By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the Wii's lower average usage helps its failure rate?

Long ago, I did a thread about a news article that compared average gaming time for all consoles. It was entitled something like "Wii owners do play their console, myth debunked" or something like this. But that was the title I've made up, because I was a nerd-raging Nintendo fanboy at time haha. Wii had the lowest ammount of average playtime out from the three current consoles anyway, so if you need some concrete evidence, search for it.

Around the Network

I have seen some figures somewhere that suggest that on average the wii is played less then the 360. I don't know about the ps3 though. But I couldn't point anyone to any sources.

But its pretty obvious that if a console isn't played as much on average then of course that will help the failure rate remain low. Though the way the wii is designed would mean that even if it were played the most then it would probably still have the lowest failure rate of the three.

Amazing the length's some will go through to take a positive about a Wii and turn it into a negative. It's like the twilight zone or being on a merry-go-round. Incredible.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

That Nielsen data is highly objectionable anyway. I find their data collection methods very peculiar, especially if they're trying to make any definitive statements about anything.

Their data is pretty much anecdotal itself.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Wii's has less hardware than PS3/360. The more hardware the greater chance of something going wrong. Also Wii produce less heat especially the GPU.

Around the Network

My Wii has been on for months. On standby anyway. If anything, I use it more than my 360 and my 360 has failed more often than my Wii.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Seems reasonable. Icould see a lot of users never pushing their system to point of wear and tear.

"But as always, technology refused to be dignity's bitch."--Vance DeGeneres

http://cheezburger.com/danatblair/lolz/View/4772264960

id say it has less to do with its running time.(never had a problem, i live it on for as long as i have power) and more to do with its less powerful components and its lower power usage.

The premise is reasonable, but the assumption is not.

I've had a good look through that Neilson data regarding console usage on a couple of occasions; their methods are questionable, their choices regarding the statistics they use and the way they present the data are strange and I've seen errors (mislabelled graphs) in their official videogame data releases on more than one occasion.

I would say that given the same R+D development and systems specs Nintendo would still produce a more reliable system with better build quality than Sony or MS simply because that has always been one of their focuses.

hsrob said:
The premise is reasonable, but the assumption is not.

I've had a good look through that Neilson data regarding console usage on a couple of occasions; their methods are questionable, their choices regarding the statistics they use and the way they present the data are strange and I've seen errors (mislabelled graphs) in their official videogame data releases on more than one occasion.

I would say that given the same R+D development and systems specs Nintendo would still produce a more reliable system with better build quality than Sony or MS simply because that has always been one of their focuses.

I totally hated the NES and N-64 analog control was a piece of junk.