By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the Wii's lower average usage helps its failure rate?

mortono said:
Here's the actual Nielsen data whether you agree with it or not:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24782

Currently, the Wii is used a bit less than 360. But this was a different picture in 2008 when Wii Fit, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii were all fresh on the market. PS3 gets the least usage by a pretty wide gap.

Overall, I don't think it has to do with usage. 360 and PS3 are more complicated systems that require heavier cooling systems. Sometimes these cooling systems are subpar, and the failure rate goes up in result.

For the Wii, the reduced processing power allowed them to create a very reliable system. They were able to work with older components that were refined rather than newer components that, while powerful, didn't have a chance to be refined and tested.

Sorry Mortono but this is just Nielson it cant be compared to the estemmed OP

Around the Network
hsrob said:
Smidlee said:
hsrob said:
The premise is reasonable, but the assumption is not.

I've had a good look through that Neilson data regarding console usage on a couple of occasions; their methods are questionable, their choices regarding the statistics they use and the way they present the data are strange and I've seen errors (mislabelled graphs) in their official videogame data releases on more than one occasion.

I would say that given the same R+D development and systems specs Nintendo would still produce a more reliable system with better build quality than Sony or MS simply because that has always been one of their focuses.

I totally hated the NES and N-64 analog control was a piece of junk.

Pretty much anyone I know that still has an NES, still has a working NES and I've never seen a broken N64 controller.  Welcome to Anecdotalville.

Me too actually... and I knew a guy who like literally through his NES against a wall when he lost in Tecmo Bowl.  Hard... how that thing was still running afterwords was a miracle.

There is the "Cartdige" problem the non-toploaders develop but it's nowhere as bad as the PS1 or PS2 woes.

All you need to do is know the correct way to put the cardridge in... don't push it in all the way... just push it in most the way, so that when you push down the cartidge grazes against the outter part before it pops in.

Works 100% of the time.

mortono said:

Currently, the Wii is used a bit less than 360. But this was a different picture in 2008 when Wii Fit, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii were all fresh on the market. PS3 gets the least usage by a pretty wide gap.

Overall, I don't think it has to do with usage. 360 and PS3 are more complicated systems that require heavier cooling systems. Sometimes these cooling systems are subpar, and the failure rate goes up in result.

For the Wii, the reduced processing power allowed them to create a very reliable system. They were able to work with older components that were refined rather than newer components that, while powerful, didn't have a chance to be refined and tested.

Wii gets used more than PS3?

Clearly it's wrong then. Taz!'s gut says otherwise, you know.

noname2200 said:
mortono said:

Actually i coulda swore that was a typo in their report and they had wii and PS3 swapped... maybe not, either way, I'm not a big fan of their reports.

Other interesting Nielson news from those reports though.

1 out of ever 3 games purchased is a used game.

Not sure if that's supposed to be close to the real numbers or not.  I do believe Pachter has said something similar as well.

Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:

Actually i coulda swore that was a typo in their report and they had wii and PS3 swapped... maybe not, either way, I'm not a big fan of their reports.

Not sure if that's supposed to be close to the real numbers or not.  I do believe Pachter has said something similar as well.

Let's ask Taz!'s gut.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:

Actually Nielson had PS3 over Wii but it was a mistake and they put the wii over ps3.

I remember because it was all over other sites like IGN and gamepro, after Nielson corrected the data those other sites didn't correct there stories.

noname2200 said:
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:

Let's ask Taz!'s gut.

Seriously though... according to Nielson the average videogame using household makes 75K+ a year.

That isn't even remotely right.  I mean... the average gamecube user makes over 75K+ a year? 

Sounds like Nielson has a selection bias towards the rich.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040609_fnl1.pdf

Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:

Not this one, but an earlier report on gamasutra did this. It was actually corrected to show the Wii with a larger share of playtime.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/23143/Nielsen_Corrects_Survey_Error_Shows_Wii_With_A_Bigger_Share_Of_Playtime.php

mortono said:
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:

Not this one, but an earlier report on gamasutra did this. It was actually corrected to show the Wii with a larger share of playtime.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/23143/Nielsen_Corrects_Survey_Error_Shows_Wii_With_A_Bigger_Share_Of_Playtime.php

Fair enough.  Nielsons ratings seem to be very biased though... even there TV ratings were never great.

Taz! said:

First off, dont even try arguing that the average Wii is used the same amount as the average PS360 - If you do you are in denial. From personal experience I am sure the average Wii console is used far less often the average PS360 console, so do you think this helps out the Wii's failure rate?

Those Wii's out there that are used very often seem to cope well, so there's no denying that its a quality piece of hardware, but with a lot of Wii's not getting played that often surely this is bound to help its failure rate?

so the whole thread is about how good wii's reliabilty is because nobody plays it....

but ps3/xbox360 break more often because their played more!?

I dont know about you... but this seems like trolling all 3 consoles....