By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: The industry's hostility against Nintendo

I think he makes some good points. But I do think that if the Wii had had the same HD capabilites as the other consoles this gen then third parties would have flocked to it as a platform - you just can't argue with that kind of install base.

Wii code: 1534 8127 5081 0969

Brawl code: 1762-4131-9390

Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

Around the Network
JUG said:
I think he makes some good points. But I do think that if the Wii had had the same HD capabilites as the other consoles this gen then third parties would have flocked to it as a platform - you just can't argue with that kind of install base.

It wouldn't have the same install base though, this is why the Wii HD idea is stupid, Nintendo sells it consoles at a profit, so a Wii with HD would be possibly hundreds more than a normal Wii, as a result, people wouldn't have bought it, resulting in a smaller base (releasing one now, would have a similar proble, plus split the base in half resulting in weak sales and consumer backlash for Nintendo)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

c0rd said:
jneul said:

yes but did they make moe then sony back then?? i highly doubt it^^

Ugh, can't get the damn table to work. Just click here to see the profits. The pic showing the company names are dead, so the order is:

Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft

Nintendo still made a decent profit on their N64 and GC, though they really made tons on the handhelds. Sony's profits never get quite as obscene as Nintendo's (look at that 2009), mainly because they take losses on hardware sales, and don't sell nearly as much software.

ok you put up the data now good, yes as i said back then sony were making more, but now obviously they are not, i know they are in the red lol.

it's interesting to see microsoft at the bottom tho, i thought they said they make lots of profit??

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

JUG said:

What? If software development for the Wii would cost more, it would have better third party support?

Zlejedi said:

Impressive list - pity that maybe 2 of those will reach 1 M sales (MH3 is more or less sure of it, Red Steel 2 has good chance) and rest will strugle to even get 500k (Tales of Graces probably will but it's not mentioned here)

Endless Ocean 2, and Darkside Chronicles are both sequels to million selling games. There is a very good chance both of them will also cross the million mark.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

On topic, I am absolutely amazed at how terrible Malstrom's interpretation is on this one. Why on Earth would third parties want Nintendo out of the console race? The last thing they need is a third party Nintendo with a huge library of series that consistently sell 5 million plus, and with scary regularity cross the 10 million mark. Keeping them confined to one console is in the best interest of them to keep competition at an acceptable level. Nintendo is the biggest competition for sales on any platform they create. They would rule the entire industry if they could release on all current platforms.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

jneul said:
c0rd said:
jneul said:

yes but did they make moe then sony back then?? i highly doubt it^^

Ugh, can't get the damn table to work. Just click here to see the profits. The pic showing the company names are dead, so the order is:

Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft

Nintendo still made a decent profit on their N64 and GC, though they really made tons on the handhelds. Sony's profits never get quite as obscene as Nintendo's (look at that 2009), mainly because they take losses on hardware sales, and don't sell nearly as much software.

ok you put up the data now good, yes as i said back then sony were making more, but now obviously they are not, i know they are in the red lol.

it's interesting to see microsoft at the bottom tho, i thought they said they make lots of profit??

This is about the gaming divisions. Nintendo is almost all gaming division, but the other two are about the divisions.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

okies thanks for clearing that up^^

Edit - I kinda suspected it was gaming divisions only, but, i try not to make too many presumptions lol.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Gnizmo said:
On topic, I am absolutely amazed at how terrible Malstrom's interpretation is on this one. Why on Earth would third parties want Nintendo out of the console race? The last thing they need is a third party Nintendo with a huge library of series that consistently sell 5 million plus, and with scary regularity cross the 10 million mark. Keeping them confined to one console is in the best interest of them to keep competition at an acceptable level. Nintendo is the biggest competition for sales on any platform they create. They would rule the entire industry if they could release on all current platforms.

This is something i've always espoused, too. It would be interesting to see Nintendo go 3rd party, if only to see the 3rd parties have nowhere left to hide.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The reason they would want them out is that Nintendo doesn't rely on third parties. The other first parties do. The competition claim is just BS. It's about feeling important. They made Sony king the last two times, and no matter how much they tried with the PSP, PS3, and 360, they can't do it this time.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs