By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Sempuukyaku said:
noname2200 said:
And that's been the case since the early 90's. The enthusiast press rarely has the pull it thinks it does. The same is true for gaming; most gamers don't even know what IGN is, let alone care about its opinion. So let them scream and yell in their small bubble to their heart's content.

It's funny, because you are 1000% correct on this point, period.

However, since we are all hardcore gamers it's difficult for us sometimes to recognize that the world of gaming media is so small and insignificant because we are so glued to it and in-tune to it. Taking a step back and putting things into perspective sometimes would help all of us, I think.

you would think that all we have to do is look at how some of those kiddy poorly rated games that "profesional" journalist bash are selling millions and just as much as the HUGE BLOCKBUSTERS of our gaming community, if not more would be enough to open peoples eyes that "hey, we are the minority"

Or that the hugely hyped games that are critically aclaimed like Okami, or Zak and Wiki do horrible sales wise would also put perspective, but nope.  Fanboys are the blindest people in the world, and sadly that is 90% of our SMALL community. 

Around the Network
asumal said:
its a blend of every 2D mario game i've ever played. tomorrow couldn't come fast enough! i really wished this game had online though, i liked the idea of online time trails and videos to see how theydid it, kind of like mari kart wii.

That's the kind of online I'd be able to get excited about. Oh well, there's always Youtube for that, even if it's a bit less convenient.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

routsounmanman said:
noname2200 said:
routsounmanman said:

The Wii and Nintendo are in a lose-lose situation right now, and I don't see them getting over it soon...

?

Where's the loss coming from?

I obviously mean Press-wise. Too much unsupported and unjustified hate.

It's gotten to a point where it's just ridiculous. The Wii has really made it apparent that the vast majority of professional trolls are completely unprofessional, whiny idiots, who doesn't want to portray anything objectively, but only try to shape the industry to be like they want it to be. They have completely misunderstood what their job is about, and I say fire the lot of morons.

N.Genckel said:
routsounmanman said:
noname2200 said:
routsounmanman said:

The Wii and Nintendo are in a lose-lose situation right now, and I don't see them getting over it soon...

?

Where's the loss coming from?

I obviously mean Press-wise. Too much unsupported and unjustified hate.

It's gotten to a point where it's just ridiculous. The Wii has really made it apparent that the vast majority of professional trolls are completely unprofessional, whiny idiots, who doesn't want to portray anything objectively, but only try to shape the industry to be like they want it to be. They have completely misunderstood what their job is about, and I say fire the lot of morons.

LOL, gaming journalism is not in any way bad press.  Hell look at the E3's lately in the last few years.  The Wii gets teared to shreds by the "professional" trollers and it is being nicknamed now.  Yet the Actual media is all going ga ga over the Wii and or other things that it finds interesting and this is shown to the public. 

The G4 live coverage, or interent coverage on gameing sites and forums stays there, it never sees the light of day to the public eye.  THe only time the hardcore games ever get publicity is when they are advertisign their own games on tv commercials that, or if they get big promotion deals like halo with burger king/mountain dew ect. 

95% of the New Super Mario Bros Wii owners won't have any idea what the game is rated and by whom, hell probably over half of them don't even know games get rated, besies T, M, E.

Well, I don't mean that it's a problem in terms of what the general public feels. The problem is that there is no objectivety in gaming journalism, just a bunch of whiny babies, screaming for tit. That's pretty frustrating if you are a hardcore gamer and your 18th birthday wasn't yesterday.

Around the Network
N.Genckel said:
Well, I don't mean that it's a problem in terms of what the general public feels. The problem is that there is no objectivety in gaming journalism, just a bunch of whiny babies, screaming for tit. That's pretty frustrating if you are a hardcore gamer and your 18th birthday wasn't yesterday.

yea i agree, i have to take breaks from gaming sites and forums quite often because otherwise would just get too much stress from getting pissed at all the whining morons.   I mean hell I just read a review earlier about Call of Duty 4 Modern War Reflex or wahtever its called and wow, I just started looking at gaming forums again recently since holiday coming up, and almost quit right tere because of that pathetic piece.

They need to grow up, they are like little kids and they need someone to constantly validate themselves, by dissing something as kiddy and immature, and how they themselves are so hardcore.  And sad thing is that gaming forums are filled to the brim with people that will do just that.   Heck just saw otherday too, of some game where the reviewer was saying how instantly you could see from vibrant colors and characters and what not else that the game was kiddy and made for little kids.  and he went on to bash the game. 

Don't recal what game it was, but regardless of what it was.  Don't gaming journalist realize that not everything is made for them.  Hell I'm not bitching whenever a kids movie is made, or a chick flick, or a womans movie.  The movies aren't made for me, and I know I won't like them.  (well not saying i won't, i don't mind disney movies/pixar/ect or some chick flics) But I'm not going to go out and bash it because its not catered to me.  Obviously a barbie pony game or whatever won't be a game the reviewer will even want to touch, but doesn't mean they should just bash it nonstop.  Review it like a professional.  Or don't review it at all. 

Yea, that is a great point and a big problem. People, and in particular gaming journalists, needs to realize that every game isn't made for them. Especially after the Wii and DS.

But it's like I said, the vast majority has no pride in their work, no integrity, and not an ounce of professionalism. They just whine and hope that'll make things work out their way.

The only satisfaction I get from this, is that I know they will never get it. Gaming is going public, whether they like it or not. The fact that only a complete moron wouldn't like that, is another, related discussion.

N.Genckel said:
Yea, that is a great point and a big problem. People, and in particular gaming journalists, needs to realize that every game isn't made for them. Especially after the Wii and DS.

But it's like I said, the vast majority has no pride in their work, no integrity, and not an ounce of professionalism. They just whine and hope that'll make things work out their way.

The only satisfaction I get from this, is that I know they will never get it. Gaming is going public, whether they like it or not. The fact that only a complete moron wouldn't like that, is another, related discussion.

ha yea kind of funny how they wish their niche games would become popular and sell millions, yet they want the gaming industry in itself to remain niche so its only for themselves.  quite the selvish group they are.