By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Visceral Games:"Shame no one bought DS:Extraction, Wii support reconsidered

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I think the reason that Star Fox is the best on-rails shooter is because you don't feel like you're on rails. In most of these games, I'm constantly asking myself "Why am I jumping out this window? Why am I climbing into the sewer? Why am I sneaking into this pitch black hellhole full of monsters?" But in Star Fox, I know exactly where I'm going. I'm flying in a straight line to the boss, and I'm gonna blow his ass up. And there's no stupid camera shaking.

That, and the fact that you're not actually as constricted. Sure, you're always going forward, but you do have the ability to move sideways and up/down on the screen, you just can't really move the screen. That adds a lot because you need not only to shoot things quick and accurate, you have to avoid being hit too, at the same time, giving it more depth. Add combo multipliers for more frantic action, too, and a relativelly fast pace.

Sin And Punishment is basically the same formula and that, too, is one of the best on rail shooter experiences ever. Maybe even the best.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ail said:
WereKitten said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ail said:
KylieDog said:
routsounmanman said:
or when Resident Evil 4 became the most profitable PORT EVER.

Where the evidence of this?  RE4 PS2 port sold 3 million and released at full price.  RE4 Wii port has barely sold half of that and released at a budget price, thus making less money per copy sold.

You know, I think KylieDog just owned you....

Like he said, Re4 PS2 was a port and sold a lot more and was even GoTY for a few outlets the year it released...

And took nearly a year to downgrade to run on the PS2 hardware most of the graphics were drastically changed, the Wii port was the exact same assets as the Gamecube game (lighting, textures, etc) and only added in the extra content from the PS2 game and a IR pointer on screen, neither of which are developer intensive as going in and changing the models, cut scenes, the whole real time lighting structure, textures, so on and so forth, it very well could have cost Capcom more to change an entire game to run on the PS2 >_>

Still, 3M copies giving on average ~$15 each amounts to ~$45M for the publisher.

The cost of a game on the PS2 from the ground up was in the $6-10M range, and I'm sure we can agree that the porting must have cost way less than that maximum. Thus we're talking of $37-42M profit here. Let's say it's  around $40M.

The Wii port sold 1.6M, at budget price. Thus something like 1.6M x ~$12 = ~$19.2M. Even considering a very minimal cost for the porting (~$1M), we're still talking of barely half the profit of the PS2 port.

even if the Wii port was totally free, Re4 PS2 made more money...

Yes because every copy of RE4 PS2 was sold at full price <_< it couldn't be that part of those were the greatest hits and the Resident Evil essentals collection?  I don't know the budgets of either but to make it an open and shut case like everyone is making it is just stupid.

Let's also consider the fact that Re4 on PS2 is still outselling the Wii version on the weekly charts.

EDIT: Not quite, but it's still very close.

Yep and its probably from GameStop selling the game either in the collection or single for 8.99 :P Capcom is making a killing ;)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
outlawauron said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ail said:
WereKitten said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Ail said:
KylieDog said:
routsounmanman said:

Where the evidence of this?  RE4 PS2 port sold 3 million and released at full price.  RE4 Wii port has barely sold half of that and released at a budget price, thus making less money per copy sold.

Like he said, Re4 PS2 was a port and sold a lot more and was even GoTY for a few outlets the year it released...

And took nearly a year to downgrade to run on the PS2 hardware most of the graphics were drastically changed, the Wii port was the exact same assets as the Gamecube game (lighting, textures, etc) and only added in the extra content from the PS2 game and a IR pointer on screen, neither of which are developer intensive as going in and changing the models, cut scenes, the whole real time lighting structure, textures, so on and so forth, it very well could have cost Capcom more to change an entire game to run on the PS2 >_>

Still, 3M copies giving on average ~$15 each amounts to ~$45M for the publisher.

The cost of a game on the PS2 from the ground up was in the $6-10M range, and I'm sure we can agree that the porting must have cost way less than that maximum. Thus we're talking of $37-42M profit here. Let's say it's  around $40M.

