By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I the only one disappointed in Uncharted 2's 800k?

alot of alt accounts got banned in this thread lmao....
no its not dissapointing since Uncharted 2 wasn't overhyped like crazy unlike Forza 3
or Halo ODST but it still sold well.....................
Say whatever you want but its GOTY on the PS3 for me.............

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network

If those games sold 10 times as much as they did thered still be people saying "sales didn't meet expectations"

"dissapointing sales"

you cant listen to those people.

KZ2 exceeded the average of first week expectations and that includes the delusional ones. The legs aren't as good as many expected but if a game is 300% (Made up number) LT of it's first week and many expected 690k (Not made up) then most would have expected just over 2 million... Well, the first week was 760k... Even though the legs aren't up to par with most games the outcome of LT sales are the same. Different formula same results.

If you were to say something like... "After initial sales figures were made public then the game didn't hold up as well as most expected" I'd agree with you. But the game will end up damn close to most peoples original expecations.

indodude said:
I read through the entire thread... WOO!

I just bas my opinions on the original post or quote someone on what I think... and I think your head hurts reading all of this...

I'm sure someone has said this already but that only counted 2 days of Others sales. It will be past a million now.

LOL... I'd like to see where you get your information... I get mine from these forums and I've seen a member dissect the KZ2 prediction thread. Forgot who it was but I remember why they did it. Starcraft made one of his infamous "KZ2 didn't meet expectations" and his reasoning was because he equated hype to sales and someone just annihilated his theory that even though it was massively hyped most expected it to do the numbers it did.

The average first week sales for KZ2 was 690k. It exceeded that according to you... so how does it not meet expectations?

The only reason I can think of you saying such a thing is you taking the crazy members expectations to represent the whole Ps3 community. But those crazy people are a very small % of them (But granted the most vocal). If they were the majority then there would be no way that the average first week sales would have been 690k. It would have been over a million. Obviously, the majority of Ps3 fans expected less than those delusional people and weighed down the average...

Around the Network

One good thing that came of this thread: It's drawing all the trolls out so they can be banned

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

madkiller said:
No way in hell does this game get Game of the Year over MW2...

On topic: I think it is pretty sad that most of the PS3 fanboys seemed happy with 800k for the biggest exclusive PS3 game of the year when the Xbox 360 big exclusives all sell 1.5m-4m. Hell, ODST almost tripled it in first week sales and it got a lot of bad hype for being $60 for being an expansion, while Uncharted 2 got nothing but the biggest good hype we have seen this year...

Wow it takes a 360 fanboy to show the irony of dying quality gaming.

MW and probably 2 are fun games but they killed innovative gaming camping isnt game of the year niether is par ish graphics with a lot of guns GOTY

The previous Soccoms all did that none of them one GOTY

U2 is unique.

GT has a lot of cars but it also has amazing graphics and a lot of variety

Silly fanboys brains are for those who can responsibly use them

"Rainbird: Why don't Nintendo and Microsoft Copy the Sony Blog?

Bagenome:You can't shoot things on a blog, and babies can't read, so I don't think it would suit either one's target audience."

d21lewis said:
Honestly, do JRPG makers even realize how hard it is to save the world? That shit is impossible!

So basically when JACK TRETTON said "a Playstation dominance in the games industry, is better for everyone" he was right!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

ioi said:

@letsdance

I'm not arguing with you on this - I'm telling you that LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2, Heavenly Sword, Lair etc etc did not live up to expectations in terms of SALES. Some didn't review that well either but even those that did could not put up huge sales.

Look at the (incomplete) list of PS2 sales on this site - you have to go a long way down to get to 2.5 - 3 million - those aren't particularly impressive sales, especially when you are talking about the kind of budgets that these games have. A big, well-budgeted, well-marketed, well-reviewed exclusive should be hitting 4-5m really.

And 360 is just as guilty as I've been saying (and Wii too - we all know about Conduit, Madworld etc). A lot of games this gen just haven't sold anywhere near as well as they should have or how people expected them to - Bioshock, Mass Effect and many others fit into that same category. As someone else said above, this gen seems to have far more seperation between the "superhits" (Halo, GTA, WiiFit, Mario Kart, COD etc) and everything else - there just aren't that many games hitting 4-8m for some reason.

I'm not attacking PS3, just commenting on trends we are seeing this gen. Whether you want to agree or not, those games I have listed have failed to meet expectations. Uncharted 2 could have done 1.5m week one (more on the level of MGS4) and could have hit 4-5m in total but that's not going to happen, which is suprising and disappointing given the hype and review scores the game has been given. That's all I'm saying...

If you look at the PS2, not that many games actually broke 5 million. You had GTA, GT, Final Fantasy, some of the NFS games, and a couple of others. NFS, GT and FF were all massive franchises at the time, and GTA had really struck a chord amongst more casual gamers. As you move down the best sellers list, you see sports games, and some less popular, but still famous franchises, such as Metal Gear Solid. It's when you approach the 3-3.5 million range that you see a lot of games.

Looking at this gen, it's the games with casual appeal that really sell: GTA, CoD, Wii Fit, Halo. The PS2's main games of this type were GTA, Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo (and Need for Speed, but that's a dead franchise now). GTA is multiplat but still sold extremely well, Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo have yet to release.

The reason games flop relative to expectations is because expectations are too high, pure and simple. If people realised that most games popular on the internet are only going to manage 2-3 million sales, we wouldn't see that so much.

I won't pretend I'm above this. I was sure KZ2 could cross 4 million, and I thought LBP could see 5 million. But I like to think I'm more level-headed now. I expect 3.5-4 million for Uncharted 2, and it should be able to manage those sales.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ioi said:
My point is that Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Bioshock, Uncharted had/has the potential to be the GTA, Halo or Final Fantasy or even Crash Bandicoot, Rachet&Clank, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or whatever of this gen but it hasn't happened. Games aren't hitting that 5m milestone.

The only new IP that has really been a breakout hit this gen IMO is Gears of War - all others have disappointed commercially.

What about Assassin's Creed?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!