By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Wii isn't in a healthy situation we need to recover momentum

SaviorX said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I'm frankly tired of Iwata's TALK."

Wait. He's been admitting they did something wrong and need to fix it so often you got sick of it? Last I checked this is just the second or third time in less than a month. Not enough time for action. They can't just make system selling games faster than that.

It has been 3 times within the last week, unless a month has gone by that quickly. And besides, it is not like Nintendo just realized this slump in mid-October of 2009 during breakfast. I'm not saying all those games I mentioned should be released today (that's not reasonable) but for Pete's sake, some info on something or a keynote on how they are updating their current strategy would be nice.

Obviously, I am not the only one to whom it appears Nintendo has been doing [nothing] Wii-related. Media has been fuming over it since last Christmas with Animal Crossing/Wii Music and gamers have been complaining as well. The only immediate solution has been Mario games,...which I will be playing.

LordTheNightKnight, I have agreed with you on dozens of topics concerning anything Ninty related in the immediate past, but I'm honestly tired of finding excuses for Nintendo's mistakes and pretty much defending their many faults in the past year. They need to get with it.

wow...im shocked..and yes this is 3rd this week we Iwata knocks the Wii article

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I'm frankly tired of Iwata's TALK."

Wait. He's been admitting they did something wrong and need to fix it so often you got sick of it? Last I checked this is just the second or third time in less than a month. Not enough time for action. They can't just make system selling games faster than that.

I think what most are saying is ' less talk and more action'...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Iwata, the solution is simple.

It's time for a Zelda trailer.

The Wii in Japan has gone from being the fastest selling home console, to having the worst 2nd year since the NES, and will now have the worst 3rd year (by far) ever for a leading home console (see here, ommitted PS2 due to odd launch timing).

They will need some killer software to build momentum. It won't be easy - the Vitality Sensor being a massive hit is a must. Honestly, if they cared that much about the Wii doing well in Japan, I think they could have put off some of their DS efforts (e.g. 2 handheld Zelda's long before a console release) in favor of the Wii.

3rd parties cannot be blamed for the Wii's failure in Japan. When Nintendo needs them, they secure them (MH3, DQX). The real problem is, they have been unable to create enough system sellers (like Wii Fit, MKWii). Wii Music, Animal Crossing, and to a point even SMG/Zelda were not the hits Nintendo had hoped for. I just think they haven't put out enough great motion controlled games, the Wii's main strength. The Motion+ software is taking too long!

@Snesboy

That's the only true!!

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network

The problem isn't just making good games anymore. We got those. Stuff like Muramasa, Little King's Story, A Boy and his Blob, etc. The problem is, Japan is switching to handhelds faster than America is switching to CGI Animation. They need to convince people, especially the Japanese, to come back to consoles.

As I said a year ago, the Wiis biggest competition now is the DS.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Wasn't Wii Sports Resort and Motion Pluss going to skyrocket the hardware sales? The price cut did work though but it has still to reach former glory (2008 numbers).
In regards to 3rd parties; they're largely decided for this gen, we won't see huge shifts in effort from here on out I think, convincing developers to make bigger budget games on a console in decline that also seems to have a problem moving such software is a daunting task indeed.
The Wii will have another great holiday season, no doubt (not sure it'll trump last years numbers though even with a lower price), but early 2010 will be telling and will reveal it's fate.

Snesboy said:
Iwata, the solution is simple.

It's time for a Zelda trailer.

How about trailers for all games that are currently in development in house at Nintendo?  Get some hype building for the New Year.  Let people who get a Wii this holiday season know what they have to look forward to from Nintendo in 2010.

it's good they are self aware, things are much better than last year though. They could still be better, and hopefully they will.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
it's good they are self aware, things are much better than last year though. They could still be better, and hopefully they will.

Much better than last year? Where?

OT: Anyone could have seen this coming since last year. Nintendo has been really slow in releasing games, to apoint where all they could offer for half a year was GC ports. With that kind of strategy, how could they NOT fail.

Now it's too late already to reverse things back to 2008 levels. Perhaps they will be lucky to sell what they did this year in 2010. Momentum has already died and not even a price cut, bundles and new colours were enough to help sales.

Many are posting thins I posted during this year and was called a hater. Like, why does Nintendo focus too much on the DS and leaves the Wii aside on its prime years (IE releasing far more games for it, giving it 2 Zelda games while the Wii just got a GC port). Why does Nintendo not localize games? Why do they reveal the games so close to release or never share anything about them until it's too late and no one cares for them? Why not advertise all of your games? Why ignore so many IP's they have sitting there and keep on releasing games on a couple franchises? Why did they release M+ with no games, and there won't be anymore for a full year after the release or perhaps more? Why don't we know a damn thing about what their teams are working on at the moment... only 8 out of 25 teams have known projects, and you tell me they need more people working? Why not secure 3rd party games if they know 3rd party devs will almost never give the Wii a main franchise or a long, quality game?

These and more will never be answered. You know Nintendo, I know Nintendo. Had they not rested on their laurels and everything would have been OK. 1 and a half yers offering nothing is pretty pathetic.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies