By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Proof that reviewers are biased towards HD games.

almcchesney said:
and graphics is objective, either its better or not,

Not true, visuals are also subjective (Okami PS2 vs Wii for example).  Even when supposedly "improved" (SMB1/2/3 vs All-Stars for example).  Someone could legitimately prefer the visuals in GOW1/2 PS2 vs the Collection, and can't be faulted for that (though they can be argued against with another subjective view, similar to analog vs pointer controls).

Objective measure in graphics is limited solely to technical aspects (and this can apply to controls too, pointer is technically faster and more accurate than analog), and game reviews tend not to measure that but the sum visual result (which is again, inherently subjective).

Around the Network

Should you decide to look further into the subject, you will find that one case does not make a trend. First of all, there are very few reviews in so far, and almost every game released will drop in score over time on metacritic.
Secondly, as many reviewers have stated, this is THE way to play those two games. By far the better versions.

Come back when you have more evidence and the game has settled on a score. And even so, Torillian has already provided good evidence against your case.

Part of the reason for the high score is the value.
Look at the orange box, one of the highest scores of all time, the reason being because it had 4 or 5 games and so was a good value package, not because the games were the best ever.

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

The God of War collection is a great deal, well improved versions (visuals as well as performance) of the two most impressive PS2 games ever supplied on just 1 scratch resistant Blu-Ray disc with extras included for a cheap price.

Does this sound bad?

And of course reviewers prefer HD games vs SD games, they should.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

daveJ said:
Part of the reason for the high score is the value.
Look at the orange box, one of the highest scores of all time, the reason being because it had 4 or 5 games and so was a good value package, not because the games were the best ever.

I have to disagree.  Portal alone was one of the best games of 2007, and when you stack that on top of something like HL2 (considered by many to be a contender for "best game ever") you get BOTH "good value package" and "games were the best ever".

Around the Network

Portal from GameRankings 89.19% (387th ever, 29th for the year)
HL2 95.41% (17th highest ever)

I have to disagree.
Actually you are agreeing with my good value package argument

god of war 93.37% (71th best ever, 5th for the year)
god of war2 92.56% (106th best ever, 11th for the year)

Average is a bit higher than the orange box, Though personally I believe both godofwar collection and the orange box shouldnt be rated so well, in fact they shouldnt be rated at all, only the individual parts should be rated

Whats next?

Halo1,2,3,wars,ODST package (gets 99%)

GT1,2,3,4,GT5P package (gets 99%)

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

Sigh.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is also a full priced game whereas the GoW Collection is a budget release. That's also a factor. Wait till more reviews as well.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Maybe the score went up cause the value went up 2 games in 1 and the fact that the hd graphics while nice improved the games framerate and fixed the popup issues so that the game now plays better. As for the metroid example many people felt that the Gamecube versions had a much better control scheme and thus the transition they got a little bit worse.

another wiiboy crying wolf?

Its an improved game..and like most classics, good gameplay never gets old...only graphics do. If they upped the visuals(significantly at that),and managed to improve the game overall.. then GoW totally deserves the better score..

SD just looks butt ugly now...

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business