By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Software Sales Ratios (Attach Rates) by Console

tombi123 said:
because Super Mario Galaxy is just one game. PS3 owners are way more hardcore so will buy more games, there are alot of good games coming out this christmas. CoD4, uncharted, Assassins Creed etc.

Halo 3 is just one game. It has an attach ratio of roughly 50% and accounts for about 10% of the X360's software sales in Sinha's post.

Don't underestimate the power of a blockbuster title. Those PS3 games have potential to be great games, but they don't look like blockbuster potential to me.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Comparing the Wii's attach rate is a bit tricky, because it comes with a game (less reason to buy many games when you get it), and there are probably way more people waiting for the great games later this year than with the other consoles (Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl early next year etc). I personally think it'll overtake the PS3 and improve in comparison to the 360, but of course I'm pretty optimistic about the Wii.

darkfire001 said:
It'd be interesting to see the Wii's attach rate for JUST 3rd parties vs the 360 and the PS3's.

It'd be interesting to see Wii's attach rate with Virtual Console games included...

4 Week attach rates using vgchartz numbers:

4 Week attach rates (America only)
   Hardware 4wk SW sales  Attach rate
  Xbox 360  8,115,143 3,852,454 .47
 Wii  5,736,144 1,991,087  .35
 PS3  2,202,237962,436   .44

Suprisingly close.

BengaBenga said:
darkfire001 said:
It'd be interesting to see the Wii's attach rate for JUST 3rd parties vs the 360 and the PS3's.

It'd be interesting to see Wii's attach rate with Virtual Console games included...

The wii's attachrate with VC is nothing on 360 with XBLA, i have seen players with over 50 arcade games easy, and these are not the rare person, most people have crazy amounts of 360 arcade games, i have never seen a person with under 3 arcade games.

Around the Network

First: for anyone who thinks it's totally normal for a system that's been out for a year more than its competitors to have an attach rate that's nearly double is wrong. It should be higher, but not that much higher. The 360 clearly has the edge here.

Second: It's interesting that people still obsess over Wii Play. My question woudl really be: how does the Wii remain competitive, when it actually comes with a game? The game that's bundled with the Wii is clearly an important draw for the system. People buy the system for Wii Sports alone. So the fact that it can compete with the PS3 at all surprises me -- you may not like including Wii Sports in the attach calcuations (and I can understand why), but for most people, this basically means they have to buy one less game than they otherwise would, because Wii Sports provides tons of fun.

Third: It will be interesting to see how these attach rates develop over the next three months. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

...The problem with the "oh, the X360 should be higher is because it's older" is the fact that the X360 was about 6.0 in the US at this same time last year.

Fact is, the X360's ratio has increased maybe 1.0 in the past year, give or take.

Therefore, the argument for the Wii is litterally useless. The GC, Xbox and PS2 had vastly higher attach rates - and again, none of those were with a $20 minigame.

Guitar Hero and Eye of Judgement are VASTLY different titles vs. Wii Play in terms of extra prepherials. Wii Play comes with a $20 game and a $30 controller. EoJ and Guitar Hero come with $50 perpherials and $50 games. GH2 in the US alone has nearly made the same ammount of revenue as Wii Play Worldwide.

A better comparison is Boogie vs. GH vs. EoJ.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

pointing out how wii comes with a game as an excuse for its poor software attach rate is weak. (i got game so dont buy anymore next 12 months???) The game wii sports gets included in those software totals as well. but its not even really a valid point. as both the PS3 and XBox have had SKU's with pack in games.

Zucas - "So now Guitar Hero games can't be included, or Wii Fit, or Eye of Judgement, ect. Or take Motorstorm out of PS3 now."

comparing wii play, a $10 game with a controller for all your other games, hardly equates to a $40 game controller with a $60 game. and that controller is only for that game. you cant even buy wii play without a controller.

i have argued this before but seeing you try to equate a wii mote packed with wii play to Guitar Hero is annoying

Zucas said:
Complaining about Wii Play being in there. Its a sold software with hardware in there haha. A game can't be sold with hardware anymore? So now Guitar Hero games can't be included, or Wii Fit, or Eye of Judgement, ect. Or take Motorstorm out of PS3 now.

I mean come on its a game with hardware. Still software. Deal with it. Be glad Wii Sports isn't included cause its still software and its still being sold despite it being packed in with a hardware.

Why are you comparing Guitar hero and Eye of judgement with Wii Play?  You really don't understand the one fundamental difference there do you?  It has nothing to do with "hardware being sold with software".  The guitar is PART of the game.  A wii controller isn't part of the game wii play.  Wii play is it's own independent 10$ thrown in game.  You don't need the extra wii controller to play Wii Play.  If you're not intelligent enough to understand why there needs to be a guitar in a game that plays songs and there doesn't need to be a 10$ pack in with a controller, you should check back into school.  

As for Wii Sports, it will never be counted and nobody is "lucky" it isn't, it's not even counted in NPD.  If you actually get out of your bubble you'll realize there isn't anybody who tracks wii sports sales in America besides this site.  The only place it's tracked by professional organizations is places where it's not bundled in, such as Japan where Media Create and Famitsu track it.   

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Griffin said:
BengaBenga said:
darkfire001 said:

The wii's attachrate with VC is nothing on 360 with XBLA, i have seen players with over 50 arcade games easy, and these are not the rare person, most people have crazy amounts of 360 arcade games, i have never seen a person with under 3 arcade games.

Anecdotal evidence is not real evidence. When utilizing an anecdote you should always acknowledge the fact that it is unlikely to mean anything unless supported by actual data.

Because of an install base of about 12m, you would likely need a few hundred people in your sample to get any amount of meaningful data. But even then you would need to be deliberate in tracking and tallying the information.  With those basic things accomplished an anecdote becomes data and meaningful.  Still though with a small sample size it is still dubious but far better than an anecdote.

To Each Man, Responsibility