By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) - GT5P vs Forza 3 Tech analysis.

Cypher1980 said:
GT5P does look nice and probably edges the graphical battle.

However GT will not be able to match the physics models and sample rates used in Forza 3 given the nature of the Cell chip.

I guess you should go with what is more important to you. Eye Candy or Accurate Simulation.w

What?  Cell beats the 360's cpu at physics and lighting source calculation.  If each game pushes its console's capability, GT will pwn Forza in this respect.

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
^^Pretty sure it is, yes.

I guess kowenicki is a bloody liar

mM
selnor said:
Ok. I dont see it at all. But each to there own. FM3 is easily the better technical game. It has much more trackside detail and much better textures. GT5P has better lighitng ( which lends itself to look real ) but once you take your eyes off the cars, it's abundantly apparant it's missing alot. After playing Suzuka on both FM3 definately has the tech win fairly easily. It's apparant coming down the home straight for one. The horizon in FM3 is modelled with city etc ( as it is in real life ) whereas GT5P has nothing. The ferris wheel in FM3 is animated and working. It isn't in GT5P. Coming out of the s bends and up the hill. To the left through the wall theres nothing modelled in GT5P, just a white background. In FM3 theres caravans trees and a horizon. trees are 2d in GT5P. FM3's are fully modelled. The list can go on.

Again, it's a rendering engine review - that means resolution, frame rate, AA, lighting, particle effects, transparency handling, etc.  GT5:P is slightly suprior in all the main areas for rendering with the exception of motion blur and (perhaps) textures although personally I feel these are a draw in terms of detail overall.  GT5:P also renders more cars.

Forza 3 might have better physics, better backgrounds, etc. but those don't offset the pure rendering evaluation which is going to favour GT5:P because having 4xAA vs 2xAA for the same fps and resolution is simply superior, and having 2xAA at a higher resolution is a big difference in rendering evaluations, the resolution/AA factor alone would put GT5:P ahead in any rendering evaluation as it can clearly render essentially the same cars, track, etc. at a much higher resolution than Forza 3.

Look at it this way, Killzone 2 has the best rendering engine of any FPS I've played on PS3 or 360, but I don't think it's the best FPS, or has the best level design necessarily, or nicest textures, etc. compared to other FPS, but I don't let this cloud my view of its rendering engine capabilities.

Just because Forza 3 may have some better detail in surrounding world views, such as a city on the horizon, doesn't make much difference vs the huge resolution/AA difference, nor does a wheel detail, etc. - not when you're talking rendering capability.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

GT5 > GT5P > Forza 3 > Forza 2

GT5 will spank all racing games in Terms of Over all package

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Of course Eurogamer would pick GT5P. The GT series is the chosen game of Europe, period.

except that eurogamer gave Halo3 a 10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/halo-3-review

and believe me, it is far from what others european site have given to this good (but far from perfect) game ...

Thats cool bro, but the GT series is still the main console brand of Europe. America barely cares about it anymore and Japan doesn't pay much attention to it. It doesn't matter that they gave Halo 3 10/10. It is the definitive exclusive console shooter.

So you still think that Digital Foundry (not Eurogamer) choose GT5:P over Forza 3 because of the site they post their content on is Eurogamer?

Not because of the site. It is because Europe loves GT. I cannot blame them really. Every official game turns out to be the total package.

OK, so let's stop the shit about europe in general and let's give a rest to Halo3.

let's focus on eurogamer biais will you ?

GT3 : 10/10
GT4 : 8/10
GT5pro : 8/10

FM1 : 9/10
FM2 : 9/10
FM3 : 9/10

How do they prefer GT over FM ?
With a 92/100 on metacritic, their review looks pretty fair !!!

at your service

Time to Work !

Around the Network

@libellule, but don't you see.. eurogamer is biased and they are just trying to get hits on their site, just ask anyone on vgchartz

libellule said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Of course Eurogamer would pick GT5P. The GT series is the chosen game of Europe, period.

except that eurogamer gave Halo3 a 10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/halo-3-review

and believe me, it is far from what others european site have given to this good (but far from perfect) game ...

Thats cool bro, but the GT series is still the main console brand of Europe. America barely cares about it anymore and Japan doesn't pay much attention to it. It doesn't matter that they gave Halo 3 10/10. It is the definitive exclusive console shooter.

So you still think that Digital Foundry (not Eurogamer) choose GT5:P over Forza 3 because of the site they post their content on is Eurogamer?

Not because of the site. It is because Europe loves GT. I cannot blame them really. Every official game turns out to be the total package.

OK, so let's stop the shit about europe in general and let's give a rest to Halo3.

let's focus on eurogamer biais will you ?

GT3 : 10/10
GT4 : 8/10
GT5pro : 8/10

FM1 : 9/10
FM2 : 9/10
FM3 : 9/10

How do they prefer GT over FM ?
With a 92/100 on metacritic, their review looks pretty fair !!!

at your service

I wouldn't waste your breath.  I'm giving up on this thread.  The basic premise of the DF article is:

"GT5:P has overall the better rendering engine because, among other things, it can render the same track, details, etc. with more cars, better lighting, etc. at 1080p at 2xAA vs Forza 3 rendering at 720p at 2xAA."

Despite this clear, technical focus on rendering people are going "Europe loves GT", "Damange modelling", etc. etc. all of which are essentially irrelevant to the article as they pertain to other aspects of the game than graphical rendering.

I've given up on this thread a long while ago :P People will always go to lenghts to try to prove contradictory points, which is nothing wrong, yet doesn't add to what the article per se discusses.
I just wonder what is going to be the content of the threads that are going to be made once GT5 arrives if just GT5:P quickly lifts so many dust in VGChartz winds.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

If GT5 features a superior rendering engine to GT5:P and gets in decent damage modeling the forums are going to melt down and I shall take a weeks vacation to avoid it.

I don't want to speculate, since there is still much to be said about GT5, especially since the last private show that most specialized media attended to and which completely blew them away. I'll be here writting about GT5 when the time comes, because I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, yet I also fear that it will become a trash fest.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"