By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hmm PS3 has sold 4 million more then 360 had last year.

darthdevidem01 said:
Ps3 is a success compared to the PSP!

They are different product classes, also using what measurement? If we use profit that statment is wrong, if you marketshare lose or gain, that statement is wrong.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
Carl2291 said:
Acevil said:
Carl2291 said:
Dark Chaos said:
RVDondaPC said:
Dark Chaos said:
Acevil said:

Congratulation Sony for beating your competition by 4 million using this method, you only lost 30-40% marketshare in the process, almost ruined your image and help introduce a couple of the worse PR statements I have ever heard. All in all I am impressed.

Anyyways enough pointing out the obvious, back to playing Uncharted 2.

Hit it right in the head. But congrats SONY. After beating MS by 100,000,000 consoles your beating MS by 4,000,000 on a aligned launch and not to mention not earning a single penny with the PS3. But hey its time to PARTY!!!

Just wait till next gen when Google has gobbled up all of MS's other revenue streams so MS can't afford to subsidize the XBOX brand's loses anymore and they release their inferior product at a higher price and lose all of their marketshare back to the Playstation. 

Okie. So atleast you admit the PS3 has been a failure when compared to the PS2.

If we are talking home consoles... Everything but the Wii is a failure when compared to the PS2.

Actually when comparing makre share lose or gain, you compare by family. So nintendo gamecube to nintendo wii, microsoft xbox to the 360, gameboy to gameboy advance, so on and so on. Microsoft and Nintendo both have gained in marketshare, while sony has lost marketshare. Also market share is on the mind of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. They also determine success for the brand by profit, image and other variables. In the end it is all about profit, more than anything.

I was talking about sales-wise, but i see your point.

Although i disagree, because by that logic PS3 would need to hit 70%(or whatever it was) marketshare... To be condiered a success?

I was never saying it is sucessful or a failure (too early), I am pointing out to the op, that other variables must be used. Like marketshare, environment and profit.

I consider a product sucessful if it makes profit overall (which the ps3 has not done and might not be able to). I consider it very sucessful when it does everything, like gain marketshare, gain profit, improve image, and other things.

Fair enough.

Steroid said:

Looking at VGchartz, 360 had 21.5 million units sold this time last year (it's 3rd year on the market) and PS3 has 25.5 currently (its third year on the market). So considering this data I would say that the PS3 outselling the 360 isn't just "possible" but likely.

3 years +/-4 millions.

so 2012 diference is 4 and 2015 playstation wins.

Not counting the diference was 5 when xbox launched and now 7'5.

Maybe it's the fact that Sony was once on top of the mountain in this industry, and the fall from grace has been swift and brutal. The worst thing about being on top is the fall to the bottom, and maybe the transition from PS2 dominance to PS3 heel-dragging has had a damaging effect on the fanboy psyche, leaving them vulnerable and insecure. Maybe fanboys are suffering from a severe case of paranoid delusion, brought about by denial that the PS3 is in third place when once Sony was leading the charge.

-- Jim Sterling

Garnett said:

@Carl

i meant the Wii isnt a success compared to the gamecube, my bad.

But yeah the PS3 isnt doign what its older/less powerful brother did, even with Blue Ray, HDD and Free online play. Oh and the best console graphics.

The PS2 didn't launch at the mahoosive price or have the record breaking Wii to compete with.

On an up-note, PS3 is the 3rd fastest selling console of all time. For now.

@Carl

Yeah but it did have the Xbox 1, more of a cmptor than the Wii is to the PS3.

PS3 is suppolsy the most powerful console, it has blue ray, HD built in, Wifi out of the box and the best graphics on any console. While the 360 and Wii are not even Half of that.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Ps3 is a success compared to the PSP!

They are different product classes, also using what measurement? If we use profit that statment is wrong, if you marketshare lose or gain, that statement is wrong.

Its a joke jeez

I wouldn';t insult the PS3 so much by comparing it to the PSP!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Garnett said:

@Carl

Yeah but it did have the Xbox 1, more of a cmptor than the Wii is to the PS3.

PS3 is suppolsy the most powerful console, it has blue ray, HD built in, Wifi out of the box and the best graphics on any console. While the 360 and Wii are not even Half of that.

Wii60 are much cheaper in a recession... With MUCH better marketting up until now.

All those features don't mean anything to the consumer unless you market them well. It's a surprise the PS3 has done so well right now with what it's had against it. (terrible press, way too expensive, much cheaper competitors) etc.

If it wasnt for the PlayStation brand name, PS3 would have been "dead" a long time ago.

But it's late now... And i need sleep. So cya!

@Carl

The 360 is barely cheaper, $200 vs $300 with all the features you gotta pay for 360 are FREE.

I agree PS3 is doing very well.

I say definately, but I'm talking years down the road. Maybe like 2012 or 2013.

I'll do a signature later

Yeah, PS3 won.
It is ahead of last year x360 LTD sales.

But if this thread was about - PS3 likely to outsell x360 LTD sales in same year, then yes.
This will happen probably by the end of 2010.

Simple math,
PS3 need to outsell x360 this and next Christmas season by 2 mln. with total 4 mln.+,
and for the rest of year outsell x360 by 70k per week.
With help of Gran Turismo 5, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, AGENT i see this possible.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 19th Oct 2008 to 03rd Jan 2009:

Console PS3 X360
Total
America
Japan
Total Others