's essentially an extra for purchasing a Wiimote (the difference between this bundle and a Wiimote without the game is $10 -- should downloadable games count too?). Wii Play has sold between 250K and 300K copies every month since its introduction in the States, accounting for a few million units of the console's software total. Removing that data from these ratios leaves the Wii hovering around 3 games sold per system.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

well the 360 has been out a lot longer so you would expect it to be well ahead. I think this christmas the PS3 will widen the gap with the wii.

Yes you would expect the 360 to be ahead since it's been out longer, but the 360's ratio is almost double.

And I'm not sure why you think the PS3 will widen its lead over the Wii this Christmas when most of the big PS3 games are getting delayed to 2008 and the Wii has Super Mario Galaxy.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

It'd be interesting to see the Wii's attach rate for JUST 3rd parties vs the 360 and the PS3's.

Vote for Ron Paul 2008

Only Anti-War and Anti-Taxes Republican

Freedom is a message everyone can embrace!

because Super Mario Galaxy is just one game. PS3 owners are way more hardcore so will buy more games, there are alot of good games coming out this christmas. CoD4, uncharted, Assassins Creed etc.

Around the Network

I thought assassins creed got delayed again?!

"Like you know"

Complaining about Wii Play being in there. Its a sold software with hardware in there haha. A game can't be sold with hardware anymore? So now Guitar Hero games can't be included, or Wii Fit, or Eye of Judgement, ect. Or take Motorstorm out of PS3 now.

I mean come on its a game with hardware. Still software. Deal with it. Be glad Wii Sports isn't included cause its still software and its still being sold despite it being packed in with a hardware.

zucas,

He did count Wii Play. He was just giving numbers w/o it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I think if it wasnt for the wiimote nobody would be buying Wii Play .Besides ,it would be interesting to see from where have joystiq taken their information .

tombi123 said:
well the 360 has been out a lot longer so you would expect it to be well ahead. I think this christmas the PS3 will widen the gap with the wii.

Definitely.  With PS3 titles being delayed repeatedly, the number of guaranteed "good" games is falling.  That and Super Mario Galaxy will likely push the Wii's attach ratio up a good bit.