By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: The industry's hostility against Nintendo

ameratsu said:

Arius Dion said:

I'm so glad NMH is coming to HD consoles I'm leaning toward it being a GTA:CW situation all over again.

So you're excited because an underappreciated game might flop when given another chance to find a new audience? What is wrong with you?

I'm somewhat guilty of what Arius said.

However, I'd word it differently - the game may not flop, but I'm expecting relatively low sales. It may be enough for Marvelous to be content with it, but not even close to those who proclaimed it'd do amazingly well on HD consoles. This is a wake-up call to those that do not understand the concept of niche / low budget, and instead look to metacritic or the "casual" Wii stereotype.

Around the Network
c0rd said:
ameratsu said:

Arius Dion said:

I'm so glad NMH is coming to HD consoles I'm leaning toward it being a GTA:CW situation all over again.

So you're excited because an underappreciated game might flop when given another chance to find a new audience? What is wrong with you?

I'm somewhat guilty of what Arius said.

However, I'd word it differently - the game may not flop, but I'm expecting relatively low sales. It may be enough for Marvelous to be content with it, but not even close to those who proclaimed it'd do amazingly well on HD consoles. This is a wake-up call to those that do not understand the concept of niche / low budget, and instead look to metacritic or the "casual" Wii stereotype.

I don't care any two ways about what that game does.

The word you guys are looking for or what Arius was trying to say was:

"I think No More Heroes moving to the HD consoles will be revealing."

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

D-Man, I'm not usually one to bite my tongue and I can be pretty unapologetic with my choice of language. But as many people know with online talk so many things can be lost in translation. With that said though, if I could have worded things differently in order to have more people understand what I was trying to say I have to admit your interpretation of what I was trying to say is actually 100% accurate.

If there is ever another time when my intent is not crystal clear, feel free to once again translate ;)

It will probably make me look less like an asshole, lol.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

So did you guys know Nasa wants to kill the president ?

This has about as much sense as making anti nintendo conspiracy theories.

Sorry but if third parties are not running to the Nintendo it simply means they have good reason for it and one which we will probably never know (as we don't know what happens behind closed doors of directors gabinets)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

third parties froze out gamecube because sofware did not move on it period, that is why.
only first party tiltes sold well on nintendo, and it seems to be the same all over again with the exception of a few games like resident evil and monster hunter.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network

Developers can't do what they do on the PS3 and 360 and sell well on the Wii.

Why so many test games on the Wii? Its because Developers don't know what to do on the Wii, on the PS3 and 360, they find a formula, like Zombies in shooters and run it ad nauseum, Zombies, Zombies in Space, Zombie Nazis etc.

But on Wii their attempts don't really work, they tried it with On Rail shooters for example, but most on Rail shooters don't sell well on Wii. They tried Minigames, but most non Nintendo minigames flopped, the developers find that the system on the PS3 and 360 doesn't work on the Wii.

In addition Developers don't like Nintendo, they don't like to compete their games against Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles don't have that problem, its safer for the third parties

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

it's not just that it's the user base as well, if you go nintendo you only really want the main 1st party titles, nothing else really matters.
luckily for devs i am not one of those type of users and like my variety mixed up quite a bit

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
it's not just that it's the user base as well, if you go nintendo you only really want the main 1st party titles, nothing else really matters.
luckily for devs i am not one of those type of users and like my variety mixed up quite a bit

No that's wrong, you want good games when you own a Nintendo console, but frankly on Nintendo consoles the majority of good games are made by Nintendo, third party games, with a few exceptions, are largely mediocre to terrible.

The reason again is Nintendo gamers don't want just the same formulas that are applied to the HD consoles, partly because we have Nintendo made games which are better than the formula games

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Zlejedi, you're confusing conspiracies with mass mindsets.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

jneul said:
third parties froze out gamecube because sofware did not move on it period, that is why.
only first party tiltes sold well on nintendo, and it seems to be the same all over again with the exception of a few games like resident evil and monster hunter.

That's not true at all.  Even games that far and away did amazingly on GameCube ended up getting ports to PS2/Xbox that sold dramatically worse (Sonic, MonkeyBall, Viewtiful Joe, etc) or had sequels going to other platforms entirely (Soulcalibur, Tales, Burnout, etc).  GameCube was a limited audience, but the appealing 3rd party games it did get tended to do well regardless.