By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Software Sales Ratios (Attach Rates) by Console

Xbox 360 owners eat games for breakfast in the US. That's just what they do. The attach rate is going to increase for this quarter.

Also, here's some statistics on XBLA for NeoGaf posters:

They have spent on average $98.20 on XBLA games per user

They have bought on average 13 XBLA games. (13.47 actual)

Now Neogaf will have more hardcore players that isn't quite as representative of the whole installed base for the Xbox 360, but it is a good indicator of where the attach rate for XBLA games stands.  My guess would be between 7-10 games per console sold.  The sample size is 735 people in 29 countries.

Around the Network

Eh, at the end of the day. Total software sold is the only number anyone cares about. So the 360's killing on that front.

I mean the gamecube had a MONSTER attach rate. Why? Because mostly only Nintendo fanboys bought it.

Attach rates really just show how "hardcore" your audience is... which really is a bad thing, because it somewhat implies that you arn't hitting that casual/mainstream audience that just doesn't buy more then a few games a year. Which, while they don't contribute as much, they still count... and are what are going to sell the most consoles.

Would you rather sell 100m consoles with a 3.5 attach rate or 60m consoles with a 7.0 attach rate? For some reason Dev's and Pub's really like that number a lot. ;)

cowbourne said:
Would you rather sell 100m consoles with a 3.5 attach rate or 60m consoles with a 7.0 attach rate? For some reason Dev's and Pub's really like that number a lot. ;)

See the Gamecube vs PS2 publishing history for a similar question.  I've also never seen Dev's and Publishers talk about attach rates.  However I have heard Dev's and pubs talking about not being happy at a systems number of sales.

Any company would rather have 50,000 and a 10% attach ration rather than 40,000 sales and a 30% ratio.  So total software sales is all that matters in the end.

Attach ratios are pointless when trying to predict future sales because those new customers are going to drastically alter your attach rates depending on what part of the audience you reach.  The larger group of people you reach the more it's going to drop.  The ratio will grow when the catalogue grows and good games start reaching discount prices.

In large part your attach ratio is going to a product of the number of console sales you have and whether you just hit your hardcore users or the mainstream.

Kasz216 said:
Eh, at the end of the day. Total software sold is the only number anyone cares about. So the 360's killing on that front.

I mean the gamecube had a MONSTER attach rate. Why? Because mostly only Nintendo fanboys bought it.

Attach rates really just show how "hardcore" your audience is... which really is a bad thing, because it somewhat implies that you arn't hitting that casual/mainstream audience that just doesn't buy more then a few games a year. Which, while they don't contribute as much, they still count... and are what are going to sell the most consoles.

I just wanted to agree with this 100%. Console attach rates mean almost nothing, I am pretty sure no company takes these into account when releasing a game.This whole thing about attach rate is a useless discussion. For instance if we accept SimExchanges predictions for consoles (Wii 100+, PS3 Xbox360 50), in order for a game to make money they will need to sell for example 400 k on the wii and 550 k on the PS3/Xbox360.(Because of higher development costs). They do not care about the attach rate of the consoles, because the Wii with the numbers above, would need less than half of the attach rate of the other consoles. It really is just an invalid argument.

Yes Xbox360 players buy a ot of games, that is shown in software totals. That is the only thing that companies care about. Take Gamecube, as Kasz said, even with a higher "attach rate" it had little effect on games coming to that system.

At the end of the day you have to remember,  the Wii is not trying to have a high attach rate, it is trying to dominate the hardware sales. All consoles are. Attach rates are just a way to make the losing console feel better. Like gamecube owners will say we had a higher attach rate than PS2, which should be obvious since they were the only ones who bought it.

Around the Network
Sqrl said:
Uhm..how did I post a response to Griffin 4 minutes before he posted =P?
yeah you really confused the hell out of me there. I don't know what you did, but it impressed me mightily

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Someone who is spending $400 or more on a console is not your typical games; being that 75% of all game systems are sold at $200 or less so you'd anticipate that someone who was willing to spend 2 to 3 times what the typical gamers is would be far more likely to buy multiple games.

Beyond the price difference, the Wii has (by far) the largest library of downloadable games with over 150 virtual console games available and 3 new games being added every week. Probably because we have no data virtual console games are not included in the attach rates for the Wii but this certainly negatively impacts the Wii's attach ratio; if people are buying virtual console games, spending their time playing these virtual console games instead of a third rate port of a PS2 game, and publishers are making money off of the virtual console the games should be included.

The tie ratio for the PSx was about the same through the same given period. Nothing new except for folks finding out about it, again.

Parokki said:
Comparing the Wii's attach rate is a bit tricky, because it comes with a game (less reason to buy many games when you get it), and there are probably way more people waiting for the great games later this year than with the other consoles (Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl early next year etc). I personally think it'll overtake the PS3 and improve in comparison to the 360, but of course I'm pretty optimistic about the Wii.

Yes.

Bodhesatva said:

First: for anyone who thinks it's totally normal for a system that's been out for a year more than its competitors to have an attach rate that's nearly double is wrong. It should be higher, but not that much higher. The 360 clearly has the edge here.

Second: It's interesting that people still obsess over Wii Play. My question woudl really be: how does the Wii remain competitive, when it actually comes with a game? The game that's bundled with the Wii is clearly an important draw for the system. People buy the system for Wii Sports alone. So the fact that it can compete with the PS3 at all surprises me -- you may not like including Wii Sports in the attach calcuations (and I can understand why), but for most people, this basically means they have to buy one less game than they otherwise would, because Wii Sports provides tons of fun.

Third: It will be interesting to see how these attach rates develop over the next three months.

Double yes. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

The issue is the Wii hasn't actually been increasing it's attach ratio the entire year outside of Wii Play sales, if that (since it's sold to about 40% of the userbase).

Also, I fail to see why people do use the WiiSports packin as a gimp to justify poor attach rates - did the NES or SNES have the same issue with their packin games? No. Neither did the Sega Genesis.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.