By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

IGN:-
http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1044744p2.html

Closing Comments
I really, really like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I have no qualms with saying this is a far better game than the Nintendo DS version, and it could easily be the finest Super Mario Bros. 2D platformer Nintendo's ever created. You should absolutely get a copy, no question.

But, and it's a big "but," Nintendo did not use this opportunity wisely. For as big a project as this could have been, this game's impact is weakened by many factors. It plays it safe with established gameplay with very little in the way of new innovation. It also lacks online multiplayer in a generation where such a feature is expected.

I had a great time plowing through all eight worlds (and then some), but the nagging feeling of it seeming like a step backwards kept creeping in. As a gamer I love New Super Mario Bros. Wii, but as a critic I just couldn't let the issues slide.

IGN Ratings for New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.5 Presentation
Nintendo gives us the status quo here, not going above and beyond in features.
7.5 Graphics
Very modest visuals: 3D characters, 2D backgrounds, with the occasional lighting effect.
8.0 Sound
The Mario soundtrack has some great old favorites and some fun new ditties.
9.5 Gameplay
Brilliant 2D platforming and challenges makes this the best of the 2D Mario best.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
The multiplayer aspect makes this a game you'll come back to again and again.
Great
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN (AU):-
http://wii.ign.com/articles/104/1043698p1.html

Closing Comments
Whether or not this is the best Mario game to date is purely a matter of personal tastes; it's certainly the most humble on outward appearances. The red game case – a bold and loud statement of fun – is the first indicator that there's something special under the hood in this one. Still sorting the men from the boys after 20 years, Mario and Luigi's new adventure is not important because it's the continuation of a franchise we know and love – rather, it's because New Super Mario Bros. Wii demonstrates one more time why Nintendo are masters of the all-ages gaming market; relevant and refreshing but at all times reverent and above all, incredible fun.

IGN AU Ratings for New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
It's Mario through and through - from the chunky menus and familiar HUD to the use of colour. Even the overworld maps offer strategy and challenge.
8.0 Graphics
Certainly simple but effective; NSMB Wii adheres to a traditional Mario design ethic, blending 2D and 3D with a minimum of flair and fuss, but always retaining clarity.
8.5 Sound
A great soundtrack that sets the dial to 'fun' and doesn't relent. The classic sound effects are a great and evocative nod to past Mario games, while Mario himself quips away gleefully.
9.5 Gameplay
Platforming has rarely been done better; NSMB Wii blends great course design with multiplayer --and it nails it. A true all-ages gaming experience that will still test your mettle and surprise you.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
The lack of score table and online hurts, but the eight worlds are large and bursting with secrets waiting to be found. The multiplayer is joyous and compelling. Domo, Nintendo.
Outstanding
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Around the Network

Gamespot review
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=92251&page=1

8.9 would be a good score but they gave MadWorld a freaking 9.0

MadWorld deserves to be AT LEAST 1.0 behind New Super Mario Bros. Wii and yes I own both games.

Woah, did IGN US did that. Docking points because the game doesn't have online?
And that the game clearly made for local multi?

May as well dock more points for it not being a shooter or something, LOL.

Does anyone actually care that NSMBWii doesn't have online? I'm genuinely wondering, here.

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Does anyone actually care that NSMBWii doesn't have online? I'm genuinely wondering, here.

That's why. It looks like they are trying really really* hard to find an excuse to dock points.

*look at the closing comment in first post

In my eyes, IGN Wii takes some serious credibility hits if they dock the game because it doesn't have a feature they want. That's just blatant lobbyism instead of serious game critique.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

I have the game, and I do. I don't think I'll ever find 3 other people to play this with locally and LBP has proven that online would work in a platformer.

8.9-9.2 sounds about right for me so far. I expected higher than that from IGN considering the scores they've given other Wii exclusives.

I am accusing IGN of anti-Wii bias since they didn't give this game a score of at least 9.75.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

I have the game, and I do. I don't think I'll ever find 3 other people to play this with locally and LBP has proven that online would work in a platformer.

8.9-9.2 sounds about right for me so far. I expected higher than that from IGN considering the scores they've given other Wii exclusives.

Bolded is a load of crap. The two games play completely differently.

OT: They should also dock some points for it not being 3D.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video