The Wii port sold 1.6M, at budget price. Thus something like 1.6M x ~$12 = ~$19.2M. Even considering a very minimal cost for the porting (~$1M), we're still talking of barely half the profit of the PS2 port.

even if the Wii port was totally free, Re4 PS2 made more money...

Yes because every copy of RE4 PS2 was sold at full price <_< it couldn't be that part of those were the greatest hits and the Resident Evil essentals collection?  I don't know the budgets of either but to make it an open and shut case like everyone is making it is just stupid.

Let's also consider the fact that Re4 on PS2 is still outselling the Wii version on the weekly charts.

EDIT: Not quite, but it's still very close.

Yep and its probably from GameStop selling the game either in the collection or single for 8.99 :P Capcom is making a killing ;)

It's $13 for Ps2 and $20 for Wii on Amazon. Yes, it's a difference but the Ps2 version has been out for two more years.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

routsounmanman said:
Ail said:
KylieDog said:
routsounmanman said:

Oh come on, we all know RE4 and Okami were both DIRTY CHEAP ports.

No, you are all just assming they were. It's not likely they were expensive, but porting is not a cheap thing to do (unless the game is cheap in the first place). Unless we get an actual budget amount from Capcom, you don't really know if they were cheap or not.

And did you forget porting Okami didn't even have the original materials of the first game? You think basically having to reverse engineer the game code is cheap?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

kopstudent89 said:
its an on rails shooter... true abysmal sales even for an on rails shooter, but still you'd think companies would actually make a game that can appeal to both mainstream and hardcore...

Uh, this is their attempt at making Dead Space appeal to both casuals and the hardcore that's the whole point of this game. On rails shooters are so easy that the casuals can get into it easily. If you mean casual friendly like family friendly then there's a lot of that on the Wii already, there isn't a lot of horror.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
kopstudent89 said:
its an on rails shooter... true abysmal sales even for an on rails shooter, but still you'd think companies would actually make a game that can appeal to both mainstream and hardcore...

Uh, this is their attempt at making Dead Space appeal to both casuals and the hardcore that's the whole point of this game. On rails shooters are so easy that the casuals can get into it easily. If you mean casual friendly like family friendly then there's a lot of that on the Wii already, there isn't a lot of horror.

Except for the other 4 or 5 horror rail shooters that have already come out.

I'd guess there are more horror rail shooters on the Wii then there has ever been... on any console.

House of the Dead is not actual horror but it is on rails, just cause there are zombies in it doesn't make it horror. Then I guess Gears of War is a horror game cause there are ugly aliens in it or Dead Rising is a horror game cause you kill zombies.

ckmlb said:
House of the Dead is not actual horror but it is on rails, just cause there are zombies in it doesn't make it horror. Then I guess Gears of War is a horror game cause there are ugly aliens in it or Dead Rising is a horror game cause you kill zombies.

Do you know some claimed removing the time limit from Chop Till You Drop is actually a disadvantage because not having to watch the clock supposedly detracts from the horror in the game?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

It doesn't help that reviewers have messed up their trust. High scores mean little these days, they have hurt consumer confidence by giving such low scores to games like The Conduit. Can't trust early reviews, and the game is so short by the time you get reviews from users you can trust, you get confirmation that DSE is not worth $50, unlike The Conduit which in some ways might not be as polished, but it has a much better online replay value, even at $50.

What makes you think casuals want a rail shooter??? I don't think they do, and if they do, make it like MOHH2, and have a be an optional arcade mode, and not the main game.

LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:

Do you know some claimed removing the time limit from Chop Till You Drop is actually a disadvantage because not having to watch the clock supposedly detracts from the horror in the game?

I would say it's a negative also, but a time limit doesn't make a it a horror game it just makes it slightly harder.

Horror games: Condemned, Dead Space, Resident Evil 1-3, Silent Hill.

Not Horror games: Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil 4-5, Dead Rising (action games with zombies)