By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: The industry's hostility against Nintendo

jneul said:
it's not just that it's the user base as well, if you go nintendo you only really want the main 1st party titles, nothing else really matters.
luckily for devs i am not one of those type of users and like my variety mixed up quite a bit

That's hardly true.  1st party games may be the upfront driver, but in the end if 3rd parties bring worthwhile content, then the mass audience eats it up.  Look at Famicom, Game Boy or DS.  Wii could've been the same, but 3rd parties have dismissed, avoided and ultimately trashed it since the start of this gen.  To Nintendo's and their own detriment really.

Around the Network

The ''game industry'' is shrinking also, look at all the those companies that went out of business b/c of financial problems. Whose to blame? Not Nintendo, those companies made games for the PS3/XBOX360.

not all 3rd party games are trash some gems do get overlooked there are plenty of examples like madworld, zack and wiki, yet people choose wii-pay mini games over them, yeh sure they are fun for the first few times, but they get real old real quick

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:

not all 3rd party games are trash some gems do get overlooked there are plenty of examples like madworld, zack and wiki, yet people choose wii-pay mini games over them, yeh sure they are fun for the first few times, but they get real old real quick

The problem with this is in inherently blaming the platform though, and for some reason the industry tends to do this only for Nintendo.  Chinatown Wars makes for a good example, when it "bombed" on DS it was because the platform can't sell mature games/non-Nintendo games/whatever, but then when it bombs worse on PSP it's suddenly "overhead GTA just doesn't sell as well" or "ports don't sell" or "PSN phantom markets" or whatever other retroactive excuses.

MadWorld's likely sold through near 250k NA/EU and Zack & Wiki shipped over 300k worldwide.  They most likely wouldn't have performed any better on any other platform, there's just a limited market for stuff like cell-shaded beat 'em ups or cutesy puzzle adventures, no matter where you go.

jarrod said:
jneul said:

The problem with this is in inherently blaming the platform though, and for some reason the industry tends to do this only for Nintendo.  Chinatown Wars makes for a good example, when it "bombed" on DS it was because the platform can't sell mature games/non-Nintendo games/whatever, but then when it bombs worse on PSP it's suddenly "overhead GTA just doesn't sell as well" or "ports don't sell" or "PSN phantom markets" or whatever other retroactive excuses.

MadWorld's likely sold through near 250k NA/EU and Zack & Wiki shipped over 300k worldwide.  They most likely wouldn't have performed any better on any other platform, there's just a limited market for stuff like cell-shaded beat 'em ups or cutesy puzzle adventures, no matter where you go.

And yet the DS audience still bought far more copies.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

still not trolling, sorry if it feels like that i love the wii as much as my ps3, and i still think it's a shame that such great titles get overlooked...

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
still not trolling, sorry if it feels like that i love the wii as much as my ps3, and i still think it's a shame that such great titles get overlooked...

Sure, but these games were going to get overlooked regardless.  I think MadWorld might've done somewhat better as a PS360 game and Z&W probably would've done a lot worse.  Overall though, these are niche games, and neither likely lost money at least.

Forget this, I'm still waiting on theprof00's response to that 80s games comment..

jneul said:

It's easy to fault the Wii when it's the one getting all the niche games. It's not the system's fault, though - if more of these games are ported, you'd see what I'm talking about (unless I'm wrong). No More Heroes' sales on the PS3 will be one example. Besides, MH3 proved itself, and I forsee Tales doing the same.

Nick said:
As third parties shut out the Wii a ton of new gamers will shut out third parties. Most new gamers will not know or care who these developers are and will only recognize Nintendo games as quality.

As the gaming media shuts out the Wii a ton of new gamers will shut out the gaming media. Most new gamers will not know or care what these "professionals" have to say.

This is only if any of this stuff is really true. I'm still unconvinced and doubtful that the industry is really trying to get rid of Nintendo as a hardware company. However, if they are, and they don't succeed, they'll only be shooting themselves in the foot as these new gamers become core.

Forget new gamers, this kind of stuff is happening to someone who has been gaming for two decades.  I'll give you one guess who that could be.

I don't care much about most third parties, I don't care much about most of their IPs, and I don't care who develops those games.  Why?  Because they have been avoiding Nintendo consoles for the past three generations.  They haven't been building their brands on Nintendo consoles, so they are starting from scratch with me.  Even then, if you put a good game on a Nintendo console I'll probably buy it, but I'm not going to spend money on a second console to get it.  Why do I only buy Nintendo consoles?  Because I know before the generation even starts that I'm going to get 10+ great Nintendo games that are going to be some of the best games the industry has to offer.

I already ignore most of the gaming media.  The only thing most of them are 'professionals' at anymore is trolling.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Pachter for one, lol, Malstrom brought up a good point, why did Pachter apologize about calling the PSP Go a ripoff, but keeps on trumpeting the Wii HD?
Hey, Pachter still has a month and a half to go before his HD Wii in 2009 prediction looks completely ridiculous.

Yes, I know he has since pushed that prediction back to HD Wii in 2010.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)