By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the Wii's lower average usage helps its failure rate?

I haven't heard or read anything about the PS3 overheating. That's news to me.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:
Here's the actual Nielsen data whether you agree with it or not:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24782

Currently, the Wii is used a bit less than 360. But this was a different picture in 2008 when Wii Fit, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii were all fresh on the market. PS3 gets the least usage by a pretty wide gap.

Overall, I don't think it has to do with usage. 360 and PS3 are more complicated systems that require heavier cooling systems. Sometimes these cooling systems are subpar, and the failure rate goes up in result.

For the Wii, the reduced processing power allowed them to create a very reliable system. They were able to work with older components that were refined rather than newer components that, while powerful, didn't have a chance to be refined and tested.

Wii gets used more than PS3?

Clearly it's wrong then. Taz!'s gut says otherwise, you know.

Actually i coulda swore that was a typo in their report and they had wii and PS3 swapped... maybe not, either way, I'm not a big fan of their reports.

Other interesting Nielson news from those reports though.

1 out of ever 3 games purchased is a used game.

Not sure if that's supposed to be close to the real numbers or not.  I do believe Pachter has said something similar as well.

Let's ask Taz!'s gut.

Seriously though... according to Nielson the average videogame using household makes 75K+ a year.

That isn't even remotely right.  I mean... the average gamecube user makes over 75K+ a year? 

Sounds like Nielson has a selection bias towards the rich.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040609_fnl1.pdf

Houshold mean everybody in the house.  A man making $40,00 per year, his wife or girlfriend earning $40,000 per year, and a game playing teen working fast food making $12,000 per year would equal $92,000 per year in household income.  $75K is not far fetched at all.  Besides, you would barely be able to afford a one bedroom apartment on 75K per year in some places such as New York City, where wages are mcuh higher than country areas.

Just as a side note in case it hasn't been mentioned yet ... Nielson measures total use of a system and not just use for gaming, so the other media functions of the HD consoles increases average usage.

With that said, the Wii's failure rate has far more to do with the system being low power (in terms of energy consumption) and having less moving parts than it has to do with usage. If you have a high energy consumption electronic device that has multiple fans, eventually the fans will clog with dust/hair or (simply) fail with age and the system will over-heat and die. Even if that doesn't happen, eventually a hard-drive or optical drive will fail.

Kenology said:
What a troll thread. You guys need to just let these types of threads sink into obscurity.

Yeah speaking of which, I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread, I think Taz learned his lesson, a few good things did get discussed but in the end everyone knows the answer to this is because of the actual hardware and not how the console is played.  I would give a warning for trolling but I'll chalk this one up to ignorance and hope it doesn't happen again.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

psychoBrew said:
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
Kasz216 said:
noname2200 said:
mortono said:
Here's the actual Nielsen data whether you agree with it or not:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24782

Currently, the Wii is used a bit less than 360. But this was a different picture in 2008 when Wii Fit, SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii were all fresh on the market. PS3 gets the least usage by a pretty wide gap.

Overall, I don't think it has to do with usage. 360 and PS3 are more complicated systems that require heavier cooling systems. Sometimes these cooling systems are subpar, and the failure rate goes up in result.

For the Wii, the reduced processing power allowed them to create a very reliable system. They were able to work with older components that were refined rather than newer components that, while powerful, didn't have a chance to be refined and tested.

Wii gets used more than PS3?

Clearly it's wrong then. Taz!'s gut says otherwise, you know.

Actually i coulda swore that was a typo in their report and they had wii and PS3 swapped... maybe not, either way, I'm not a big fan of their reports.

Other interesting Nielson news from those reports though.

1 out of ever 3 games purchased is a used game.

Not sure if that's supposed to be close to the real numbers or not.  I do believe Pachter has said something similar as well.

Let's ask Taz!'s gut.

Seriously though... according to Nielson the average videogame using household makes 75K+ a year.

That isn't even remotely right.  I mean... the average gamecube user makes over 75K+ a year? 

Sounds like Nielson has a selection bias towards the rich.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040609_fnl1.pdf

Houshold mean everybody in the house.  A man making $40,00 per year, his wife or girlfriend earning $40,000 per year, and a game playing teen working fast food making $12,000 per year would equal $92,000 per year in household income.  $75K is not far fetched at all.  Besides, you would barely be able to afford a one bedroom apartment on 75K per year in some places such as New York City, where wages are mcuh higher than country areas.

According to the US Census 2006 Economic Survey, only 26.75% of households make 75K or more.

Median household income is 50K.

The fact that this is only video game playing people could skew the numbers toward the more affluent part of the population, but a 25K difference seems too large to me.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)