By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Does anyone actually care that NSMBWii doesn't have online? I'm genuinely wondering, here.

I didn't care. It's not like it's online only. They would've docked point if it was.

The GameTrailers review gave it an 8.9 and the guy was talking about how it was the greatest Mario ever. 

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Soap_McTavish said:
Are people seriously still defending no online? I can't believe it. I seriously can't. The game would be eons better with it, and it could be easily added. The game was a rush job people get over it.

No it wouldn't be better with it, it would just be a useless feature to the majority, and it would probably require resources to be pulled from the single player or the local multiplayer to implement it, so why cater to a howling minority?

The reason is that if Nintendo had built online multiplayer into the game, then the howling minority of forum posters that own a Wii and want this implemented, 10K strong give or take, would have purchased this game. That's right Nintendo. You could have had another 10K in sales! Now you'll feel the pinch!

You honestly think only 10k people want online? Thats a ludacris statement. I would say something like, millions of people want online. That being said, the quality of the game will not depict the sales.

Even then, it has nothing to do with sales. I'm getting the game, I preordered in full even though I want online. I can still want a feature and get a game. I'm not saying theres anything wrong with omitting it, I'm just saying it was a lazy move. From what I played, it's probably my game of the year, but if i was reviewing it I would certainly knock points for no online. A review looks at a complete package, and a multiplayer focused mario game with no online component when many other first party multiplayer games have exercised multiplayer perfectly fine with far superier engine constraints on the same platform is the issue.

If MKWii can do it, a game which involved much more work to make, why cant NSBWii have it? Do people really feel that reviewers knocking a tenth of a point or so for not having online features isn't fair? The wii is an online gaming machine. It actually has a pretty decent, free online service that works great when implemented properly. Why couldn't the developers do it? Saying it would take away from the game is also rediculous. How could it? Any respectable developer has online services handled by a different department. Nintendo isn't a small developer, this game probably had over 200 people working on it.

My biggest problem is this. They took the time to design EIGHTY or so levels for complete single and multiplayer gaming. They are balanced for both. Why not add the multiplayer feature to ensure everyone who buys the game can enjoy that?

This isn't an issue about having friends that live near me or not, I shouldn't have to. Its 2009, It's a connected world. I'm sorry to say it, but multiplayer games require a proper functioning online component to gain full marks in a critical review for it. Not everyone who is getting this game is still a child, there are a lot of older fans like me who simply do not have any gaming friends anymore. I understand that I can play with my wife, though she is totally into single player western rpgs and would probably be bored to death by the game, but I want to play with my friends who I grew up with. The guys I played mario with in my basement when I was growing up. The issue is we live on the other side of the world now. If this was any other developer omitting online would be a death sentence. the technology is there, the ease of development is there, the infastructure is there, the netcode is there, Nintendo just didn't do it. I cannot fathom why. This game is not even technically impressive for a 2d game, it simply cannot be constraining the wii's hardware. I am almost certain that this was a move to get the game out the door fast enough for the holiday season.

Onyxmeth said:

I don't have an issue with the score, but I'm tiring of the Nintendo team at IGN and their values. They seem to be people that really enjoy the PS3 and 360, and wish for the Wii to become them. Online multiplayer would have been nice, and I don't mind them docking points off for it, but keep it consistent. There's a lot of games that could use some 4 player splitscreen multiplayer and/or local co-op and they don't get docked for not having it. Both features are of equal stature, since one can never tell which is more important to the person reading the review. Either dock for both, or don't dock for either.

Onyxmeth said:

I just noticed something. Why is the lack of features (including online multiplayer) under the Presentation score and not the Lasting Appeal score? Is there no consistency where online multiplayer should land in the scoring of titles?

Honestly the two best posts in this entire mess of a thread... why is it so hard to comprehend people disagree with the basis behind this review?

Craig bitched about this shit 2 weeks going up to the review, and then the video review was nothing but him trying to justify himself than trying to actually talk about what the game does and does well, it's a poor written review with a shaky foundation and a great score, get over it people.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Soap_McTavish said:
Are people seriously still defending no online? I can't believe it. I seriously can't. The game would be eons better with it, and it could be easily added. The game was a rush job people get over it.

tbh, the lvls were pretty damn well designed, I can't tell that it's a rush job at all. I just don't think motion controls should be the only option in the game, it was amusing at first but in the end not very satisfying, the control part that is, my middle fingers were really hurting after playing for hours, not to mention having to tilt my damn arms during some lvls.

It was a design decision. Is it really that hard to wrap your head around this concept? They want people playing it next to each other because thats the experience they were pushing. Online multiplayer did not elicit the same reaction, so it was excluded. It simply did not fit the design of the game. It is a very very simple concept.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

oh I also shook myself to death by accident at least 2 times while trying to tilt, you guys will know what I mean when you play it lol, I also wish I could map the down slam to a different button(yes I killed myself pressing that by accident a few times too while trying to do moves in mid air, wtf lol) but I can't since it's Wiimote only, dang it....

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I can't believe I read through this entire thread. How the hell can you go 200 posts back and forth about the same thing? The only ones who care about online are seemingly the ones who don't even like Nintendo that much. SURPRISING, ISN'T IT?

Why can't you just acknowledge that some people would appreciate the feature?

Not everyone has 4 Wii remotes.

Not everyone knows 3 other people who'd be willing to play this game with them.

The game's big selling point is 4 player co-op and a lot more people would be able to enjoy it if they had the option to play online.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I can't believe I read through this entire thread. How the hell can you go 200 posts back and forth about the same thing? The only ones who care about online are seemingly the ones who don't even like Nintendo that much. SURPRISING, ISN'T IT?

The game's big selling point is 4 player co-op and a lot more people would be able to enjoy it if they had the option to play online.

because then people will compare it to LBP and bitch about no user created content and yaddy yada BS?

Sempuukyaku said:
In my eyes, IGN Wii takes some serious credibility hits if they dock the game because it doesn't have a feature they want. That's just blatant lobbyism instead of serious game critique.

Welcome to "gaming journalism"!

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Why can't you acknowledge some features get cut because for design reasons? Online co-op probably would be great for some, but it would not deliver the experience the designers intended. That is the stated reason it was cut.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229