By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Proof that reviewers are biased towards HD games.

For the most part, as people have been saying, GoW updated the graphics. While Metroid Prime Trilogy upgated the graphics, updated the gameplay and has 3 games on one disk.

So what do you deem more worthy of a higher score? Graphics or gameplay? Or does it come down to an HD system vs the Wii? Either way, it seems that reviewers have been downscoring Wii games for something.

I agree, the person who started this thread didn't present his argument well (kind of condescendingly), but the facts remain. Reviewers are downscoring Wii games.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

For the most part, as people have been saying, GoW updated the graphics. While Metroid Prime Trilogy upgated the graphics, updated the gameplay and has 3 games on one disk.

So what do you deem more worthy of a higher score? Graphics or gameplay? Or does it come down to an HD system vs the Wii? Either way, it seems that reviewers have been downscoring Wii games for something.

I agree, the person who started this thread didn't present his argument well (kind of condescendingly), but the facts remain. Reviewers are downscoring Wii games.

I agree that some people seem to be misinformed about what new features Metroid Trilogy brings to the table but I don't agree it necessarily merits a higher score because of these features.  Some games do age better than others, so if you are going to provide the benefit of the doubt, it is just possible that GOW has aged better.  This would be an achievement in itself though considering how well the Prime series has aged.

hsrob said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

I agree that some people seem to be misinformed about what new features Metroid Trilogy brings to the table but I don't agree it necessarily merits a higher score because of these features.  Some games do age better than others, so if you are going to provide the benefit of the doubt, it is just possible that GOW has aged better.  This would be an achievement in itself though considering how well the Prime series has aged.

Well even giving review sites and magazines the benefit of the doubt and saying they gave GoW a high score because it aged well, why did the GoW collection score go higher on the PS3 than both its original releases?  That breaks all review standards, which usually downscore ports/sequels that weren't some monumental re-imagining or upgrade to the previous title.

Which Metroid Prime Trilogy WAS a distinct re-imagining of the previous games, with new gameplay elements and updated graphics.  Yet it got a lower overall score.  Even on IGN, the site that pretty much gave it one of the best reviews and where Matt has openly admitted Metroid is his favorite series, only gave it a 9.5.  The same score they gave the original Metroid Prime on GameCube.

All it points to is reviewers either have a double-standard when it comes to the HD systems, or a LOT of coincidences between specific game examples.

Edit: Actually, Metroid Prime got a 9.8 back in the day.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
hsrob said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

Well even giving review sites and magazines the benefit of the doubt and saying they gave GoW a high score because it aged well, why did the GoW collection score go higher on the PS3 than both its original releases?  That breaks all review standards, which usually downscore ports/sequels that weren't some monumental re-imagining or upgrade to the previous title.

Which Metroid Prime Trilogy WAS a distinct re-imagining of the previous games, with new gameplay elements and updated graphics.  Yet it got a lower overall score.  Even on IGN, the site that pretty much gave it one of the best reviews and where Matt has openly admitted Metroid is his favorite series, only gave it a 9.5.  The same score they gave the original Metroid Prime on GameCube.

All it points to is reviewers either have a double-standard when it comes to the HD systems, or a LOT of coincidences between specific game examples.

The original Metroid Prime got a 9.8 I believe, Metroid Prime 2 and 3 both got 9.5, i'm too lazy to check.

ph4nt said:

The original Metroid Prime got a 9.8 I believe, Metroid Prime 2 and 3 both got 9.5, i'm too lazy to check.

Yeah, I just went to look that up myself.  For some reason I thought it was 9.6 after I posted that, but turned out it was 9.8.

Around the Network

You guys honestly believe the difference between the GameCube and the Wii (fundamentally the difference between the GC and Wii versions of MP1,MP2.. namely widescreen and a new control setup), is even close to being similar to the difference between the PS2 and PS3, with widescreen and resolution?

MPT is hardly an upgrade. I love the new controls, but the game is not really fresh. The GoW HD remakes, on the other hand, are far and away superior to their predecessors, which were great games to begin with.

If Reviewer X,Y, or Z had to spend $40 on two awesome upgrades, or $50 on two mild upgrades and one not-upgrade... God of War is also an epic story... the game varies widely as you progress through it, and the story is deep enough to warrent playing the sequel right after you finish the first. MP1 and MP2... are practically the same game, in a crowded genre, and the story, although mildly entertaining, is pretty weak. Don't get me wrong, MPT is a great collection... but I can totally see why reviewers would say that the GoW HD collection is more fun bang for your buck.

HD is worth it. If you don't have a HDTV, I can see why you wouldn't understand. Playing GoW collection in SD wouldn't be worth it to me either. If MPT was a Wii HD game, well.. it'd be worthy of a higher score.

