By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the Wii's lower average usage helps its failure rate?

First off, dont even try arguing that the average Wii is used the same amount as the average PS360 - If you do you are in denial. From personal experience I am sure the average Wii console is used far less often the average PS360 console, so do you think this helps out the Wii's failure rate?

Those Wii's out there that are used very often seem to cope well, so there's no denying that its a quality piece of hardware, but with a lot of Wii's not getting played that often surely this is bound to help its failure rate?

Around the Network

wii's failure rate is low because nintendo can actually build good hardware that can take abuse. i've spent thousands of hours on my wii, droped it more than a few times, and i also live in a very dusty and humid place. it's doing just fine, and i'm sure it'll keep working for years to come.

as far as how much the average wii is being used, i don't know. twroo and some other members keep track of games usage data off of the nintendo channel. maybe they could give us some kind of number. i know it would be a very crude estimate, but'll it'll be based off of data from a couple million wii owners, so that should be a big enough sample size.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

vonboysp said:
wii's failure rate is low because nintendo can actually build good hardware that can take abuse. i've spent thousands of hours on my wii, droped it more than a few times, and i also live in a very dusty and humid place. it's doing just fine, and i'm sure it'll keep working for years to come.

as far as how much the average wii is being used, i don't know. twroo and some other members keep track of games usage data off of the nintendo channel. maybe they could give us some kind of number. i know it would be a very crude estimate, but'll it'll be based off of data from a couple million wii owners, so that should be a big enough sample size.

There are people out there who would say the same thing about their 360, thats your personal experience, my point would be that a lot more 360s have had 1000s of hours usage in comparison to Wii's.

Wlel, yes. If Wiis are played less often then they will certainly break less often, though I don't know if most of their failures are from "wear and tear" anyway.

Never thought of it but it makes a lot of sense. I've played my PS3 5 times more than my Wii.
But then again I think the Wii is a better console (in terms of reliability) than the PS360.
So I guess it's a mix of both.

Around the Network

Of course, but if you consider the size of Wii chips and the power consumption, I think the current known failure rate aren't far from what should it be if the average Wii was played as often as a X360, for instance.

Taz! said:

First off, dont even try arguing that the average Wii is used the same amount as the average PS360 - If you do you are in denial. From personal experience I am sure the average Wii console is used far less often the average PS360 console, so do you think this helps out the Wii's failure rate?

Those Wii's out there that are used very often seem to cope well, so there's no denying that its a quality piece of hardware, but with a lot of Wii's not getting played that often surely this is bound to help its failure rate?

FAIL 1 - You can't tell people that they can't argue on a forum.

FAIL 2 - You can't make a point based on personal experience and then apply it to the entire world.

FAIL 3 - You can't say one system is used more or less without providing a link of documented evidence. (Hint - try Neilsen charts)

You have FAILED out of this conversation. Next batter up.

You know I didn't notice your first post initially, Taz!.

"Personal experience" is another way of saying "anecdotes", and does not constitute an actual argument.

My wii is turned on for more then a week now. Too lazy to turn it of. It's not hot nor does it make any noise.

well i would think that the hd console's are often played in big several hour long bursts, while wii console's tend to be played a little at a time.

i thought the hd consoles tended to break down more by overheating from being used for hours at a time?

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.