By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

NINTENDO WERE IS TEH ONLINE? BAAAAWWWWWWWWWW

*Nintendo adds online*

WTF WHY R THER FRENDCODES GET THIS SHT OUT OF HEREE

*Nintendo removes friend codes*

OMG WERE IS TEH DLC? IF I CANT DOWNLOWD HALFOF TEH GAME IN DLC THEN WAT IS THE PIONT NITNENDO????//

*Nintendo removes online*

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network
mortono said:
theprof00 said:
Sempuukyaku said:
In my eyes, IGN Wii takes some serious credibility hits if they dock the game because it doesn't have a feature they want. That's just blatant lobbyism instead of serious game critique.

It's not really a "feature they want" rather than a "industry-standard feature"

It's like COD:reflex not having mic support.

Online is not standard yet. There are tons of games without online gameplay that have no critisism like this (Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy, Fallout 3, Rock Band, Wii Sports Resort, etc.) And frankly, those games don't need online. It makes me happy that they focused on single-player or local multiplayer instead of taking dev time to get the game on a network.

Craig Harris is probably one of those critics that is dissapointed with Nintendo's offering of online games, and so he rubs this into his review. He has this impression that Nintendo skimped on online (as well as having two identical toads w/ different colors) so they could bring this game before Christmas. He may be right. Without this game the Wii would be in a real bind at the end of the year.

Still, I think Nintendo decided from the start that it wouldn't be worth it to take the 4-5 extra months of dev time to build this game into a network when only 35% of the Wii user base is connected to the internet and only 4 million of those have Wii Speak (which would be required for a game like this).

Online is not standard yet, but in this point in time, if you are releasing a game where you introduce the game's main selling point as being multiplayer, then you better have some kind of online component.

None of those games, except rock band, make that kind of claim. But then again, rock band is consistently rated less than it could have been.

I just don't see the logic here. If the game had online mp, would you consider it a strength or a weakness? If you are indifferent to it, then good luck never getting online MP, because you guys are making it plainly obvious that you don't care for it. But then again, other things that nintendo fans have defended are weakpoints that even Nintendo has admitted. Thin lineups, lack of peripheral integration etc etc. So, I am going to keep thinking that online MP would have been good for the title, and Nintendo will eventually come out and say something like "we will consider doing online MP in the future", like they always do with [fill in the blank].

I wasn't trying to be harsh, but I'm sure it comes off this way. Either way, I still don't own a wii, and wouldn't buy one just for this game. I am just giving my opinion of what I think a 10/10 game would include. Needless to say, a 9.2 is still a very good score.

theprof00 said:
Online is not standard yet, but in this point in time, if you are releasing a game where you introduce the game's main selling point as being multiplayer, then you better have some kind of online component.
Or what?

Edit: Also Nintendo said a long time ago that they would consider it for future titles, and by "a long time ago" I mean last month: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/10/shigeru-miyamoto/

Soap_McTavish said:
I'm only comparing them based on the fact that they are platformers, but still.

Craig Harris of IGN writes: "This is aimed squarely at Nintendo and all the fanboys defending its decision: make any excuse you want, but any other first party publisher on any other current generation system would have ensured that a game as high a caliber as New Super Mario Bros Wii would have put focus on getting the game online. The fact that this game totally shuns online completely shows Wii owners just how unimportant internet play is to the company. Or rather, it continues to show how ignorant Nintendo is to the online demand."

I'll indicate to you and Craig if I may that Sony and Microsoft being the other 1st parties of mention haven't the resource to create a Mario game, it's a case of  should of, could of and would of.  Neither have the talent to create a game like this, hence why neither have a mascot like this. (Yes Master Chief included, eh hem ODST *cough*)

Secondly a person like Craig should remember why Nintendo said no online was placed into this game, and also he should know Nintendo would love to put more attention to getting their users online but they didn't add it for the good of the game. If you don't examine it then you'd think this game works well with online, play it and you'll notice the difference between online and local multiplayer.

I'll argue that the only reason gamers want online is because of past expreiences with local multiplayer. In the end for certain softwars and consoles online isn't the same for more than obvious reasons.

Lastly if Nintendo copied or did in concept or thought like other 1st parties, we would have a HD standard controled game and yet another media hub PC lite console.

Simply this Mario game would not exist. If it wasn't for Wii pushing 2d gaming with VC and showing other things people wanted the other 1st parties would be forging on into "HD isn't good enough we need UHD and more DLC."

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

What the hell is wrong with some people??? Get some real mates and play this at your house it f**kin rocks!!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:

*Nintendo adds online*

WTF WHY R THER FRENDCODES GET THIS SHT OUT OF HEREE

*Nintendo removes friend codes*

OMG WERE IS TEH DLC? IF I CANT DOWNLOWD HALFOF TEH GAME IN DLC THEN WAT IS THE PIONT NITNENDO????//

*Nintendo removes online*

the dlc part is just completely illogical, IRL people wouldn't clamor for DLC and Nintendo wouldn't take away the online.

IRL the service is supposed to get better and better, but you apparently think that fans are the reason that nintendo is doing this? Apparently the fans control Nintendo, right? Which is why everyone is completely satisfied with the Wii right now.

It boggles my mind that with so much money coming in, they can be making so many mistakes. But then again, with such a rabid fanbase, why put more money into the system when people will accept and defend cost cutting measures?

Khuutra said:

theprof00 said:
Or what?

Edit: Also Nintendo said a long time ago that they would consider it for future titles, and by "a long time ago" I mean last month: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/10/shigeru-miyamoto/

Or it won't get a 10/10

Of course they did. They always do that.

theprof00 said:
Khuutra said:

theprof00 said:
Or what?

Or it won't get a 10/10

Of course they did. They always do that.

Listen if that's the best threat you can level at New Super Mario Bros.

I just

I don't know what to tell you

prof, Nintendo already stated that online would hurt the game more than work with it at E3 2009.

It was their intention not to add it.

I would say the option would be nice, but what would be the point?

I've played the game multiplayer and I am always in support of online due to my life style, but it's very clear after playing the game that online would not be fun or the kind of fun I thought it would be.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Gamers are a funny breed. Modern Warfare 2 got totally bashed by most people because it didn't have dedicated servers, and this game doesn't have online multipalyer at all and it's not a problem. And as far as i can remember, Nintendo promised online multiplayer in Super Mario Bros. at first, so why aren't there any massive complaints about it?