By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Wii isn't in a healthy situation we need to recover momentum

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
The problem isn't just making good games anymore. We got those. Stuff like Muramasa, Little King's Story, A Boy and his Blob, etc. The problem is, Japan is switching to handhelds faster than America is switching to CGI Animation. They need to convince people, especially the Japanese, to come back to consoles.

As I said a year ago, the Wiis biggest competition now is the DS.

Thinking like this is what's making the Wii fall.  Muramasa, LKS, and Boy and His Blob are all quality games but none of them are big sellers or have the capability to be heavy hitters, you want proof look at the sales.  The proplem goes much deeper than handhelds, Wii sales have slowed significantly world wide, and it's software no longer dominates the weekly charts.

Look at all the cool games released on 360 and PS3 this holiday; Borderlands, Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, Assasin's Creed 2, Tekken 6, Demon's Soul, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST.. need I even go on!  These are all AAA or AA games that have huge marketing campaigns behind them, there is absolutely NO competition.  On top of that Final Fantasy 13, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect are just around the corner next year.  Yeah Nintendo has some games coming up, but going against this sheer volume of great games will be very hard.

What Nintendo needs to do is invest the massive amounts of money they have made by making lots of quality software not only to lure in more buyers but to keep current Wii owners happy, speaking as a Wii owner the only Wii game I have been happy with this past year is Pikmin... and that's a 9 year old port!.  This past year was beyond pathetic.  Nintendo also needs to make (or have someone else) at least a few games that have "bad asss" writen on them.... something like Gear, Borderlands, Bioshock.  Nintendo had games of this calibar on the N64 with 007, Perfect Dark, Doom, etc... why can't Wii?

Around the Network
trestres said:
johnsobas said:
it's good they are self aware, things are much better than last year though. They could still be better, and hopefully they will.

Much better than last year? Where?

OT: Anyone could have seen this coming since last year. Nintendo has been really slow in releasing games, to apoint where all they could offer for half a year was GC ports. With that kind of strategy, how could they NOT fail.

Now it's too late already to reverse things back to 2008 levels. Perhaps they will be lucky to sell what they did this year in 2010. Momentum has already died and not even a price cut, bundles and new colours were enough to help sales.

Many are posting thins I posted during this year and was called a hater. Like, why does Nintendo focus too much on the DS and leaves the Wii aside on its prime years (IE releasing far more games for it, giving it 2 Zelda games while the Wii just got a GC port). Why does Nintendo not localize games? Why do they reveal the games so close to release or never share anything about them until it's too late and no one cares for them? Why not advertise all of your games? Why ignore so many IP's they have sitting there and keep on releasing games on a couple franchises? Why did they release M+ with no games, and there won't be anymore for a full year after the release or perhaps more? Why don't we know a damn thing about what their teams are working on at the moment... only 8 out of 25 teams have known projects, and you tell me they need more people working? Why not secure 3rd party games if they know 3rd party devs will almost never give the Wii a main franchise or a long, quality game?

These and more will never be answered. You know Nintendo, I know Nintendo. Had they not rested on their laurels and everything would have been OK. 1 and a half yers offering nothing is pretty pathetic.

sorry i'll take the 2009 lineup anyday, if you don't agree it's just an opinion.  I'm not just talking about first party. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

trestres said:
johnsobas said:
it's good they are self aware, things are much better than last year though. They could still be better, and hopefully they will.

Much better than last year? Where?

OT: Anyone could have seen this coming since last year. Nintendo has been really slow in releasing games, to apoint where all they could offer for half a year was GC ports. With that kind of strategy, how could they NOT fail.

Now it's too late already to reverse things back to 2008 levels. Perhaps they will be lucky to sell what they did this year in 2010. Momentum has already died and not even a price cut, bundles and new colours were enough to help sales.

Many are posting thins I posted during this year and was called a hater. Like, why does Nintendo focus too much on the DS and leaves the Wii aside on its prime years (IE releasing far more games for it, giving it 2 Zelda games while the Wii just got a GC port). Why does Nintendo not localize games? Why do they reveal the games so close to release or never share anything about them until it's too late and no one cares for them? Why not advertise all of your games? Why ignore so many IP's they have sitting there and keep on releasing games on a couple franchises? Why did they release M+ with no games, and there won't be anymore for a full year after the release or perhaps more? Why don't we know a damn thing about what their teams are working on at the moment... only 8 out of 25 teams have known projects, and you tell me they need more people working? Why not secure 3rd party games if they know 3rd party devs will almost never give the Wii a main franchise or a long, quality game?

