By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the Wii's lower average usage helps its failure rate?

There have been studys to show that PS360 are played far more though, right? I read one somewhere.

Around the Network

Definitely. There have actually been studies that show PS3 and 360 are played a lot more than Wii I would get a source but I have better things to do.

This has to be a part of why Wii's failure rate is low, along with it being well built.

No, it would increase it in theory from the dust screwing it up after not using the fan.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
bardicverse said:
Taz! said:

First off, dont even try arguing that the average Wii is used the same amount as the average PS360 - If you do you are in denial. From personal experience I am sure the average Wii console is used far less often the average PS360 console, so do you think this helps out the Wii's failure rate?

Those Wii's out there that are used very often seem to cope well, so there's no denying that its a quality piece of hardware, but with a lot of Wii's not getting played that often surely this is bound to help its failure rate?

FAIL 1 - You can't tell people that they can't argue on a forum.

FAIL 2 - You can't make a point based on personal experience and then apply it to the entire world.

FAIL 3 - You can't say one system is used more or less without providing a link of documented evidence. (Hint - try Neilsen charts)

You have FAILED out of this conversation. Next batter up.

Of course, common sense and being sensible counts for nothing. Seriously, If you think the average Wii is used as much as the average PS360 you are delusional, and may need to get out more. Its a fact of life, although there is no hard data for me to prove it. Its like me saying a big proportion of Wii owners are women and children, I have no data to prove it and you may not want to believe it but we all know its true.

Like I said my wii has been turned on for more then 168 hours now. It's not even warm nor does it make any noise and it still works fine(I think my wii turns it self on sometimes tbh)

Wii just well build

Around the Network

Your personal experience does not amount to facts. For example my personal experience is the exact opposite. Everyone I know that owns both Wii and 360 or PS3 gets more play time out of their Wiis. But I certainly don't apply that to the whole world.

I will say that I'd guess people playing games on HD console are playing more 'core' games or are more 'core' players and tend to play longer continuous play sessions than a typical Wii game would. That would likely cause greater failure rates in HD consoles due to heat build-up or constant reading of the disc.

However as noted, Nintendo makes quality hardware, always has. People still have working NES, SNES, N64 and GC. PS2s and 360 are notorious for their failure rates.

bardicverse said:
Taz! said:

First off, dont even try arguing that the average Wii is used the same amount as the average PS360 - If you do you are in denial. From personal experience I am sure the average Wii console is used far less often the average PS360 console, so do you think this helps out the Wii's failure rate?

Those Wii's out there that are used very often seem to cope well, so there's no denying that its a quality piece of hardware, but with a lot of Wii's not getting played that often surely this is bound to help its failure rate?

FAIL 2 - You can't make a point based on personal experience and then apply it to the entire world.

FAIL 3 - You can't say one system is used more or less without providing a link of documented evidence. (Hint - try Neilsen charts)

Heh I was about to say the same thing, I honestly have no idea if there are charts studying this personally, but just saying "You're wrong because I say you're wrong" is well... just wrong XD

I might check out Neilsen myself to see if its true, personally I'd say the Wii gets the most play in my house, but I could see the people that sit there and buy every hyped game that says they don't play their Wii at all, lowering the average a good bit :P

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

There is some evidence that the average Wii might not see as many hours of use as the average 360. Though those Nielsen press releases were always pretty confusing about their definitions and whether that reduced per-user usage carries over to the box itself or if it just represents that the average Wii has a lot more users than the average 360.

If true, it would likely result in fewer failures, though age can take its toll on electronics whether used or not. In some cases, disuse can be harder on electronics, as the heat kills microbes that might otherwise accumulate on circuit boards and frequent use prevents some moving parts from seizing up.

My gut instinct is that less use would mean less failures, but there's no hard evidence either way on this one.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Taz! said:
bardicverse said:
Taz! said:

Of course, common sense and being sensible counts for nothing. Seriously, If you think the average Wii is used as much as the average PS360 you are delusional, and may need to get out more. Its a fact of life, although there is no hard data for me to prove it. Its like me saying a big proportion of Wii owners are women and children, I have no data to prove it and you may not want to believe it but we all know its true.

Actually the average age of wii is 24 years(I saw a graph somewhere) and there are about as many boys and girls playing the console. You're wrong with that one. Ps3/xbox360 are the kiddy immature consoles if I look at those annoying kids on xbox live. It pisses me of! 

MaxwellGT2000 said:
bardicverse said:
Taz! said:

Heh I was about to say the same thing, I honestly have no idea if there are charts studying this personally, but just saying "You're wrong because I say you're wrong" is well... just wrong XD

I might check out Neilsen myself to see if its true, personally I'd say the Wii gets the most play, but I could see the people that sit there and buy every hyped game that says they don't play their Wii at all, lowering the average a good bit :P

If you mean on average, then we live in different planets.