By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

how bout you guys get some friends irl then you can have fun playing offline.

Around the Network
irstupid said:

That would go against the evolution of mankind.

well, you know what I can't argue against options, I can only say, that most who argue for online haven't played the game enough.

I played it so far for about 4 hours and I can pick up why it doesn't have online. But that's just me.

When I get home I'll try it, tomorrow I'm heading to see some friends so you know what I'm bringing.

You know what... there's a 32+ minute video about the games multiplayer, check it out.

It should give you an idea of how epic the offline multiplayer is and why online can't cut it.

It's more than just lag issues.

It's that putting online would rip at the soul of the game.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

"It's that putting online would rip at the soul of the game."

ok, well if that's your argument then I'll let you have it. To me, a statement like that must come from some really deep emotional tie, so I will accept your view. Especially since you have experience actually playing the game.

But I will not rule out the possibility that it could have been done by what is now, what, one of the top 10 richest companies in the world?

prof check this out

it starts slow but you'll see, picture yourself as one of those guys playing and play it with them.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-new-super-mario-bros/17-1633/

Around the Network
irstupid said:

Me: He guys, wanna come over to my house and play Mario?

Guys: Fuck that shit. *all go back to playing Modern Warfare 2*

Wildvine53 said:
I'm not sure if this was stated before, but in the closing comments, they said that its a much better game the NSMB ds, but NSMB ds got a 9.5, and they only gave NSMBwii an 8.9, this is why I dont like IGN

If you can wait a week or two, Rol can happily explains to you why It Makes Perfect Sense.™

theprof00 said:

So can I announce a game, and then say, "hey guys, instead of using an artist, we are using clipart, because it's different, and matches up with the idea that this game is different"?

Worked for Scribblenauts.

c0rd said:

Did anyone watch the video?

Watch an IGN review? I'd rather play Bionic Commando.

Soap_McTavish said:
Different, the omission of split screen is because it is vastly inferior. Omit the online and the game is a worthless shell.

Oh. Oh my.

Soap_McTavish said:

I would, except the game is a million times better and totally designed for multiplayer.

Before that, Soap_McTavish said:

Seriously guys, a 2d Mario game with no next gen features and a sloppy multiplayer implementation getting a 8.9 means that the rest of the game must be absolutely amazing. Think of it that way. I am, and I cant wait.

noname am confused now.

Edit: I see Rol brought this up already.

forest-spirit said:
If NSMBWii was made purely as a single player game without any multiplayer whatsoever we would see 9.5 reviews...

Nah, we'd be seeing bitching about the retrogression to 2D. Remember, old-school is only cool if I can download it for $10!

gansito said:
i get that wii fanboy's argument that online is an extra feature, but a game is worth $49.99, and i wouldn't give nintendo a free pass just for their missed opportunity, since they're charging me full price, hence why i will pick this game up when its cheaper, or when theres a special deal

Way to take a stand, dude.

tuoyo said:
I don't want to say what I think of some of the posters above to avoid being banned for the first time ever. 

I've been here for over 18 months and never been banned. So take it as gospel when I tell you that the mods don't ban you just for calling a spade a spade.

Soap_McTavish said:
Why is it rediculous to expect a game in 2009 which features 4 player multi player to have a bare minimum of online features on a console that has an internet service? I just don't get it.

I was wondering if you could construct a semi-coherent statement. Glad to see you can. Yes, it's fair to expect certain features in 2009. Yes, you're entitled to feel that way. No, we don't all have the same circumstances that you do. No, your frustration does not justify the stupid stances you've taken in this thread. No, "rediculous" is not a word.

silicon said:
From what he said in the video review it sounded like it should have gotten lower... but he didn't give it lower because it was Mario.

And yet what he said in the written review would lead you to believe it would score much higher. Welcome to IGN, where scores differ depending on how long it's been since we ingested the acid.

Soap_McTavish said:

Craig Harris of IGN writes: "This is aimed squarely at Nintendo and all the fanboys defending its decision: make any excuse you want, but any other first party publisher on any other current generation system would have ensured that a game as high a caliber as New Super Mario Bros Wii would have put focus on getting the game online. The fact that this game totally shuns online completely shows Wii owners just how unimportant internet play is to the company. Or rather, it continues to show how ignorant Nintendo is to the online demand."

