By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

Yawn. More developers blaming the poor sales of their "test" Wii title on consumers, rather than where that blame truly lies: Themselves.

If you have a good product that consumers want to buy, you advertise it well, and you price it according to what people will pay, then it will generally sell well. Visceral Games obviously missed the mark on at least one of these aspects (most likely more than one), or else their product would have sold. Simple as that.

Regardless, consumers are never to blame if your product doesn't sell. If Visceral really want to make a Wii game that sells, then they'll do things differently next time.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:
Quality does not sell very well on the wii

Actually Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB, Zelda, World of Goo, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Resident Evil, Tiger woods, and Metroid Prime begs to differ.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

LordTheNightKnight said:
saicho said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
maykissthebride said:
What a wuss....

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  If you can't take the heat, get out of the Wii kitchen and stop whining.  And don't act like an on-rails shooter is your big "hardcore market experiment," 'cuz I haven't seen any on-rails shooters on any other consoles recently.

But I do appreciate the Wii becoming the king of arcade games, with the most on-rails shooters and snowboarding games.  There is a good market for that, but when it's 50 cents or $1 at an arcade, these games need budget prices and better marketing.  Something like the marketing of the 80's, like "BRINGING THE FUN OF THE ARCADE INTO YOUR VERY LIVING ROOM!" with zombies exploding everywhere, and some kids giving their parents a high five while they play together.

that's what I was thinking too. When was the last time a on rail shooter released on PS360?

I think the latest Time Crisis game. Whatever was released with the GunCon 3.

Time Crisis 4 was the last one and it was PS3 exclusive. It was hampered by a very high price but it sold ~600k. That's excellent for an arcade port and you needed to spend $90 to play it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Sorry not interested in on-rail shooter games.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

outlawauron said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
saicho said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
maykissthebride said:
What a wuss....

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  If you can't take the heat, get out of the Wii kitchen and stop whining.  And don't act like an on-rails shooter is your big "hardcore market experiment," 'cuz I haven't seen any on-rails shooters on any other consoles recently.

But I do appreciate the Wii becoming the king of arcade games, with the most on-rails shooters and snowboarding games.  There is a good market for that, but when it's 50 cents or $1 at an arcade, these games need budget prices and better marketing.  Something like the marketing of the 80's, like "BRINGING THE FUN OF THE ARCADE INTO YOUR VERY LIVING ROOM!" with zombies exploding everywhere, and some kids giving their parents a high five while they play together.

that's what I was thinking too. When was the last time a on rail shooter released on PS360?

I think the latest Time Crisis game. Whatever was released with the GunCon 3.

Time Crisis 4 was the last one and it was PS3 exclusive. It was hampered by a very high price but it sold ~600k. That's excellent for an arcade port and you needed to spend $90 to play it.

Which shows this isn't a Wii only thing. Yes, the Wiimote being standard makes it easier, but developers shouldn't think that precludes other genres on the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Ari_Gold said:

"Quality" is a very sujective notion... plus, there are many records, many books, many movies that may be considered "quality"... but EVEN if like me, you like many types of music and listened to thousands and thousands of records, it doesn't mean you're gonna buy ALL the quality records out there... you just don't have enough time (and money) to discover and enjoy them with one life only...

So, everyone has different tastes, and everyone has a limited time, and everyone has a limited budget: games cost a lot of money, and there are way too many games released each year... so ALL quality games won't sell millions, just like ALL quality recordings won't sell millions, etc, etc...

And to get back on the "quality" on Wii: most 1st party games are AAA quality, so the light trolling here don't do justice to the Wii crowd... if 3rd parties efforts were usually better, many people would trust their names the same way they trust Nintendo's name: great quality, and incredible value for the price you've paid...

In this case: an on-rail shooter with what? 5-8 hours of gameplay? No online? Decent graphics, decent story, great atmosphere... in the end, good but not incredible reviews, for a franchise not really famous, and not even that succesfull yet, even on an HD console with way more sci-fi and shooters fans? And all that for a full 50 euros/dollars price? And it's supposed to sell like madness? C'mon, EA, give me a break...

