By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the Wii's lower average usage helps its failure rate?

Why hasn't a mod locked this? I don't know if that's an appropriate question to ask on a thread (and if not, I'll withdraw it), but the nature of the entire first post just says this is just to get replies, and I am ashamed that you've actually given this thread that many.

Yes, I replied, but I shouldn't have had to. You all should have known better than to take such blatant bait.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Why hasn't a mod locked this? I don't know if that's an appropriate question to ask on a thread (and if not, I'll withdraw it), but the nature of the entire first post just says this is just to get replies, and I am ashamed that you've actually given this thread that many.

Yes, I replied, but I shouldn't have had to. You all should have known better than to take such blatant bait.

Some people are way too senstitive.  The OP may not have been eloquently stated and begs the question about whether it was flamebait, but I've seen plenty worse posts than that on this website which ultimately lead to quite good discussions in spite of the intentions of the OP. It seems that any questioning of the status quo with regards to any of the consoles these days is considering flaming, rather than as a potential avenue for discussion. 

So be ashamed of your involvment in this thread if you must but please don't condescend to the people who saw merit in this discussion.

@ OP - you're sure are you? Well that's sure better than actual evidence.

Fact is, GC was to PS2 as PS3 is to Wii (small dedicated userbase as oppose to large userbase including children and casuals) and the GC had a lower failure rate than the PS2

Oh and the N64 had a low failure rate

So did the SNES for that matter

And the NES

and the DS, GBA, and GB (all forms of each)

Nintendo make damn good hardware

Taz! said:

First off, dont even try arguing that the average Wii is used the same amount as the average PS360 - If you do you are in denial. From personal experience I am sure the average Wii console is used far less often the average PS360 console, so do you think this helps out the Wii's failure rate?

Taz! said:

There are people out there who would say the same thing about their 360, thats your personal experience, my point would be that a lot more 360s have had 1000s of hours usage in comparison to Wii's.

Are we playing the "only my personal experience counts and yours means nothing" game?

And are we also playing the "I'm too lazy to look up actual data to support my thread" game?

hsrob said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Some people are way too senstitive.  The OP may not have been eloquently stated and begs the question about whether it was flamebait, but I've seen plenty worse posts than that on this website which ultimately lead to quite good discussions in spite of the intentions of the OP. It seems that any questioning of the status quo with regards to any of the consoles these days is considering flaming, rather than as a potential avenue for discussion. 

So be ashamed of your involvment in this thread if you must but please don't condescend to the people who saw merit in this discussion.

That is not what the OP is doing. If it was that, I wouldn't have called on it. Don't tell me lines about we can't argue a claim that he won't even provide links to is not some form of trolling. Trust me, I've been on enough sites with poor moderation to know the signs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
hsrob said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

That is not what the OP is doing. If it was that, I wouldn't have called on it. Don't tell me lines about we can't argue a claim that he won't even provide links to is not some form of trolling. Trust me, I've been on enough sites with poor moderation to know the signs.

There is the assumption that Wii has the lowest failure rate.  Is it truly because the hardware is more reliable or is it due to reputedly lower usage rates? 

Now this is not the way the OP stated it but I retain my point that a decent discussion can come from a crap post and people don't need to be told they should ashamed for seeing something worth debating in this topic even if it wasn't the intention of the OP. 

If you don't like the OP and really think he is trolling and there is no value in this thread, report it to a mod, let them deliberate and I will happily go with whatever they decide.

Then start a thread with the intention there up front. Posting on a troll thread, even trying to make it good, is still feeding a troll, even though you think it isn't. That will just encourage more blatant trolling, and threads you can't save.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Then start a thread with the intention there up front. Posting on a troll thread, even trying to make it good, is still feeding a troll, even though you think it isn't. That will just encourage more blatant trolling, and threads you can't save.

Well since feeding a troll isn't yet a bannable offense, if you think the thread should be closed I again invite you to report the OP and let the mods decide, rather than telling people what threads they should or should not contribute to.

In the spirit of letting an apparently meritless thread die, I shan't post on the issue any further.

Here's the actual Nielsen data whether you agree with it or not:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24782

Currently, the Wii is used a bit less than 360. But this was a different picture in 2008 when Wii Fit, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii were all fresh on the market. PS3 gets the least usage by a pretty wide gap.

Overall, I don't think it has to do with usage. 360 and PS3 are more complicated systems that require heavier cooling systems. Sometimes these cooling systems are subpar, and the failure rate goes up in result.

For the Wii, the reduced processing power allowed them to create a very reliable system. They were able to work with older components that were refined rather than newer components that, while powerful, didn't have a chance to be refined and tested.

famousringo said:
There is some evidence that the average Wii might not see as many hours of use as the average 360. Though those Nielsen press releases were always pretty confusing about their definitions and whether that reduced per-user usage carries over to the box itself or if it just represents that the average Wii has a lot more users than the average 360.

If true, it would likely result in fewer failures, though age can take its toll on electronics whether used or not. In some cases, disuse can be harder on electronics, as the heat kills microbes that might otherwise accumulate on circuit boards and frequent use prevents some moving parts from seizing up.

My gut instinct is that less use would mean less failures, but there's no hard evidence either way on this one.

I'm pretty sure the Nielson study was per user.  Not per household.

Which is offset by the fact that your average Wii was used by many more people.

Might be wrong in that though.

The Nielson studies in general seemed like there panel audience was pretty crappy though.  Their age demographics seemed way off and their average salary for all of them was like over 75k household or something silly like that.