While it's true that Craig Harris' opinion is always valued highly by everyone everywhere, I have no idea why you're bringing up a quote from an internet gamer to support your personal position.

RolStoppable said:

Other first party publishers don't have any games of the caliber of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, so Craig's point is moot.

That's not true. Pong was pretty badass in its day.

theprof00 said:

Online is not standard yet, but in this point in time, if you are releasing a game where you introduce the game's main selling point as being multiplayer, then you better have some kind of online component.

I fervently disagree. One, the game's built just as much for one player as it is for two, as has been made clear in multiple interviews and confirmed (with some acerbity) by reviewers. Two and more importantly, you CAN base a multiplayer game around LOCAL multiplayer. In fact, I desperately wish that more games did just that. Sure, it'd be nice to have my cake and eat it too, but I don't hear too much bitching that online multiplayer games nowadays tend to lack local multiplayer. Odd that the lack of a feature more gamers probably value is whined about less than the lack of a different (albeit nice) feature.

To condense: MP online games routinely omit local play. Why is that very crucial omission excused, while local MP games "must" have online?

Bladeforce said:
What the hell is wrong with some people??? Get some real mates and play this at your house it f**kin rocks!!

In fairness, not everyone can. Sad, sure (and I don't mean that in a condescending way), but it's still true. That said, I stand by my previous statement: anyone who won't play Mario is no friend of mine.

dib8rman said:

I've played the game multiplayer and I am always in support of online due to my life style, but it's very clear after playing the game that online would not be fun or the kind of fun I thought it would be.

Why the hell do all the other Americans on this site already have the game?! I made the mother-f***ing official thread on a site with thousands of visitors. Doesn't that mean something to you Nintendo?!

AnthonyW86 said:
 And as far as i can remember, Nintendo promised online multiplayer in Super Mario Bros. at first, so why aren't there any massive complaints about it?

When was this?

KungKras said:
Local multiplayer is much more important than online multiplayer. Not having online leaves a gap in the game, but I personally feel much more offended by all these FPS games coming out without split screen even though Goldeneye had it.

just saying.

Wholeheartedly seconded!

DeadpoolBub said:
OMG! The only good Wii game of the year.

Little King's Story would like to have a word with you. Something about kicking your a** and taking your name, I didn't catch all the details.

theprof00 said:

I can't wait to play it myself, but beyond score it doesn't really affect anything except maybe a minority of purchases. On a somewhat less tangible level, it does kind of lower the Nintendo reputation, but it's very debatable, to the point where one could argue 100 pages and none would have the right answer.

Don't be silly. My answer is always the right answer.

forest-spirit said:
I hope Nintendo doesn't take the negativity about no online to serious and decides to make a NSMBWii 2 with levels centered around online play. *shivers*

Nintendo wouldn't be in its current position if it read what we net nerds whined about, let alone if it actually followed the internet's collective advice!

theprof00 said:

the point I was making was that it might become partly synonymous. Nintendo = offline. In that case, people who wanted online may move to a different system.

I would argue that happened long, long ago. Say, when it took almost a year for the first online game, or when Brawl was borderline unplayable online. The damage is long since done there.

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Me: He guys, wanna come over to my house and play Mario?

Guys: Fuck that shit. *all go back to playing Modern Warfare 2*

You have shitty friends.

No, I don't care that they get you laid on a daily basis. They have rejected the greatness that is Mario. They are now officially shitty.

Offically.

dib8rman said:
prof check this out

it starts slow but you'll see, picture yourself as one of those guys playing and play it with them.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-new-super-mario-bros/17-1633/

Oh, yeah I knew it was going to be like this.

But, an interesting illustration of this is that I'm enjoying listening to them playing, and I'm not in the same room as them or even playing the game.

I could, had I recorded them, shown you videos of me and friends playing LBP online and interacting just like this. Me and several people from this site have had a blast playing LBP despite lag.

It's definitely going to be a great game and the more I see it, the more I want it. But when I really think about it, I question whether I am even going to be able to have this kind of experience with it. This is more the kind of experience I would have had back when I didn't work and have school etc etc.

omg noname, that post... omg... oh-my-god

dib8rman said:
omg noname, that post... omg... oh-my-god

Sadly, that's still smaller than *many* of my posts.