By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: The industry's hostility against Nintendo

Aren't you guys tired of Malstrom yet? Its like he's playing a one string guitar. At least learn a new tune.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Aren't you guys tired of Malstrom yet? Its like he's playing a one string guitar. At least learn a new tune.

Actually he talks about many topics

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

blunty51 said:
Forget this, I'm still waiting on theprof00's response to that 80s games comment..

Yeah that's why I keep coming back to this thread too...

Lurker said:
Nintendo must have really done something to piss off those third parties when they were on top all those years ago.

they did.

and this guy knows nothing about hardware or gaming  story, the saturn was a pain to develop, with 2 cpu,and sega die in the dreamcast area.

for the same reason GC didn't success while it was on a disc, still was not de decofacto format.

you know... if the Wii was in HD, then the xbox and ps3 wouldve been screwed to hell

they gave them a chance haha.

and they made bank off a cheaper console. while sony and microsoft probably spent 3 times as much to make each one.

Around the Network
Xoj said:
Lurker said:
Nintendo must have really done something to piss off those third parties when they were on top all those years ago.

they did.

and this guy knows nothing about hardware or gaming  story, the saturn was a pain to develop, with 2 cpu,and sega die in the dreamcast area.

for the same reason GC didn't success while it was on a disc, still was not de decofacto format.

Saturn was difficult, not impossible, and why would business suits care about how hard a time that the programmers are having as long as they make money?

Also, GC had no technical flaws, it just didn't. It had enough storage, and was build to be easy to port games to.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Malstrom whimpering now? I preferred him when he raved! Need I say more?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alot of people in this thread appear to be elitist, kinda like the people who only listen to classical music. I almost get the impression that if you like a game that has any blood in it then you're an idiot, if a game looks great and sells well then people only care about graphics and the game isn't fun. It doesn't seem to allow any room for the others.

Anyway on topic I found the article to be quite interesting with alot of ver y good points, even though it is largely speculative.

As for the flipside Lafiel rendition of Werekitten's analysis was also quite valid

Sega made disastrous business decisions with their hardware and multiple add-ons. The "Game-Industry" didn't sink Sega while twirling their collective mustaches, Sega put the holes in their own boat. Remember the surprise launch of the Saturn? The DOA CD add-on (was it the 32x, or the other cd add-on, I can't remember)?

Nintendo has also made some bad desicions over the years, like their historically poor relationships with 3rd parties, cartridges instead of cds, mini-discs instead of dvds, the lack of a hard-drive, their awful online service, sweat instead of blood (and numerous similiar instances). In fact, if it weren't for the quality of their software, even all of the great moves that they've made (Wii, DS, Wavebird) wouldn't have saved them from Sega's fate.