By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Tales of Graces outsell Tales of Vesperia (PS3) in Japan?

This is Famitsu's latest estimates for ToG:

(Wii) Tales of Graces : 200-260k / 230-290k     (First Shipment / Lifetime sales)

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
kingofwale said:
a new internet hyped game on a much bigger install base console... is to sell a year later port on a smaller user-base console?

God I hope so

That's not fair. Vesperia did exceptionally well for a late port and you know it - don't try to belittle it's success.

While true, it felt like a whole new game instead of just a port thanks to all the new content. It really did feel like 360 owners were just 'beta testing' it.

forest-spirit said:

(Wii) Tales of Graces : 200-260k / 230-290k     (First Shipment / Lifetime sales)

So they expect it to perform the same as Vesperia on PS3, despite the fact that 200k Japanese customers had already bought it for 360 and despite the fact that the Wii install base is some 70% larger than PS3 and 360 combined.

I guess we'll see. It seems unlikely to me, but I know better than to pretend that I understand the capricious Japanese market.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

It will be dissapointing if it doesnt.

ToV PS3 was a late port, on a smaller userbase.

If ToG doesn't outsell ToV(PS3) i will be extremely surprised.

I think ToG has a good chance of outselling ToV on PS3 ... PS3+360 is impossible

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Around the Network

In big franchises, even more with jrpg's, the installbase means almost nothing in terms of sales unless of course is extremely small, the main factor is the fanbase.

Tales of Symphonia established a nice fanbase among Nintendo users, I think it can sell about 300k-350k.

famousringo said:
forest-spirit said:

So they expect it to perform the same as Vesperia on PS3, despite the fact that 200k Japanese customers had already bought it for 360 and despite the fact that the Wii install base is some 70% larger than PS3 and 360 combined.

I guess we'll see. It seems unlikely to me, but I know better than to pretend that I understand the capricious Japanese market.

When talking about Tales fans you never know. They are like ninjas.

I must say that I'm a bit surprised that the 360 version performed as well as it did. It's not much lower than Tales of Symphonia on GC (Ok, it's a 100k difference but anyway...)

It's still old and still a port.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Soriku said:

It's old but it's barely just a port. Many 360 owners would buy the PS3 version too. It was on the wrong console in Japan to begin with. Ports of previous games (ToS to PS2, Eternia on PSP, Rebirth PSP, etc.) have sold well too (ToS PS2 sold 400k in Japan). This isn't like Eternal Sonata, that's a niche game from a dev that hasn't had any breakout games (tri-Crescendo). This is Tales, and a very good one with tons more content.

Don't try to belittle it.

It's a game that was available a year ago on the 360 = old

The game was first made on the 360 then ported to the PS3 = Port

Belittle means truth now.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

soriku no-one's belittling it

the fact is its a port & a year old game at its core

so what if there are a few more add ons

at its heart & core, its still a year old & its still a port.....one which sold extremely well

Tales of Graces BETTER outsell it

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey