By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

11ht11 said:
Paul said:
How many on the rail shooters can one system take? It's just ridiculous how many of these have been pumped out now. I bought both overkill and umbrella chronicles and will not drop another $60 on a game I get 10 hours of playtime out of. I spent $60 on COD:WAW and have played that for over 200 hours.

Third parties have never put a serious effort into the wii so they shouldn't bitch when the 10th on rail shooter for the system fails.

i disagree with that, some have and that certain game didnt end up selling

Name me a third party wii game and I'll come up with 5 games that developer put more effort into on the other systems.

Around the Network
11ht11 said:
Paul said:
How many on the rail shooters can one system take? It's just ridiculous how many of these have been pumped out now. I bought both overkill and umbrella chronicles and will not drop another $60 on a game I get 10 hours of playtime out of. I spent $60 on COD:WAW and have played that for over 200 hours.

Third parties have never put a serious effort into the wii so they shouldn't bitch when the 10th on rail shooter for the system fails.

In the case of Dead Space: Extraction, I think Visceral and Eurocom put a lot of effort into making this game.  But there's no denying that Wii was an after thought in EA plans and this game was only released because they HD game didn't do the numbers they would've liked it to.  Instead of making a true, RE4 style TPS, we get another light gun game...

If EA is gonna treat the Wii like a bastard, step-child... they should expect the cold shoulder when it comes to folks coming out of their pockets at Gamestop...

Dead Space Extractions sells 9k in September

EA's on-rails shooter Dead Space Extraction sold 9,000 copies in the US between its release on September 29 and the end of the NPD’s monthly reporting period on October 3, the market research firm has told us.

Developed by Visceral Games, the Wii exclusive title is a prequel to survival horror Dead Space, which launched in October 2008 for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC to critical acclaim and had sold around 1.4 million units as of May this year.

While Extraction hasn’t enjoyed a strong start, EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told us that the title’s early sell through wouldn't come as a surprise to publisher EA.

Electronic Arts didn’t market Dead Space Extraction as much as it does with other titles. And the success or failure of a Wii title usually correlates directly to marketing spend. If Electronic Arts spent little on marketing, I am sure the sell through was no surprise to them. So I do not believe sell through was a disappointment to EA.”

We contacted EA to for comment on the game’s opening week performance, and to find out how the game has been performing at retail during October, but received no response.

We contacted EA to for comment on the game’s opening week performance, and to find out how the game has been performing at retail during October, but received no response. “Given Wii games tend to have a flatter sales curve, I don’t think 20,000 plus units is out of the question for October and maybe we get a holiday bump in November and December,” Divnich suggested. EA said previously that the performance of Extraction would influence the company's decision to create mature-content games for Wii in the future, and Divnich implied that the publisher’s decision not to heavily market the title may have been based on the poor performance of other mature-rated Wii games released while Extraction was still in development. “Most games have a 12 to 24 month development schedule and over a year ago the industry was under the assumption that mature-rated games could succeed on the Wii. Unfortunately, as we progressed and witnessed the sales results from games such as MadWorld, it became pretty clear the market size for games with mature-content was extremely small, much smaller than any other home platform. The truth is most core gamers who gravitate towards mature content likely own more than just a Wii.” http://www.edge-online.com/news/npd-dead-space-extraction-sells-9000-in-september ---------------------------- So EA decided not to market it because MadWorld didn't do "well"? That makes no sense.

outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ail said:
WereKitten said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ail said:
KylieDog said:
routsounmanman said:
or when Resident Evil 4 became the most profitable PORT EVER.

Where the evidence of this?  RE4 PS2 port sold 3 million and released at full price.  RE4 Wii port has barely sold half of that and released at a budget price, thus making less money per copy sold.

You know, I think KylieDog just owned you....

Like he said, Re4 PS2 was a port and sold a lot more and was even GoTY for a few outlets the year it released...

And took nearly a year to downgrade to run on the PS2 hardware most of the graphics were drastically changed, the Wii port was the exact same assets as the Gamecube game (lighting, textures, etc) and only added in the extra content from the PS2 game and a IR pointer on screen, neither of which are developer intensive as going in and changing the models, cut scenes, the whole real time lighting structure, textures, so on and so forth, it very well could have cost Capcom more to change an entire game to run on the PS2 >_>

Still, 3M copies giving on average ~$15 each amounts to ~$45M for the publisher.