I want to support the games i really like, but game makers can't force me to buy their games, even if they are "quality"...

And even if 80% of Wii owners are supposed to be "casuals", not interested in "hardcore" games, there's still a 20% userbase, which means 10-11 millions of people (and that's still very low when compared to the Cube userbase), who ARE avid gamers, who KNOW what's a "quality" game, and who COULD be potential buyers...

But we just can't buy ALL the games on Wii, ALL the games on DS, ALL the games on X360, ALL the games on PS3, ALL the games on PSP, ALL the games on Wiiware, ALL the games on Live, ALL the games on iPod... and i don't even mention ALL the records, ALL the mangas, ALL the movies, etc, etc, etc, you get the idea... but you just can't blame Wii itself for that situation...

"A beautiful drawing in 480i will stay beautiful forever...

and an ugly drawing in 1080p will stay ugly forever..."

Maybe if EA wasn't stupid enough to have made Extraction a hybrid full Dead Space experience / on rails shooter in order to appeal to the casuals, the game wouldn't have lost focus. Who's it aiming at? Previous DS players? Nope. Casuals? Nope.

And we passed the goddamn test several times already, EA, thank you very much. Monster Hunter 3 and Resident Evil 4 are still incontrovertible evidence to that.

routsounmanman said:
Maybe if EA wasn't stupid enough to have made Extraction a hybrid full Dead Space experience / on rails shooter in order to appeal to the casuals, the game wouldn't have lost focus. Who's it aiming at? Previous DS players? Nope. Casuals? Nope.

And we passed the goddamn test several times already, EA, thank you very much. Monster Hunter 3 and Resident Evil 4 are still incontrovertible evidence to that.

Squate Enix even knows this, which is why Dragon Quest X is being developed for it (perhaps right now since IX is out).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I hate this Game. I want a real Dead Space game for Wii, not a stupid On-Rail Shooter with "Dead Space" on the title. Make this sh** for Natal.

68soul said:
Ari_Gold said:

"Quality" is a very sujective notion... plus, there are many records, many books, many movies that may be considered "quality"... but EVEN if like me, you like many types of music and listened to thousands and thousands of records, it doesn't mean you're gonna buy ALL the quality records out there... you just don't have enough time (and money) to discover and enjoy them with one life only...

So, everyone has different tastes, and everyone has a limited time, and everyone has a limited budget: games cost a lot of money, and there are way too many games released each year... so ALL quality games won't sell millions, just like ALL quality recordings won't sell millions, etc, etc...

And to get back on the "quality" on Wii: most 1st party games are AAA quality, so the light trolling here don't do justice to the Wii crowd... if 3rd parties efforts were usually better, many people would trust their names the same way they trust Nintendo's name: great quality, and incredible value for the price you've paid...

In this case: an on-rail shooter with what? 5-8 hours of gameplay? No online? Decent graphics, decent story, great atmosphere... in the end, good but not incredible reviews, for a franchise not really famous, and not even that succesfull yet, even on an HD console with way more sci-fi and shooters fans? And all that for a full 50 euros/dollars price? And it's supposed to sell like madness? C'mon, EA, give me a break...

I want to support the games i really like, but game makers can't force me to buy their games, even if they are "quality"...

And even if 80% of Wii owners are supposed to be "casuals", not interested in "hardcore" games, there's still a 20% userbase, which means 10-11 millions of people (and that's still very low when compared to the Cube userbase), who ARE avid gamers, who KNOW what's a "quality" game, and who COULD be potential buyers...

But we just can't buy ALL the games on Wii, ALL the games on DS, ALL the games on X360, ALL the games on PS3, ALL the games on PSP, ALL the games on Wiiware, ALL the games on Live, ALL the games on iPod... and i don't even mention ALL the records, ALL the mangas, ALL the movies, etc, etc, etc, you get the idea... but you just can't blame Wii itself for that situation...

Not entirely. A good game is a still a good game whether you or I like it.

Whether you enjoy or have fun with the game is what's completely subjective.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.