By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - People are so ignorant that I get cracked up by it everyday...

madkiller said:

Let us clear up a few things that people seem to not understand.

Microsoft has NOTHING to do with the recent Arcade deals going on at Wal-Mart and Amazon. Wal-Mart did this as an early black friday deal and Amazon followed suit to match them. Secondly, the deal was not for a $99 Arcade, it was a NORMAL priced $199 Arcade that came with a $100 gift card that had to be used on DIFFERENT purchases.

Next item up: Microsoft has not lowered the price of the Arcade or any of their SKUs and there has not even been a rumor that says that are even thinking of another price cut. There is no reason for MS to lower the price on their SKUs since they are acutally making PROFIT on their hardware. Sony may be selling more hardware, but too bad they are still LOSING money on every unit sold. So, all Sony is doing by selling more units is losing more money. I believe that was the dumbest thing they could ever do since they were posting a loss in every single quarter as a company already.

MS doesn't need another price cut at the moment, but they could put a dagger in Sony at any time considering they have been profitable on hardware for quite a while now, is making massive money with exclusives like ODST, will outsell PS3 2 to 1 with MW2 starting tonight, have Left 4 Dead 2 next week, doing well with other exclusives like Forza 3, and we can't forget that as a company are raking in massive profits because of the recently released Windows 7 operating system that will surpass XP as the number 1 operating system in the world in the next 1-2 years easily.

To make things short, MS is doing great money wise, Sony is drowning in losses, so even if PS3 outsells the 360 for the holidays or the year it doesn't matter because MS wins either way in terms of major profits compared to major losses...

When 360 is outselling PS3, it's: "haha PS3 is getting outsold" (even though PS3 has sold faster than 360).

When PS3 is outselling 360, it's: "haha Sony is still losing money" (even though Sony has made over $1.5 billion or thereabouts in the gaming industry overall and Microsoft has lost, what, $5billion or $6billion?)

By the way, the recent Arcade deals -- and therefore the extra Arcade sales -- are GOOD LUCK for MS, and nothing more, if MS had nothing to do with offering them.  Do you want to know why Wal-Mart didn't offer $100 on PS3 purchases?  Because this winter Sony is going to easily sell through all the PS3 slim units they're producing (at double the rate of production of last year), and so there are insufficient units to allow for huge promotions to try to sell through those units.  Maybe some limited promotions will still take place, who knows.  But the 360 Arcade units are certainly plentiful in supply, and were not exactly flying off the shelves, and no doubt would NOT have been completely sold through this holiday season.  Thus there was headroom for a promotion to sell more of them.

Around the Network
Steroid said:
It's good that you take pride in Microsoft's profit margins, perhaps you own some of their stock.

But me, I'm a consumer. So pardon me if my mouth isn't agape in awe at MS "genius" practices of charging their customers fees for things that other consoles have standard including $100 for a 60 GB HDD or 50 bucks per year in online gaming fees.

Bitter much? Several million others don't agree with you.

OT: Wal-Mart did this last year with the PS3. Just because the price is lower this year for the 360, and they are getting the $100 gift card doesn't mean MS is sleeping with Wal-Mart. WallyWorld is a cutthroat biz looking out for themselves, not MS, not Sony and definitely not the consumer.

If you want to say MS moneyhatted that, go ahead and believe that.

madkiller said:
kowenicki said:
leo-j said:
libellule said:
leo-j said:
Then why are all walmart ads assosiated with the XBOX 360?

perhaos an internal decision like the PS3 gift card last year

I'm not talking about gift cards, I am talking about advertisement, every ad walmart has shown has been about the XBOX 360 "The best family console with the best games, come get it at walmart, XBOX 360 JUMP IN" I've been seeing those ads ever since October

its not rocket science

Wal-mart is in the US

In the US the 360 install base is twice that of the PS3...  

Exactly, Wal-Mart did not become the richest company in the world by being dumb. The 360 will always have a huge lead in the U.S. and Wal-Mart recognizes that and makes decisions accordingly...

So whats so smart about giving away a $100 gift card with a console when your profit margin on that console wont cover the $100 without having a deal in place with the manufacturer of said console?

The PS3 is outselling the 360.

No matter how you spin it.

Don't be so butthurt, and don't troll. It's just petty.

kowenicki said:
leo-j said:
libellule said:
leo-j said:

I'm not talking about gift cards, I am talking about advertisement, every ad walmart has shown has been about the XBOX 360 "The best family console with the best games, come get it at walmart, XBOX 360 JUMP IN" I've been seeing those ads ever since October

its not rocket science

Wal-mart is in the US

True.

However, in recent times, the PS3 has been outselling the 360 in America. Which shows that the PS3 has the potential to outsell the 360 in America, given the right price and some good deals and marketing.

Let's go back to the PS3 outselling the 360 in America. Surely, then, a similar deal for the PS3 would raise both PS3 and 360 console sales? Thus increasing overall sales for Wal-Mart, and increasing revenue and also profit?

Something is fishy about that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
madkiller said:
kowenicki said:
leo-j said:
libellule said:
leo-j said:

its not rocket science

Wal-mart is in the US

Exactly, Wal-Mart did not become the richest company in the world by being dumb. The 360 will always have a huge lead in the U.S. and Wal-Mart recognizes that and makes decisions accordingly...

So whats so smart about giving away a $100 gift card with a console when your profit margin on that console wont cover the $100 without having a deal in place with the manufacturer of said console?

It isn't the profit margin on the console that the gift card is taking away from.  It is the profit margin on whatever the customer purchases with the $100 gift card.  The gift card means nothing until the customer gets something else with it.

MontanaHatchet said:

Sometimes I forget why you're so awesome.

Posts like this make me remember.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

CGI-Quality said:
^^ He's no longer a mod why?!!

Because I love to say stuff like that.

Bold stuff.

MontanaHatchet said:

The number 1 troll post in this thread is yours so I don't know exactly who you think you are talking about...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

People love to cheer for the underdog.