By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Valve generating more hatred than Bliizzard?

Has Valve even tried to develop a game for PS3? I mean wasn't The Orange Box ported by somebody else?

Around the Network

I'm mostly a PC gamer so my view probably isn't what you're looking for... But anyway, Blizzard isn't forcing to to use a third-party program to be able to play games - Valve is. There's nothing wrong with Steam, I just don't want to be forced to use it. Also, Valve isn't exactly 'fair'.

And to get back on topic, I don't mind someone developing exclusively for PC, or for consoles if that's how it's supposed to be. Exclusives are nice, as long as there's a good reason for it. As for developing exclusively for one console only... That's a bit trickier. Some have good reasons, mostly there seems to be money involved and Valve's biggest reason seems to be hate for PS3.

LOL...people just don't know when to quit!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

PDF said:
Your silly and missing the point
1. Its not about non console support its about non PS3 support.
2. Valve down talking the PS3 since this generation. They sound fanboyish. They are developers and I personally feel like they should take hold the moral standard.

Its just like politicians. Cheating doesnt affect their policy making decisions but yet it gets them in trouble.

When the creator of Metal Gear took a similar atttitude, you has cheering on for him being a fan of the Playstation platform.  It wasn't as insulting of the XBox platform, but it was out there showing favortism.

Staude said:
Easy. Valve makes games for one console and insult the other/it's users etc.

Blizzard makes their games for the pc only. And as long as they don't insult other consoles I doubt thay'd get any hate for making games for one console either.

When did Valve insult the PS3 users?

Around the Network

Because some people who love the PS3 take criticism against the console as a personal insult. It's offensive to them when Valve flames the PS3, and so they flame them.

Blizzard didn't insult a console, so those people who love those consoles don't flame them.

Ironically, some of these people who were insulted, try to imply that Valve isn't one of the best videogame developers, and to the contrary, they imply that they are over-rated, or "not that good." Of course, this is just as fallacious as saying that Blizzard sucks, and while it's an opinion, it is an opinion that almost no one who actually played these Valve games would agree with unless their opinions were colored by the insult Valve gave to their console of choice.

Truth is, The Orange Box taken as one game, is one of the best games of all time, and it's fairly new. Valve's game history speaks for itself. It's amazing, and they are one of the few companies that can be compared with top developers like Nintendo, Sony, and Rockstar North, consistency wise, imho.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I think you stated the obvious, OP.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

CGI-Quality said:
richardhutnik said:
PDF said:
2. Valve down talking the PS3 since this generation. They sound fanboyish. They are developers and I personally feel like they should take hold the moral standard.

Its just like politicians. Cheating doesnt affect their policy making decisions but yet it gets them in trouble.

When the creator of Metal Gear took a similar atttitude, you has cheering on for him being a fan of the Playstation platform.  It wasn't as insulting of the XBox platform, but it was out there showing favortism.

Did Kojima insult the 360 though? If he did, I wasn't aware.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=74675

If not insulting the 360, it was apparently bias in favor of the PS3 as a platform to develop on.  When it looked like that Kojima wasn't doing anything on the 360, it was applauded, and the Sony fan side delighting in him being loyal to them.

richardhutnik said:
PDF said:

Kojima did it out of loyalty to a company that had given him success and helped him create some of the greatest games of all time. He's never badmouthed the Xbox once, and furthermore MGS: Rising is on Xbox 360. He made MGS4 PS3 exclusive as a sort of "thank you" to Sony.

Imagine if Bungie and Microsoft split. Okay, that did happen. Now, imagine, no binding contracts, nothing. They could make a PSWii60 game if they wanted. They even get the Halo IP. And they make Halo 4 a 360 exclusive. Would anyone really hate them for that? Absolutely not.

Valve does it out of laziness and unwillingness to adapt. If they want to do that, fine. But they can't exactly expect PS3 owners to shower them with glory and bow down to them when they call the PS3 a failure, say the community sucks, and admit that they're not willing to put any effort into it and if anyone wants to make a crappy port, go ahead.

I wouldn't buy a Valve game on PS3, anyway.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@Richard

Just give up man you cant beat survival mode.