These and more will never be answered. You know Nintendo, I know Nintendo. Had they not rested on their laurels and everything would have been OK. 1 and a half yers offering nothing is pretty pathetic.

Agree with everything trestres said.

@john: I though we were talking about the current situation of the Wii. Line-ups are opinions, but the situation is not better.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Sounds like Nintendo is a bunch of winers to me. Leading the pack and still bitching, please. When they were in third place like last gen there was reason to bitch.

Around the Network

The fact that Iwata acknowledges the problem the Wii is facing shows that he wants to do something about it.

chocoloco said:
Sounds like Nintendo is a bunch of winers to me. Leading the pack and still bitching, please. When they were in third place like last gen there was reason to bitch.

Talking about the executives or the fans??? ..... or maybe both?

alfredofroylan said:
chocoloco said:

Talking about the executives or the fans??? ..... or maybe both?

I meant the executives, brother;the fans have more right to bitch or not right now.

SnowFlow said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
The problem isn't just making good games anymore. We got those. Stuff like Muramasa, Little King's Story, A Boy and his Blob, etc. The problem is, Japan is switching to handhelds faster than America is switching to CGI Animation. They need to convince people, especially the Japanese, to come back to consoles.

As I said a year ago, the Wiis biggest competition now is the DS.

Thinking like this is what's making the Wii fall.  Muramasa, LKS, and Boy and His Blob are all quality games but none of them are big sellers or have the capability to be heavy hitters, you want proof look at the sales.  The proplem goes much deeper than handhelds, Wii sales have slowed significantly world wide, and it's software no longer dominates the weekly charts.

Look at all the cool games released on 360 and PS3 this holiday; Borderlands, Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, Assasin's Creed 2, Tekken 6, Demon's Soul, Uncharted 2, Halo ODST.. need I even go on!  These are all AAA or AA games that have huge marketing campaigns behind them, there is absolutely NO competition.  On top of that Final Fantasy 13, Bioshock 2, and Mass Effect are just around the corner next year.  Yeah Nintendo has some games coming up, but going against this sheer volume of great games will be very hard.

What Nintendo needs to do is invest the massive amounts of money they have made by making lots of quality software not only to lure in more buyers but to keep current Wii owners happy, speaking as a Wii owner the only Wii game I have been happy with this past year is Pikmin... and that's a 9 year old port!.  This past year was beyond pathetic.  Nintendo also needs to make (or have someone else) at least a few games that have "bad asss" writen on them.... something like Gear, Borderlands, Bioshock.  Nintendo had games of this calibar on the N64 with 007, Perfect Dark, Doom, etc... why can't Wii?

Its no secret that Third Parties love the HD systems.  But that doesn't mean Nintendo should go throwing money at them to make games for the Wii.  That's what they did on the GC and we all saw how well that turned out.  And look how well they're doing this gen compared to their competitors with most of the Third Parties throwing them their lesser titles.  They essentially half half the profit share of the entire gaming industry.

If what you meant by 'invest lots of money' was Nintendo make their OWN games...I have no idea what you mean.  They have tons of excellent games this gen, both past and coming.  And they don't need to go the 'badass' route.  Once again, look how far that's gotten companies like MS and Sony.  No, selling to 'all ages' is always the more profitable way to go.  Look at Pixar, Apple, Coke, etc.  You name the brand, they have their own 'edgy, for teens' competitor that isn't doing as well as them.

chocoloco said:

Someone who whines when they're losing will always be a loser.  Someone who questions their past mistakes will keep from repeating them.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

@Kenryoku_Maxis: Stop being close minded. He never said Nintendo should go that way EXCLUSIVELY. He said Nintendo should be trying to cater to all audiences, rather than a select few, which this gen seem to be the new gamers, at least as of late. To make some game for the 17-35 males is not wrong in any sense, since those are the ones who buy the most games. And if they plan on making them, then they've got to advertise them as well as they did with their new games. Nintendo themselves said at the beginning of the gen they wanted to make games for everyone, and that hasn't been happening for a long while.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with giving incentives to developers who have big franchises that would never see the light on your otherwise. If they are able to attract new owners I don't see how is getting them to make them for your console wrong. Much like DQIX and MH3 this gen, Nintendo promised them advertisement in the West.

And I don't remember Nintendo moneyhatting third party devs in the GC era.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies