By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Local multiplayer is much more important than online multiplayer. Not having online leaves a gap in the game, but I personally feel much more offended by all these FPS games coming out without split screen even though Goldeneye had it.

just saying.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

If Mario Kart Wii can have excellent, near lagless online play, I don't see why Nintendo would have had any issues incorporating such a mode into NSMBW.

OMG! The only good Wii game of the year. I'll be getting this for Christmas... Well my sisters will, but I'll play it. :D

I already wrote that my whole response was aimed at those upset at the score. I'm sure the game is really good, and probably the best game in November, to a lot of people.

I can't wait to play it myself, but beyond score it doesn't really affect anything except maybe a minority of purchases. On a somewhat less tangible level, it does kind of lower the Nintendo reputation, but it's very debatable, to the point where one could argue 100 pages and none would have the right answer.

theprof00 said:
I already wrote that my whole response was aimed at those upset at the score. I'm sure the game is really good, and probably the best game in November, to a lot of people.

I can't wait to play it myself, but beyond score it doesn't really affect anything except maybe a minority of purchases. On a somewhat less tangible level, it does kind of lower the Nintendo reputation, but it's very debatable, to the point where one could argue 100 pages and none would have the right answer.

I think it's pretty easy to argue that it doesn't:

Lots of people will be shown this game and buy it, and think it's awesome, and not care about online multiplayer.

Result: net gain in Nintendo rep

Around the Network

Anthony when it was shown they were asked they said no, oh gosh even if i dig and find the video or the article which I don't even remember the freak'n interviewers site, you probably wouldn't even... whatever.

Anthony it was never, never, never, never,never Said by Nintendo that this game would have Online.

I will request you provide a link then before I invest the time to look for mine, before then I'll think your just using epidemiologic; which tells me I'm wasting my time.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Making music, well MkWii isn't lagless, it's just not rendering a lot most of the times, you don't need to know the details of things out of sight, this game constantly has 4 players and objects on screen, there's a higher level of precision needed than in MK for sure.

That's partially what I picked up with multiplayer, it's crazy as is, but I get frustrated at brawl enough to know that if I need to make a specific jump in mario I don't need to screen to skip even for a fraction of a second.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
prof, Nintendo already stated that online would hurt the game more than work with it at E3 2009.

It was their intention not to add it.

I would say the option would be nice, but what would be the point?

I've played the game multiplayer and I am always in support of online due to my life style, but it's very clear after playing the game that online would not be fun or the kind of fun I thought it would be.

I can understand that online is obviously not as good as local mp, but that's like saying in Littlebigplanet that they removed orange and purple from the character creation because they aren't as popular.

OK that was a horrible analogy, but in a similar vain, why is there this kind of argument where they are only giving the gamers the cream of the crop and cutting out all the mundanities? I mean, who decides what is mundane and what is popular? Like you, my schedule is really hectic. Most of the time when I'm gaming it's after 11pm. Who am I going to get to come over at 11pm? When I do have free time, I'm usually stuck doing other things like movies and parties. So what would I be expected to do? Well, I don't really have a problem with that because I bought a system that focuses a lot on online MP and strong SP experiences.

Sure I can see that online isn't as great, but at least it's something.

Again, I haven't played the game, Single player may be fantastic and online might be as necessary as Metal gear online (not necessary), but it's still an option.

I hope Nintendo doesn't take the negativity about no online to serious and decides to make a NSMBWii 2 with levels centered around online play. *shivers*

Khuutra said:
theprof00 said:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that it doesn't:

Lots of people will be shown this game and buy it, and think it's awesome, and not care about online multiplayer.

Result: net gain in Nintendo rep

the point I was making was that it might become partly synonymous. Nintendo = offline. In that case, people who wanted online may move to a different system.

You asked me if there was anything else besides score. There really isn't. I'm just trying to give you something you asked for. It is a loss. It's just that the loss is covered up by the gain...but the loss is still there, it's just swept under the rug.