The cost of a game on the PS2 from the ground up was in the $6-10M range, and I'm sure we can agree that the porting must have cost way less than that maximum. Thus we're talking of $37-42M profit here. Let's say it's  around $40M.

The Wii port sold 1.6M, at budget price. Thus something like 1.6M x ~$12 = ~$19.2M. Even considering a very minimal cost for the porting (~$1M), we're still talking of barely half the profit of the PS2 port.

even if the Wii port was totally free, Re4 PS2 made more money...

Yes because every copy of RE4 PS2 was sold at full price <_< it couldn't be that part of those were the greatest hits and the Resident Evil essentals collection?  I don't know the budgets of either but to make it an open and shut case like everyone is making it is just stupid.

Let's also consider the fact that Re4 on PS2 is still outselling the Wii version on the weekly charts.

EDIT: Not quite, but it's still very close.

Yep and its probably from GameStop selling the game either in the collection or single for 8.99 :P Capcom is making a killing ;)

It's $13 for Ps2 and $20 for Wii on Amazon. Yes, it's a difference but the Ps2 version has been out for two more years.

You do realize sites like amazon only make a small fraction of game sales right?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

big_boss said:
I want to know what third party developers have to do to get Wii owners to buy there games? EA gives Wii owners a exclusive title that scores really well and nobody buys it because its a on the rails shooter. Hell Activision is given Wii owners CoD4 ( One of the best FPS of all time ) and some of you bitched about it being too late and the graphics looking bad. Capcom, EA, Activision are trying to reach the "other" Wii crowd by making good games and very few are buying them.

Do you honestly think that these companies are going to keep throwing Wii owners a bone with sales like this? You know maybe if they throw Mario in as a playable character or gave you Links crossbow to use more people would have bought it. It worked for Sega and Sonic.

Genre matters.  A lot.  Just because I want a FPS or a TPS does not mean I will settle for a rail shooter.

As for games being late, do you remember what happened to Bioshock?  It released a year late on the PS3 and sold like crap compared to the 360 version.  CoD 4 is coming two years late to the Wii.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

Hopefully they revamp it to work on the 360 and PS3. The first was a great game and it still is being slowly discovered by people. I know they won't make it a on-rail shooter, but that's kinda the point. On-rail shooters are not really that popular.

Kasz216 said:

I've actually heard from people that it's buggy as hell. For example it will cut away when monsters are still there and they will kill you with you being unable to shoot them.

With two RE rail shooters and 2 HOTD rail shooters... why should anyone care about a glitched game.

I'm surprised it is getting good reviews.  I've heard the same about the monsters, and I've also heard that several of the weapons are waaaaay too strong.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Sorry I don't care how good this game is..... it's a rail shooter, not worth my $50. If it was a real TPS game I would of bought it day one guaranteed.

Paul said:
11ht11 said:
Paul said:

Name me a third party wii game and I'll come up with 5 games that developer put more effort into on the other systems.

You wrote "never", not "only 1/5 as many". Did you even pay attention to what you wrote?

theRepublic said:
Kasz216 said:

I've actually heard from people that it's buggy as hell. For example it will cut away when monsters are still there and they will kill you with you being unable to shoot them.

With two RE rail shooters and 2 HOTD rail shooters... why should anyone care about a glitched game.

I'm surprised it is getting good reviews.  I've heard the same about the monsters, and I've also heard that several of the weapons are waaaaay too strong.

I'm wondering if actual gameplay doesn't matter anymore to some reviewers. As in did Madworld get good reviews for the gameplay or for looking like a stylized graphic novel? And the GTA IV reviews gushed about making this virutal world more than the gameplay.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The game is too short.
The problem it´s that wii is dead
All wii-core has other console

the wii -360 buy halo3 osd
the wii - ps3 wait for uncharted
the wii - ds buy mario and luigi or kindom hearts ds

All my friends buy a xbox360 bored of lame ps2 version , not street fighter 4, not resident evil 5 not cod 4, no assasin creed ......