By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 2 things that will keep pc gaming alive for many more years

While I agree that PC gaming won't die I disagree with the reasons you listed for it. Your argument boils down to controls.

Well next generation when all consoles have precise motion control technology and IR pointers (or some new control method we have yet to see) I see the RTS finally moving to consoles as the inherent controller limitations will no longer be there.

As for mmo's, if MS and Sony start bundling keyboards and mice or something akin to that with their next gen consoles mmo's will also make the jump to consoles. Seeing as how their trying to make consoles multimedia hubs a k&m would go a long way to establishing consoles as the internet hub device in the living room.

I see PC gaming existing in the future as the place where independent developers and individuals making low budget unique games go. I feel as though the big budget games will move almost exclusively over to consoles.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network

Meh

Thank god pc gaming is more than just MMO's and RTS

Wrong. What keeps (and will keep) PC gaming alive is the fact that indie/art-house dev studios can release projects that would never have a chance of showing up on a console through services like Steam and D2D. Games like Torchlight, A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, The Path, Eufloria, and Machinarium would never see the light of day if they were pitched for PS360. The only thing comparable in the consoleverse is WiiWare, which introduced us to talented developers like Gaijin Games, 2D Boy, Frontier Developments, Over The Top, and Romino Games, and gave in-house devs like skip (developers of the Art Style series) the chance to really shine. The only thing that the HD Twins get in that vein is the odd PC/XBLA title like Braid (which was only barely profitable) and the once-a-year artsy PSN game from Sony.

It's that spirit of innovation that recently attracted me back to PC gaming and away from the HD Twins.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

All PC gaming needs to be kept alive is Blizzard.

Blizzard > Everything except maybe Nintendo

I LOVE ICELAND!

The big budget PC exclusive experience is dead outside of MMO type games. But aside from that I guess PC gaming is thriving.

Tease.

Around the Network
Garcian Smith said:

Wrong. What keeps (and will keep) PC gaming alive is the fact that indie/art-house dev studios can release projects that would never have a chance of showing up on a console through services like Steam and D2D. Games like Torchlight, A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, The Path, Eufloria, and Machinarium would never see the light of day if they were pitched for PS360. The only thing comparable in the consoleverse is WiiWare, which introduced us to talented developers like Gaijin Games, 2D Boy, Frontier Developments, Over The Top, and Romino Games, and gave in-house devs like skip (developers of the Art Style series) the chance to really shine. The only thing that the HD Twins get in that vein is the odd PC/XBLA title like Braid (which was only barely profitable) and the once-a-year artsy PSN game from Sony.

It's that spirit of innovation that recently attracted me back to PC gaming and away from the HD Twins.

Where the hell are you getting you info from, your so wrong it hurts. Braid was massively profitable, the guy who developed it made millions. XBLA is huge for independent developers. Braid, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, Trials HD, Geometry Wars, Bionic Commando Rearmed, The Dishwasher, I made a game with Zombies in it, puzzlequest. I could go on but it would fill the page and thats just for xbla, PSN has a ton of amazing and profitable Indy games too. Next time you try to post biased crud do some research please or you will be made to look ignorant.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Garcian Smith said:

That sounds very biased. XBLA/PSN have just as many good indie games.

lol @ bolded part

Braid sold more than 300.000 units on the 360 alone. The designer (Jonathan Blow) gets 70% of the revenue, that's about $3.2m !!!

The dev costs were about $200.000 - $500.000 at most, because it was an incredible small team.

Mendicate Bias said:
Garcian Smith said:

Where the hell are you getting you info from, your so wrong it hurts. Braid was massively profitable, the guy who developed it made millions. XBLA is huge for independent developers. Braid, Castle Crashers, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, Trials HD, Geometry Wars, Bionic Commando Rearmed, The Dishwasher, I made a game with Zombies in it, puzzlequest. I could go on but it would fill the page and thats just for xbla, PSN has a ton of amazing and profitable Indy games too. Next time you try to post biased crud do some research please or you will be made to look ignorant.

EDIT: I stand corrected on Braid, but that was never a 360 exclusive.

As for the rest of the games that you listed, they either made popular games for PC first or weren't developed by an indie dev house in the first place...

Castle Crashers was developed by The Behemoth, a developer that got its start with Alien Hominid on the PC.

Shadow Complex was developed, in part, by Epic Games and isn't an indie title in any sense of the word.

'Splosion Man was developed by Twisted Pixel. Their first title was The Maw, a PC/360 game.

Trials HD is an enhanced iteration of a series of free PC flash games.

Geometry Wars was developed by Bizarre Creations, a dev house owned by Activision Blizzard. They aren't indie.

Bionic Commando Rearmed was developed by GRIN, best known for developing the Tom Clancy's GRAW games. Not indie.

Ska Software were developing indie PC titles for years before releasing The Dishwasher and that zombie game.

Puzzle Quest was released first on DS/PSP before hitting XBLA, and received a PC release a mere two weeks after that.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

the "glorious masterrace" will keep it alive by annoying the "lowlife console gaming peasants"

Peterisyum said:

all the pc needs to stay alive, in my oppinion, are two game genres, the mmo and the rts.

That's the exact thing that will and is killing it.  A lack of variety and everyone just focusing on the 'next best' game in only 2 genres (more like one genre, MMOs).

RTS isn't even that big anymore, its MMOs and FPS.

Six upcoming games you should look into: