By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry (Eurogamer) - GT5P vs Forza 3 Tech analysis.

Tyrannical said:
Forza 3 put priority into physics calculations. Because in a driving game, it is ultimately the driving that is most imprtant.

I'm not sure exactly how much power those calulations are using:

But it's still pretty impressive that GT5P looks better with twice as many cars on the track running at a higher resolution.

Around the Network

The article just says that GT will probably remains graphical-kings (due to extensive development time) while Forza 3 is king in physics and innovation....

It is only that and will probably remaining like that.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Based on what they said, GT5 looked "classier" - they said nothing of it being better technically. In fact, they were referring to "technical wins" for Forza.  Maybe there's more in the full article, but it didn't really make your point that "GT5 wins!"

@Steroid

That has never happened to me nor anything of the sort, yet any game has it's bugs and glitches, not only Forza.

@Sardauk

I love it when people leave a derogatory comment after a constatation when they just can't admit something. Was it really necessary the second part of your GT5 comment? No it wasn't, because GT5:P took two years to develop and they didn't even look into the development of GT5 per se after GT5:P. I won't even bother looking for PD statements and for the Vision GT trailer of E3 2005, because this question has been debated way too often, if you want look it up for youself here on VGChartz, they're on my GT posts.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Of course Eurogamer would pick GT5P. The GT series is the chosen game of Europe, period.

except that eurogamer gave Halo3 a 10/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/halo-3-review

and believe me, it is far from what others european site have given to this good (but far from perfect) game ...

Thats cool bro, but the GT series is still the main console brand of Europe. America barely cares about it anymore and Japan doesn't pay much attention to it. It doesn't matter that they gave Halo 3 10/10. It is the definitive exclusive console shooter.

So you still think that Digital Foundry (not Eurogamer) choose GT5:P over Forza 3 because of the site they post their content on is Eurogamer?

Not because of the site. It is because Europe loves GT. I cannot blame them really. Every official game turns out to be the total package.

Around the Network
newtgat said:

Based on what they said, GT5 looked "classier" - they said nothing of it being better technically. In fact, they were referring to "technical wins" for Forza.  Maybe there's more in the full article, but it didn't really make your point that "GT5 wins!"

Exactly, I believe that it is just personal taste. Style over substance.

@S.T.A.G.E

Then let me post you this following question.

An american maganize does a similar comparison between Halo and another FPS and brands Halo the best game in technical terms, by your opinion, it's because America loves Halo right?

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

lestatdark said:
@S.T.A.G.E

An american maganize does a similar comparison between Halo and another FPS and brands Halo the best game in technical terms, by your opinion, it's because America loves Halo right?

They said GT5P was classier despite Forzas technical advantages. That is subjective taste. America loves Halo because it is the definitive console shooter, and Europe loves GT because it is the definitive racing franchise. Both games are exclusives in their own right, and happen to be loved by by both contintents.

I see your point of view then ;) I wasn't arguing whether it was right or wrong, just wanted to see if you were being objective and logical, as there aren't many people in here who are.
You're right, both are exclusives in their own right and each has their strenghts.
I would never object against Halo being the definitive console FPS even though it's not my personal favourite, just in case someone mistook the meaning of my question before ;)

Current PC Build

S.T.A.G.E. said:
lestatdark said:
@S.T.A.G.E

They said GT5P was classier despite Forzas technical advantages. That is subjective taste. America loves Halo because it is the definitive console shooter, and Europe loves GT because it is the definitive racing franchise. Both games are exclusives in their own right, and happen to be loved by by both contintents.

They didn't position Forza as having technical advantages.  They pointed out that despite Forza 3's big leap from Forza 2, GT5:P remains the better game from a rendering perspective.  Did we read the same article?  In a couple of areas they thought Forza 3 was better from rendering perspective, but from most GT5:P is clearly ahead.

For example, quote:

The Polyphony game has clear advantages in terms of lighting (improved in Forza 3, but still some way off the sophistication in GT5P), and also in edge-aliasing reduction. It's the only racing game on either platform that we've played that employs 4x MSAA and hits 60FPS. That's in 720p mode. Switch to 1080p, and you get a 50 per cent resolution boost up to 1280x1080 (expanded outwards to full HD using bilinear scaling) but AA drops to 2x MSAA. That's a pretty good trade-off, to put it lightly, and that additional 50 per cent resolution via the 1080p support does make a difference. On top of that, GT also manages to process twice the number of cars as Forza, but the grid runs with a rolling start in order to space out the vehicles. Polyphony doesn't skimp on its transparencies either. Hit the sand at speed, and the screen quickly fills with a very impressive dust cloud.

End quote.

This has nothing to do with Europe, this has everything to do with the GT5:P rendering engine supporting 1080p and 2x MSAA with better lighting and more cars - something the Forza 3 engine can't match from a pure rendering perspective.  The only areas I read Forza 3 having an advantage on was slightly better motion blur and the fact its v-sync locked (albeit at a lower fps and resolution).

Therefore, quote:

Despite these technical wins for Turn 10, GT5P emerges as the classier-looking game, the standard bearer in terms of graphical accomplishment - not just up against Forza, but compared to every console driving game

End quote.

Can't you just accept technically GT5:P has overall a better rendering engine and that Forza 3 has better damage and physics?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...