By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

Well i expected this game to get low sales it's really no surprise to me.

Gintama is the funniest show EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proud owner of all currnet gen consoles.

I not a big wii fan

Okita the sadist.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
It's simply unreasonable to expect a third-party game to do well on Wii JUST because it recieved high-review scores.

Didn't work for Zak and Wiki

Didn't work for Mad World

Didn't work for NMH

Just face it, most game buyers (and yes, I mean the people who actually go buy games) don't read reviews.

Fixed, because this applies to all systems. Sure the best selling HD games often get high reviews, but not always, and those reviews often come more from pleasing critics (or some other less ethical methods).

People didn't buy GTA IV because of the reveiws. They bought it because it was another 3D world GTA game.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

What a wuss....

I'll be honest.... it's an on-rails shooter. I'll go put in a quarter or two at the local arcade for those, but I'm looking for something more when it comes to gaming.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
I'll be honest.... it's an on-rails shooter. I'll go put in a quarter or two at the local arcade for those, but I'm looking for something more when it comes to gaming.

It's not an arcade shooter. It's more similar to Fahrenheit than to House of the Dead really.

Around the Network

i think that this game, and all the other core wii games from 2009 (madworld, overkill, conduit, metroid, dead space etc), are all just too late in the wii's life.

i think the core gamers who bought this type of game on the wii years ago, giving the 1.5 millions we see on re4 and cod: waw are now long gone to their ps3's and 360's, and there hasnt really been that blockbuster to tempt them off buying the latest release from the other consoles.

that and they likely traded in their wiis to get cash off a 360 :)

if the 2009/2010 schedule were all moved forward by a year becoming the 2008 and 2009 schedule, i think they would have sold more and more would have kept faith with wii core games, but the (relatively) barren years of 2008/Q1 2009 in terms of quantity of core games i think was a killer for the genre on the wii :(

Developers left it too late for these experiments and projects to work - they waited too long and their target audience was no longer there.

sad though. i preordered this and by a fair stretch it was my favourite gaming experience of this generation.

a truly magnificent title i thank EA for.

Muramasa: the Demon Blade

Chrizum said:
vlad321 said:

It's not an arcade shooter. It's more similar to Fahrenheit than to House of the Dead really.

That actually might be a point against it. It slows the pace more than reasable for this kind of genre. And not skipping cut scenes is just a bad move.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Another 3rd party game flounders on the Wii, looks decent too (even though it's on rails).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

vlad321 said:

EDIT: Having said that, EA can expect a bit of a boost in sales during the holidays and it could end up selling profitable numbers.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

A lot of developers don't realize (or can't comprehend) that the game demographics for the Wii are different than what they have been in previous generations.  EDIT -- Add in sales patterns (less front loading).

That does not mean you cannot sell a "core" game on the Wii -- but it means you have to sell it ... it does not sell itself. So when you don't put the extra effort behind it, you end up with less than desired results.

So much for the test.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV