By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Am I the only one disappointed in Uncharted 2's 800k?

...I understand that, but I assume since you run the site you also wouldn't have as much time to read through the forums. You would be much busier than someone like me.

"But in all fairness, with the exception of MGS IV which definitely exceeded expectations, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Motorstorm 2 have all performed below the expectations of fans"

You first said of the fans. Now you are switching to the industry. Okay, that's cool. I can accept that. But I've been commenting on your original statement which was about it's fans expectations. Which I think KZ2 and LBP met.

But I don't know. I still think I'd have a pretty good arguement with LBP about industry expectations. Maybe not KZ2 anymore.

Around the Network
ioi said:

My point is that Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Bioshock, Uncharted had/has the potential to be the GTA, Halo or Final Fantasy or even Crash Bandicoot, Rachet&Clank, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or whatever of this gen but it hasn't happened. Games aren't hitting that 5m milestone.

The only new IP that has really been a breakout hit this gen IMO is Gears of War - all others have disappointed commercially.

GTA and Halo are massive franchises. These are extremely rare. A game needs a lot of appeal, a lot of marketing, and a lot of quality to sell like that.

Then comes Final Fantasy. It's old. In the time since the original has been made, it's picked up fans. It has a fanbase, who will loyally buy every Final Fantasy game.

Crash Bandicoot was potentially a GTA/Halo level franchise. But alas, Naughty Dog stopped making it, Vivendi got it, and they ran it into the ground.

Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil have never really been huge sellers. They all sold in the 3 million range at their peak. They are all popular on the internet, but those are the sorts of sales that games like LBP, Killzone, BioShock and Mass Effect are going to get. Uncharted could be quite a bit larger.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't realise Tomb Raider and RE were so successful: Both sold around 5 million in the PS1 days. But then, more franchises were created, which were superior in quality, and the games got forgotten. RE is still going strong, to a certain extent, but Tomb Raider is dying as fast as Need for Speed.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ioi said:

My point is that Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Bioshock, Uncharted had/has the potential to be the GTA, Halo or Final Fantasy or even Crash Bandicoot, Rachet&Clank, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil or whatever of this gen but it hasn't happened. Games aren't hitting that 5m milestone.

The only new IP that has really been a breakout hit this gen IMO is Gears of War - all others have disappointed commercially.

Assassins Creed too, its the biggest selling new IP this gen

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Kantor said:
ioi said:

GTA and Halo are massive franchises. These are extremely rare. A game needs a lot of appeal, a lot of marketing, and a lot of quality to sell like that.

Then comes Final Fantasy. It's old. In the time since the original has been made, it's picked up fans. It has a fanbase, who will loyally buy every Final Fantasy game.

Crash Bandicoot was potentially a GTA/Halo level franchise. But alas, Naughty Dog stopped making it, Vivendi got it, and they ran it into the ground.

Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Raider and Resident Evil have never really been huge sellers. They all sold in the 3 million range at their peak. They are all popular on the internet, but those are the sorts of sales that games like LBP, Killzone, BioShock and Mass Effect are going to get. Uncharted could be quite a bit larger.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't realise Tomb Raider and RE were so successful: Both sold around 5 million in the PS1 days. But then, more franchises were created, which were superior in quality, and the games got forgotten. RE is still going strong, to a certain extent, but Tomb Raider is dying as fast as Need for Speed.

RE5 may be the best selling RE ever actually now

Tomb Raider, NFS, Crash Bandicoot & Tekken are the 3 franchises that have fallen from "sales grace"

darthdevidem01 said:
ioi said:

Assassins Creed too, its the biggest selling new IP this gen

Assassin's Creed, once again, had huge amounts of casual appeal. You run through a city, leap from rooftop to rooftop, and sink your blade into your enemy's back, before fighting off the guards and fleeing. Doesn't that sound good? It ended up being irrelevant that the game was repetitive, overly simple, and had a story that wasn't explored nearly enough. That stuff will hurt the sales of the sequel, and prevent it from becoming a large franchise.

If Assassin's Creed was the excellent game many thought it would be, we would have another GTA/GT/Halo/CoD on our hands. CoD is a particularly good example because one excellent game turned it from a "whatever" on consoles to the second best selling HD game, and Modern Warfare 2 will have certainly one of the top five launches in gaming history (well, the ones we have data for).

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Kowenicki... Brett's going by industry expectations though... According to fans, reviewers, and ND Uncharted 2 already surpassed expectations. Your claim = bullshit confirmed?

kowenicki said:
I do think 800k is a little disappointing.. and I think the lifetime sales will be even more disappointing.

I agree with Brett..... this gen (and particularly from the PS3) sales of most of the big games have been average at best.

But then games cost more now.

But as I asked somewhere earlier, if 800k+ is dissapointing then why did you only predict it to sell less than half of that(390k)? What you say makes no sense compared to what you do.

Yeah kowenicki, I'm wondering about that too

when it doubled your expectations, why is it Disappointing?

So Nintendo fans = bullshit for saying NMH and Madworld did good confirmed? I mean... they wouldn't say anything other than they are happy with sales... would they?

letsdance said:
So Nintendo fans = bullshit for saying NMH and Madworld did good confirmed? I mean... they wouldn't say anything other than they are happy with sales... would they?

Dont know... those games were never intended for me... maybe some other ninty fan will answer.