By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) - GT5P vs Forza 3 Tech analysis.

coolbeans said:
Those screens aren't helping Eurogamer's reasoning.

If you are speaking about the screens I posted, I heavily tweaked the photo settings to get them.  Focus, aperture, exposure, contrast, etc.  Plus the models are a lot more detailed in photo mode.  But I still enjoy taking them.

Around the Network

This is a bit off topic, but i've been mostly racing in Forza 3, it got me so hooked, especially in the last few seasons xD I have tons of pics which I will upload once I get a Gold subscription this month, so i'll post them up on the official thread.

OT - Why is making a comparison using only one parameter pointless? Most comparisons are actually done by that. You could make a physics comparison and Forza will win, a handling comparison and GT will win, a Graphics comparison and GT will win, a community comparison and Forza will win, and so on.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

PullusPardus said:
Europe is GT Biased,so im not surprised.

Oh and this statement is wrong aswell.

coolbeans said:
JaggedSac said:
coolbeans said:
Those screens aren't helping Eurogamer's reasoning.

If you are speaking about the screens I posted, I heavily tweaked the photo settings to get them.  Focus, aperture, exposure, contrast, etc.  Plus the models are a lot more detailed in photo mode.  But I still enjoy taking them.

No, talking about the one's MGS_4_Ever posted which probably came from the link.

Oh, well those pictures do show GT5:P being better.

Gone are the days where we could make up our minds about what game looked better, now we need an in depth tech analysis to tell us! This is the epitome of dopiness.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Europe is GT Biased,so im not surprised.

imho it's pretty obvious that GT5p has better lightning, better car modeling, it's running at a higher resolution and with 16 cars on track running at 60fps... so like i said imho GT5p and GT5 have a better technical aspect.

I'm Back! - Proud owner of the best doomed handheld of all time!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Reasonable said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
I was not talking about rendering Reasonable.

The entire article is.  If you're not talking about rendering then why are you commenting in this thread?  The OP, the article it points to and the whole discussion is about GT5:P rendering vs Forza 3 rendering - if you're not talking about that then you're essentially off-topic.

Your responses are starting to annoy me. I was responding to the quotes in the OP, which stated GTP5 was the classier game and both games had different technical priorities (Obviously GTP5 was their subjective choice). Forza 3 is more technical and innovative than GT5P. Polyphony focused more on graphics and modeling of the cars rather than physics and damage. That was another point I was responding to.

Actually, you clearly stated the site favoured GT5:P due to that title being more popular in Europe (which remains an incorrect and invalid point).  You also took the use of the word 'classier' in the text out of context - they clearly meant that GT5:P is a classier title with regard to rendering technology, you took it (again, incorrectly I'm afraid) to mean a subjective opinion of the look of the game.

There is nothing subjective in the article nor the point of the thread.  It is about rendering technology, not physics, handling or whatever.  The physics elements, etc. were mentioned in the article to fairly indicate that while GT5:P is superior from a rendering perspective it should be remembered that Forza has some different design goals - again, you seem to be taking the context wrong to me.

Therefore, to be blunt, what I am respond to was that you where defensivly reaching for a weak (Europe loves GT hence this is a biased opinion) arguement because you prefer 360 over PS3 and simply can't seem to accept that it is possible for an older PS3 title to have better rendering than a more recent 360 title.

Now I try and remain neutral in my comments, but none of your posts, so far as I can see, have been relative to the rendering aspects being considered, but have focused on somehow trying to argue around the conclusions of the article - and you have failed to accept clear points made both by myself and others that the comparison is about how Forza 3 has progressed from Forza 2 with respect to rendering capability and how it compares to GT5:P for rendering capability.

Now, in your last post, I sense a refusal to simply face facts and an attempt to stick to your guns and deflect the point.

The point of the article and the OP is that GT5:P is a superior rendering engine than Froza 3, although Forza 3 shows huge strides in rendering capabiliuty from Forza 2.  This isn't subjective.  It's based on rendering resolution, frames per second, blur effects, ability to handle transparencies and particle effects and ability to render objects.

Also, note the defensive tone of this:

Forza 3 is more technical and innovative than GT5P.

What is your evidence for this?  Is phyics more impressive than rendering, or vice versa?  On what are you basing this?  Do you know one is easier to code for and achieve than the other?

Personally, I'd say both titles are pretty impressive technically, for different reasons, and would hesitate to put one ahead of the other due to their differences, and  I'd also say neither is particularly innovative overall - Forza 3 adds better graphics and some tweaks over Forza 2 but the core game remains similar, while GT5:P is GT with the best rendering engine around but little else of great change.  I think their core mechanics were defined a while back in driving game terms, and neither is really suddenly adding a whole lot of new stuff that is truly innovative.  Flower is innovative, Portal is innovative, titles with 3 and 5 in them rarely are, although ideally they offer a great deal of refinement and polish.

Now, I've made my points before on this and won't be drawn into back and forth arguement that derails the thread and advise you to consider the same option.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

GT5P definitely has some of the best graphics but really its not leaps and bounds better than Forza3. What I though was impressive was the difference between Forza 2 and Forza 3.

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

gt5 prologue is better than forza X ROFLOL!

KIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA NOOB!

lestatdark said:
This is a bit off topic, but i've been mostly racing in Forza 3, it got me so hooked, especially in the last few seasons xD I have tons of pics which I will upload once I get a Gold subscription this month, so i'll post them up on the official thread.

OT - Why is making a comparison using only one parameter pointless? Most comparisons are actually done by that. You could make a physics comparison and Forza will win, a handling comparison and GT will win, a Graphics comparison and GT will win, a community comparison and Forza will win, and so on.

You have to pay a Gold subscription to post pictures???   

About comparisons about specific aspects, features, etc, I agree, they aren't by any means pointless, they simply have a limited and well defined scope.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!