Think of it this way. If HDTVs weren't worth it to most people, the whole idea would have died out already, rather than completely taken over the TV section of your local store. HD conversion == worth more than input conversion to reviewers. And I agree.  I don't think you can really argue that preferring HD visuals to SD visuals is a "bias".  I don't think you can really argue that anything has changed as much as the visuals from console to console, throughout the years, and that the visuals difference between the GC and the Wii, relative to the PS2 and PS3, is MUCH less.

If there's a bias, its had by people who think HD doesn't add much to gaming, not by the reviewers.

Well i agree with the OP. Reviews have been really bent this gen if you ask me, especially those snobcore pricks from edge.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Procrastinato said:

You guys honestly believe the difference between the GameCube and the Wii (fundamentally the difference between the GC and Wii versions of MP1,MP2.. namely widescreen and a new control setup), is even close to being similar to the difference between the PS2 and PS3, with widescreen and resolution?

MPT is hardly an upgrade. I love the new controls, but the game is not really fresh. The GoW HD remakes, on the other hand, are far and away superior to their predecessors, which were great games to begin with.

If Reviewer X,Y, or Z had to spend $40 on two awesome upgrades, or $50 on two mild upgrades and one not-upgrade... God of War is also an epic story... the game varies widely as you progress through it, and the story is deep enough to warrent playing the sequel right after you finish the first. MP1 and MP2... are practically the same game, in a crowded genre, and the story, although mildly entertaining, is pretty weak. Don't get me wrong, MPT is a great collection... but I can totally see why reviewers would say that the GoW HD collection is more fun bang for your buck.

HD is worth it. If you don't have a HDTV, I can see why you wouldn't understand. Playing GoW collection in SD wouldn't be worth it to me either. If MPT was a Wii HD game, well.. it'd be worthy of a higher score.

Think of it this way. If HDTVs weren't worth it to most people, the whole idea would have died out already, rather than completely taken over the TV section of your local store. HD conversion == worth more than input conversion to reviewers. And I agree.  I don't think you can really argue that preferring HD visuals to SD visuals is a "bias".  I don't think you can really argue that anything has changed as much as the visuals from console to console, throughout the years, and that the visuals difference between the GC and the Wii, relative to the PS2 and PS3, is MUCH less.

If there's a bias, its had by people who think HD doesn't add much to gaming, not by the reviewers.

You talk about story and so on but surely that hasn't changed since the first release and was incorporated into the original score. Besides a resolution boost, far and away superior how?

p.s. Most people buy HDTV's because they look nice, take up less space than CRT TV's and these days there's no other option. There were CRT HDTV's around before LCD's that had superior picture quality to pretty much any LCD/plasma released prior to this year, yet they were superceded.

edit: I should say I actually really don't care about the reviews per se.  I have Prime Trilogy and will get to play GOW HD.

hsrob said:

You talk about story and so on but surely that hasn't changed since the first release and was incorporated into the original score. Besides a resolution boost, far and away superior how?

p.s. Most people buy HDTV's because they look nice, take up less space than CRT TV's and these days there's no other option. There were CRT HDTV's around before LCD's that had superior picture quality to pretty much any LCD/plasma released prior to this year, yet they were superceded.

edit: I should say I actually really don't care about the reviews per se.  I have Prime Trilogy and will get to play GOW HD.

Wow man.  Just wow.  People were forced into buying HDTVs, even though CRTs looked better?

That one put a smile on my face.  You made me laugh, and I appreciate that.

Procrastinato said:
hsrob said:

Wow man.  Just wow.  People were forced into buying HDTVs, even though CRTs looked better?

That one put a smile on my face.  You made me laugh, and I appreciate that.

the only tv you can buy these days are lcd's, plasma's and flat dlp's.  people are forced ot buy them unless they buy used somewhere or possibly on internet.

and he is saying crt hd tvs have better visuals than lcds.  Go to best buy, walmart, or wherever and you won't find anything but lcd's and so on.  so yes the person is forced to buy them unless they buy used somewhere. 

and story has nothing to do with this.  prime games are rated same or higher than god of war when released back in day.  both are aged fine, as you can see by millions of forums praising games.

so only difference is god of war is in hd now, while metroid got improved controls.  sure there are others like load times, widescreen, and other small thigns, but basically same on both.  And metroid is 3 games for 50, while god of war is 2 games for 40. 

SO it does prove if reviews are somehow higher now for God of War that all they care about is graphics.  How the hell does a game get 94, 90 or whatever and then a couple years later just add a few pixels and its a 98?  thats fucking bullshit.  Its not like its upgraded game, its liek playing the game on super low resolution on computer and then playing on higher resolution.  for a game coming out a copule years later just increasing resolution does not warant a higher score.   You guys always say how Wii gets all these ps2 ports like okami and make fun of the Wii, and yet hten you get a ps2 port with higher resolution and you guys praise it.